Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Musicals - Yay or Gay

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
I have to say the mere thought of musicals is enough to make me angry. People leaning out of window, joining in the song - people prancing around, swinging round lamp posts - over-earnest facial expressions... aargh! f*** off!

However, saying that, I was quite partial to South Park, and as mentioned before, Moulin Rouge was quite enjoyable in gay kind of way.

Maybe I've just had bad experiences, but people prancing around saying "by golly!" isn't my idea of fun.

In fact, forget what I said, ALL musicals are shite, and if you disagree you're wrong.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Are you including West End Musicals CD?

I have recently seem Mama Mia (Abba music) and Our House (Madness) and I thought they were brilliant!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Never been to a musical, not my cuppa tea but if the oppertunity ever arose I would think about it...so its a yaygay for me i'm afraid!

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
West End musicals can be good but the ones on screen are pants, cant remember which one it was but theres a basketball scene in one and it is the most gayest thing I've ever seen :lolol:

Also how does everyone always know the words ???

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Are we talking all musicals here - or just the Rogers and Hammerstein ones that get shown every Christmas/Easter?

Went to see the Lion King a couple of years ago - widely acclaimed and regarded as a show that reinvents the concept of the musical. The Phantom of the Opera was pretty amazing too IMHO - great musical score and sensitive acting.

Having dissed R & H, I took part in a college production of Oklahoma! more than a few years ago. Looking back, parts of it did seem more than a little twee, but one could argue that a certain innocence was all part of its charm. It was also great fun to do. And as every Red Scouser knows, the football anthem 'You'll Never Walk Alone' was originally in 'Carousel'.

I will, however, willingly concede that there are precious few excuses for seeing Danny La Rue in 'Hello Dolly' on the London stage. It wasn't even that good as a film...

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Cheshire you've clearly never seen Blood Brothers !.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Live musicals are a different matter - but you have to be careful. I once saw Cats. "McKavity, McKavity, the mystery Cat!" Feck off!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I love musicals. In fact my favourite film is High Society. All good innocent fun.

Gene Kelly in Singing in the Rain & Anchors Aweigh.
Yul Brynner in the King & I.
South Pacific & Oklahoma

I saw Doctor Dolittle in the West End and the Buddy Holly Story.

Then there are the Gilbert & Sullivan Operetta's which were the satirical comedies of their era. I love the Mikado.

Dandyman

In London village.
Gayer than a camp load of boy scouts !

:ohmy:

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
On stage - good fun. On screen - gayer than Julian Clary.

Witness Antonio Benderas in Evita.

I rest my case.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There's nothing gay about Chicago, the musical. Top drawer.

Mind you, I was distinctly underwhelmed by Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I thought it was pony, although the wife thought it was OK which was a good thing really as it was her birthday.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I can see it now - Yorkie, Lush and Tedebear as The Mikado's "3 little maids from school".

Hmmm, now that's an idea for pre-season entertainment down the Lord Nelson...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Saw The Lion King in London a few weeks back - top drawer.

Saw Miss Saigon on Broadway which was a fantastic night out.

Saw Sunset Boulevard in Melbourne which was also very good.

Saw Grease, Starlight Express and Joseph when a great deal younger, but also remember them to be worthwhile.

My verdict: Stage musicals, thus far, very good indeed.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
"Three little maids from school are we,
Filled to the brim with G and T"

(Just editing this to say: Hart's Shirt it is a great pleasure to see you posing on NSC again. You have been sorely missed.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here