Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most memorable - PETERBOROUGH (a)

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
(Dedicated to & inspired by HB&B)

With no Albion stats site, i've had to dip into the Posh one as my memory is slightly confused, and rightly so as it turns out. You see, I remember that, in those dark seasons at Gillingham, there were two outstanding displays at Posh, both were 2-1 wins and, it turns out, both were played on the 28th December, in 1997 and then 1998.

If i remember rightly, Albion were really struggling in '97 and were only the 91st worst side in the league because asset stripped Donny were at 92. Our side of odds & sods had given us little to cheer and hopes were not high with a trip to high flying Peterborough.

Although crowds at Pissfield were poor, we still had good support away and P'boro was a bit of a glamour trip so there was a good following. Ritchie 'The Bear' Barker, who had not really impressed so far, stole the show as a one man forward battering ram who rode posh ragged. He was absolutly superb and really won the Albion fans over with his wholeharted effort, as he still does, now playing for Rotherham.

Lightening struck again 12 months later. Albion were a better side but we didn't expect the same result. Indeed, it appears that we have not lost in our last 6 visits to London Road, quite a record which i doubt will be extended tomorrow.

Albion usually have a good turn out and the game has seen a few flashpoints in the past and I've seen bonfires, flares (and flairs!) and a fair bit of trouble with the OB inside the ground & the locals outside.

The 1st time I went there was in 74 and there were not many of us, much to the delight of the locals. My next visit was also pretty scary and I remember hoping that one day we'd be back with a 'mob' and that's how it turned out in later years.

Thankfully, more recent visits have been a bit more friendly. They did dedicate an awful pub for away fans, but that may have been demolished, or fallen down. There was a very nice barge on the river selling a fine selection of ales, but they are also selective on their clinetel.

This was a game I was hoping to go to and I am even off this week but, with such inept displays, this season, I need to keep my funds safe, in case we make Wembly in the Piss Pot!

:ascarf:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
The same game for me, Richie Barker towering header, bosh, cue crowd going wild.

Cannot forget the one, when Zamora wasnt suppose to be playing, and when his name was announced the crowd celebrating like we scored.

He then scored, we won the game, and I think it may have been when Gary Hart broke his leg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I thought you'd have gone for the Cup game in '86.

I caught the Seagulls Special train which ran from Brighton direct to Peterborough which was fab - no stops, no connections. During this cup run, we were wearing our "lucky" red kit and so everyone on the train also got a free red Albion scarf. We took loads up there and it was probably the number of Albion fans who were there that meant the game was played when it really shouldn't have been due to the amount of snow on the pitch.

We conceded a goal when a shot struck a small mound of snow, deflecting the ball over our keeper (Moseley?) who had it comfortably covered otherwise.

Our lucky red kit did the job though and we salvaged a draw, going on to beat Posh in the replay, setting up a quarter round tie against Southampton which, if I recall correctly, was shown live on ITV on the Sunday afternoon.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
The only time ive been was the 2-2 draw in McGhee's first game in charge.

That seems like such a long time ago now...

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

I caught the Seagulls Special train which ran from Brighton direct to Peterborough which was fab - no stops, no connections. We were wearing our "lucky" red kit and so everyone on the train also got a free red Albion scarf. We took loads up there and it was probably the number of Albion fans who were there that meant the game was played when it really shouldn't have been due to the amount of snow on the pitch.
I got on this train at Haywards Heath (so there was at least one stop) and my Lucky Red Scarf is still nailed to the ceiling in my garage.

It would be great to think they might bring back the Seagull Special train again some day. But the last time they did, I remember it going the long way all round Guildford via Redhill and taking bloody ages.

The same game for me, Richie Barker towering header, bosh, cue crowd going wild.

Cannot forget the one, when Zamora wasnt suppose to be playing, and when his name was announced the crowd celebrating like we scored.

He then scored, we won the game, and I think it may have been when Gary Hart broke his leg

was that the San Siro red flare game - absolutely great atmosphere

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
was that the San Siro red flare game - absolutely great atmosphere

Could have been, yes.

Does anyone know, or know what happened to, Roger Gray - Albion fan who always had Italian style flares (the pyrotechnic, not the trouser) for the big occasion games?

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill

:clap2: We heard a rumour on the radio on the way up that he would be playing, and when the PA (who seemed to be on our side if I recall!!) announced his name, the terrace ERUPTED. Marvellous scenes.

It was the game where Gary broke his legs, and Bobby missed an early penalty if my memory serves.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I caught the Seagulls Special train which ran from Brighton direct to Peterborough which was fab - no stops, no connections. During this cup run, we were wearing our "lucky" red kit and so everyone on the train also got a free red Albion scarf. We took loads up there and it was probably the number of Albion fans who were there that meant the game was played when it really shouldn't have been due to the amount of snow on the pitch.

We conceded a goal when a shot struck a small mound of snow, deflecting the ball over our keeper (Moseley?) who had it comfortably covered otherwise.
I quite liked the 2-1 with Barker scoring, but this is the one I remember. Took the coach with 6,000 others and we were rammed into their tiny away end. Genuinely shat it when we scored because I thought I was going to be crushed (and this was pre-Hillsborough)

Our lucky red kit did the job though and we salvaged a draw, going on to beat Posh in the replay, setting up a quarter round tie against Southampton which, if I recall correctly, was shown live on ITV on the Sunday afternoon.
I don't think it was. Over 25,000 there for that one though, and a totally shit performance summarised by Eric Young literally chaperoning Glenn Cockerill into our penalty area allowing him to virtually pass the ball into our onion bag. Luckily the stains went on to lose to Everton in the semi.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I would go for the snow game, took my camera with me and still have some really poor black and white photos somewhere (not the Worlds greatest photographer sadly), will try and scan them sometime and post them on the photo section.

Legend

Prince Of Darkness
Jul 5, 2003
Lancing

I think the keeper was Perry Digweed. I seem to remember Kieran O'Regan got our equalizer a couple of minutes from the end (My memory is not as good as it used to be!!)

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I think the keeper was Perry Digweed. I seem to remember Kieran O'Regan got our equalizer a couple of minutes from the end (My memory is not as good as it used to be!!)

I was there and I also thought it was Perry Digweed.

Legend

Prince Of Darkness
Jul 5, 2003
Lancing
Just checked. It was Digweed in goal. The equalizer was scored by Steve Jacobs though.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis

We got promoted the next day as well.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
this will be my fifth time there.

1-1 cup game(flair)
0-0 league the same season
1-0 zamora, hart et all.
and Mcghees first game in charge. if my memory serves me correctly we drew 2-2 and we wore yellow.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Can't be many of us who have seen us lose up there. Thought I'd drop that in before tomorrow's score.

The cup game was a good'un, very tense and, because of the snowcovered pitch, anything could have happened.

I made my choice because it was one of those great, but rare, Albion games where we were near the bottom, they were near the top and nobody, even us, gave us a chance.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I reckon' you might know my old man, Das...

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
In the early 90's I worked right next to the ground for a few months. Saw one game on a Tuesday night. Posh knocked Liverpool out of the FA cup. Does that count?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here