Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most Underrated band of all time

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Stranglers, no contest.

Never make the top 100 bands of all time for some reason. Vastly superior to the overrated sex pistols who both started at the same time.

The sex pistol make the top 10 but the Stranglers nowhere
???

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ezio, accoustic guitar genius' who write songs with great lyrics and are as good live as any band I've ever seen.

duo.jpg

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Killing Joke were a very underrated band. A pioneering band who influenced many others over the years but who had very little in the way of chart success themselves.

Bizarrely, they are Kate Bush's favourite band, and their influence can be clearly heard on her 'Hounds of Love' album (particularly on the single 'The Big Sky', which features former Joke bassist Youth).

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I'll be shot for this, but

Linkin Park are seriously underrated, or possibly underappreciated is a better term. Their music is pretty good but regulasly dismissed as being little more than pop, just because of the genre its in..

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Gareth Glover said:
The sex pistols make the top 10 but the Stranglers nowhere

Things is, GG, if the Pistols hadn't battered down the doors of the music industry it's possible the Stranglers would never have got a deal.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I wouldn't call the Stranglers underrated. You're more likely to hear them on the radio now than the Sex Pistols

Then again, its the later, cleaner stuff thats played, like Golden Brown. Which is about heroin, I know....

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
On the subject of the Stranglers, if any fans haven't got it yet I can highly recommend a book entitled 'The Stranglers Song By Song' by Hugh Cornwell and Jim Drury.

The book contains details of what each and every Stranglers track that was recorded when Cornwell was with the band meant, and explanations of how they came together both lyrically and musically. Fascinating stuff for Stranglers anoraks such as myself.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Undertones.
Pretty Things.
Spooky Tooth.
Nazareth.
Streetwalkers.
Man.
Clash.
Stranglers.
String Driven Thing.
Vandergraph Generator.

Is that enough?

G

Stackridge.

Bit of a cult band in the 70's but brilliant none the less.

I only had vinyl and my missus made me give the turntable and all of my albums away some time ago so I have not heard Stackridge for years. Apparently having my albums neatly lined up either side of the fireplace was too 70's for her tastes in the 90's.

No-ones more important than.........

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
garry nelsons left foot said:

Aah yes, the mighty Sunburst.

Incidentally GNLF, "The First Cut" still gets an occasional airing at the Hove Park Cafe and is widely reckoned to have stood the test of time. One old woman described it as 'quite incredible'. Rumours that the band are to reform for a one-off spectacular are unfounded, as Bent Skid is apparently getting married and emigrating to South Africa. Seriously.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here