Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MP causes residents of town major embarrasment on BBC TV.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's got naff all to do with meat-free Mondays specifically. My point is on a much wider issue; it hurts because I feel that the City is being used.

I love Brighton. I love that it is a free thinking and progressive city. I hate the fact that a political party has latched on to it to promote it's own gains.

People can vote for who they want and good luck to them. I just happen to think they've been duped.

How has it been latched on to? The Green vote has been building steadily over the past decade. Their recent victory is not a flash in the pan overnight success. In terms of the council the city centre has been solid green for years, because the electorate seems to be mainly full of green voters. I don't think people have been duped at all, they are just sick and tired of the same old, same old from the two main parties. If any result in recent years has been an aberration it was the one that left an essentially left-leaning and progressive city with a cut-thristy Tory administration.

Now that they have finally got into a position of responsibilty it is up to the greens to prove they can handle or risk getting slung out at the next election. I wish them every success in that endeavour.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
But as has been mentioned on here several times, the Greens didn't introduce it into Brighton - the Tories did.

It just so happens that the Greens also support it. Apart from that, there's little political mileage to be gained.

Introduce what? Are you still waffling on about meat free Mondays? I have already explained it has nothing to do with that. Some of the OPs points struck a chord with me, that's all.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
We shall see.

Happy to be proved wrong but I reserve judgement as much as I reserve my entitlement to an opinion.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How has it been latched on to? The Green vote has been building steadily over the past decade. Their recent victory is not a flash in the pan overnight success. In terms of the council the city centre has been solid green for years, because the electorate seems to be mainly full of green voters. I don't think people have been duped at all, they are just sick and tired of the same old, same old from the two main parties. If any result in recent years has been an aberration it was the one that left an essentially left-leaning and progressive city with a cut-thristy Tory administration.

Now that they have finally got into a position of responsibilty it is up to the greens to prove they can handle or risk getting slung out at the next election. I wish them every success in that endeavour.

hear hear!

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Alright we get it. He's a Tory

No he's the worst kind of Tory, one who accuses other Parties of using exactly the kind of tactics to promote themselves and stay in power as his Party has used for centuries, back to the times of the rotten boroughs.

By these tactics the Tories won back Seaford in May, and also control of Lewes District Council , the one they really wanted, after 20 years of LD control. Another 4 years would have been a record for the Libs/Libdems at any level of local government.

So (in my personal view) - a whole series of lies and half-truths about future LD policy in Seaford and Lewes area generally were floated, either by leaflets or by word-of-mouth. Rumours of schemes to build on our one patch of allotments. Hints that a housing development would be approved by LDC in a key field below Seaford Head which has ben under the shadow for some years now. Acusations that Seaford Town Council had withdrawn funding for the local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Result: on LDC Tories gained 3 Seaford seats from LD's and one from an Independent former LD who wasn't standing again. That was their sum total of net gains on LDC. Result? Old Lewes District Council 21 LD - 18 Tory - 2 Ind. New Council 22 - Tory 18 LD - 1 Ind. Compared to what happened elsewhere hardly a Tory landslide was it?

And of course two of those Tory Councillors are coming up before the magistrates next week..

It's got naff all to do with meat-free Mondays specifically. My point is on a much wider issue; it hurts because I feel that the City is being used.

I love Brighton. I love that it is a free thinking and progressive city. I hate the fact that a political party has latched on to it to promote it's own gains.

People can vote for who they want and good luck to them. I just happen to think they've been duped.

The same could be said for Labour when they took both Brighton seats in 1997 and if you want to go back far enough, when the Tories gained supremacy from the Liberals in the 1800's.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
If I ever wanted to know about Green politics in Brighton, the OP is the LAST person I would refer to for truth, accuracy and honesty. As has been shown many times on here, when it comes to this subject, he doesn't know what he's on about.

As I stated in my first post - I am intelligent to know that most of what he says is nonsense (apologies HB&B but it's true). That doesn't mean that everything he says is nonsense though. His assesment of Lucas was pretty much spot on in my opinion.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As I stated in my first post - I am intelligent to know that most of what he says is nonsense (apologies HB&B but it's true). That doesn't mean that everything he says is nonsense though. His assesment of Lucas was pretty much spot on in my opinion.

However you are reserving judgement...

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
It is the first step on the rung. What next?

It is the start of the Greens social organsing. This will soon spread over Brighton & Hove. All economic and social activity will be closly monitored and manipulated by the Greens.

communism.

images

Doom I tell you DoOOOOOOOM

Last edited:

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
Did anybody hear that Green Party councillor talk about the Amex on Radio Sussex this morning? He was saying how big a football fan he was, how benficial to the area the Stadium was and how the environmental effect on the area was not as great as had been feared. WHAT THE F*CK HAD WE BEEN TELLING THEM FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS :tantrum: Perhaps we should send them the bill for the public enquiries etc?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Right. Without wading thru all this go left, go right, go straight up ahead, go left, go right, go left nonsense.

What is meat free mondays exactly as far as the council is concerned?

I saw that interview and Im none the wiser :shrug:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Did anybody hear that Green Party councillor talk about the Amex on Radio Sussex this morning? He was saying how big a football fan he was, how benficial to the area the Stadium was and how the environmental effect on the area was not as great as had been feared. WHAT THE F*CK HAD WE BEEN TELLING THEM FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS :tantrum: Perhaps we should send them the bill for the public enquiries etc?

To be fair, (and I am sure I'll be corrected), but I believe there was only 1 Green councillor on the planning committee at that time. Can hardly hold them responsible when there are 11 other councillors on that committee!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here