Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

most of you will have heard of this today [School choices]

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
most of you will have heard of this today

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6403017.stm

Brighton and Hove are going to allocate schools by ballott, not by applications.

Does this affect anyone on here with kids looking to go to school?

I remember a mate of mine mortgaging himself to the hilt to get a house in Surrenden Road to get his kids in Varndean a few years ago, and they ended up in Dorothy Stringer, hated it and were transferred to the next school available....Falmer.

He tried to sue B&H over their policy of allocation all thos eyears ago

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Which are reckoned to the good, the bad and the ugly schools in Brighton and Hove these days then?

As a Labour supporter, this governmental obsession with choice is a load of crap. Education shouldn't be about choice or treating pupil like consumers. It should be about quality education, for everyone.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
turienzo's lovechild said:
everything else is fairly poor
Cheers - even Longhill? :( :angry:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Although both my kids went throught PCC, I would not recommend their 6th form, especially as my Bex had 3 of her A level teachers leave half way through her studies.

We are now paying for a private teacher for her Chemistry and we will probably do the same for her maths, which we shouldnt have to do!!!!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Send them all to Downlands in Hassocks. They produce an excellent calibre of individual. Take myself, Kinky and Edna for starters.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I think this is the only workable solution to the problem.

It's not fair to deprive a student due to proximity, because that will more than likely mean those from lower socio-economic backgrounds missing out.

At least a lottery system allows for an even chance.

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Ernest said:
They should bring back the grammar schools and capital punishment in them, a good thrashing didn't do me any harm and made me the man I am today :angry: :angry: :angry:

Capital punishment in schools?

You're advocating actually executing kids for not doing homework?

Or did you mean corporal punishment?

;)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
tedebear said:
Why shouldn't you be expected to take your kids to school in the area in which you live?

Too right, we live 100 yards from a secondary school but because we were born to the wrong faith our daughter has to attend the only other secondary school in Bexhill which for her first year was three miles away and now two (there are two parts to the school)

What makes matters worse is probably 70% of the children at the school next door dont even live in the town - they even get free f***ing train or bus travel

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Frutos said:
Capital punishment in schools?

You're advocating actually executing kids for not doing homework?

Or did you mean corporal punishment?

;)

I would limagine he means Capital.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
tedebear said:
Why shouldn't you be expected to take your kids to school in the area in which you live?

Why should you though? Just because you happened to live near school A but school B the other side of town, is better suited to your child's needs?

I'd hate it if my children were forced to attend our nearest school or had their education sorted by a silly lottery system.

We have a village school within walking distance pretty much, but our children attend a school a fair distance from home because it is best suited to our faith and their needs.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Gazwag said:
Too right, we live 100 yards from a secondary school but because we were born to the wrong faith our daughter has to attend the only other secondary school in Bexhill which for her first year was three miles away and now two (there are two parts to the school)

What makes matters worse is probably 70% of the children at the school next door dont even live in the town - they even get free f***ing train or bus travel

If you live in Bexhill you should just be glad she's getting an education at all.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Starry said:
I'd hate it if my children were forced to attend our nearest school or had their education sorted by a silly lottery system.

We have a village school within walking distance pretty much, but our children attend a school a fair distance from home because it is best suited to our faith and their needs.

It must be nice to have a choice

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Starry said:
Absolutely. And everyone should have that choice.

I think modern economics means that is not an option unfortunately.

When i was a school governor, I heard some very compelling arguments to do away with this huge beurocracy called LEA's that soak up millions and millions of pounds that should be spend directly on schools

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Starry said:
Why should you though? Just because you happened to live near school A but school B the other side of town, is better suited to your child's needs?

Because if you supported your local school, and in turn the local parents became involved in their local school, the sense of community and standard of education would be increased.

Not to mention the environmental impact of having to drive your kids to school. The benefit of being able to walk, or take a local bus to school, and having neighbours who's kids go to the same school.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Dave the Gaffer said:
I think modern economics means that is not an option unfortunately.

When i was a school governor, I heard some very compelling arguments to do away with this huge beurocracy called LEA's that soak up millions and millions of pounds that should be spend directly on schools

I know. And therein lies one of the biggest problems with education in this country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here