Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My First Withdeane experience

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I am probably going to get a backlash here BUT, On visiting Withdeane for thr first ttime, it would be more if I could, I cannot believe the lack of atmosphere throughout the game. The usual lot (krispies etc etc) were doing their best to get people singing but to no avail.

I have been a Seagulls fan for quite a few years now and have no intention of withdrawing my support but, CHRIST DO WE NEED FALMER!!!!

C'MON PRESCOTT GET YOUR FINGER OUT!!!!

:angry:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
The Northstander said:
I am probably going to get a backlash here BUT, On visiting Withdeane for thr first ttime, it would be more if I could, I cannot believe the lack of atmosphere throughout the game. The usual lot (krispies etc etc) were doing their best to get people singing but to no avail.

I have been a Seagulls fan for quite a few years now and have no intention of withdrawing my support but, CHRIST DO WE NEED FALMER!!!!

nice to meet you :wave: yeah atmos is shit but thats what you get without a roof, away games prove this...well they have to me anyway!

kevinsmith

Jan 25, 2004
Portslade
I fully agree. The noise level at Withdean is 0 and would not put the fear up any visiting team. However we seem to have made it a fortress this year. Lets hope for one more time this season it continues.

Bring on the play-offs and more importantly FALMER

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Trigger said:
Yes, was nice to meet you, and your missus ;)

I'm looking forward to RAIDING her pub next season :lolol:

Yeah she loved it, had a little too much of the ole rose wine mind!

Purely due to atmos she compared Saturday to watching a local sunday league game. She loves Leon and I've got her singing GOSBTS now!! HAVE IT!!

:clap2:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No backlash from me either (except perhaps for spelling Withdean WITHDEANE). It's like the time Lou Macari likened playing there to 'playing a pre-season friendly in Norway'. We all went, 'yup, fair comment'.

Mind you we don't help ourselves, you hear loads of stories of people being told to sit down and shut up for trying to start songs or chants.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Brovian said:
Mind you we don't help ourselves, you hear loads of stories of people being told to sit down and shut up for trying to start songs or chants.
yep every saturday , its pissing me off now :angry:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Expecting grief here, but the football on offer recently has hardly been cause for standing up shouting and singing.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Re: Re: My First Withdeane experience

CrabtreeBHA said:
nice to meet you :wave: yeah atmos is shit but thats what you get without a roof, away games prove this...well they have to me anyway!
Proven at Bristol City especially, my ears are still ringing!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Having sat in the North Stand for the Peterborough game, I was mildly surprised at how loud the South Stand actually is - its noisier than it seems when you're sitting in the South (my season ticket is in D block). Having said that though, its still hardly a cauldron of noise. But then.what do you expect playing at a sports centre ?

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Sitting in the North Stand (as one does) the atmosphere sounds rather better out of the South Stand, than when you are in it.

Its NOT that bad, but f***, lets hope its only for another few seasons.

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London
The Northstander said:

doesnt surprise me.what have you averaged at home this year? and what does your ground hold?? no pisstake intended its a genuine question

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
my first experience of Withdean was running a lap with Steve Ovett when I was about 9 or 10 (1980-81)

I dont think anyone would disagree with you Northstander, and I dont think anybody should disagree with Pastie either, I've seen very little this season and what I have was about as exciting and inspiring as darning socks :eek:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
zefarelly said:
my first experience of Withdean was running a lap with Steve Ovett when I was about 9 or 10 (1980-81)

mine was one of the Firework Displays they had many many years ago

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
zefarelly said:

Blimey, my first memory of Withdean was running for my school in the Town Sports in about 1978, in the days when it was still a sinder track. Thought it was an awesome place then. Obviously my opinion has changed somewhat since. Jesus, now I feel REALLY old.
Think this could be a new thread starting up here.:)

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My first experience of Withdean was a Cub Scout and I had to take part in a re-enactment of the Relief Of Mafeking! I'm not making this up, we had to dress up as British Soldiers and we marched across from about where the commentary box is now to relieve Kitchner and drive off the pesky Boers. This was in 1966. I can't tell you the exact day but it was the day we beat Argentina 1-0 in the World Cup. When the news was announced at the end of the day we were all allowed to throw our caps in the air.

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London
Brovian said:
My first experience of Withdean was a Cub Scout and I had to take part in a re-enactment of the Relief Of Mafeking! I'm not making this up, we had to dress up as British Soldiers and we marched across from about where the commentary box is now to relieve Kitchner and drive off the pesky Boers. This was in 1966. I can't tell you the exact day but it was the day we beat Argentina 1-0 in the World Cup. When the news was announced at the end of the day we were all allowed to throw our caps in the air.
i feel sorry for you

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Re: Re: My First Withdeane experience

eagles #1 said:
doesnt surprise me.what have you averaged at home this year? and what does your ground hold?? no pisstake intended its a genuine question

Attendances have benn down this year but that is understandable given that last year we were in Div 1 and most teams brought the full allocation (a massive 700 !)

In this division that has only happened on a few occassions (QPR, Brizzle City, Plymouth, Luton & Sheff Wed)

Admittedly home support has also been down this season but many supporters are just fed up of watching football at one of the worst grounds in the league.

Although the seats sold in the home areas are still over 90% of capacity for every game.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Mine was watching the Brighton B-52s American football team. There used to be that crappy old stand at the main road end.

Atmosphere or not, watching the Albion there is still a million miles better than watching American football.

De-fence! clap clap
De-fence! clap clap

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here