Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most memorable - Oldham (h).

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Oldham, like the town, can best be described as dour. looking over the years, there's a fair number of draws, often goaless, or where they have one 1-0. Especially springing to mind was a 0-1 suffered by Pat Saward's promotion side of 71/72 who just couldn't find a way through.

It's all very different from my 1st encounter on a sunny August day in 1968. I was still in my Albion infancy so the 6-0 scoreline was quite something. Not only that, but Albion had six scorers, Paul Flood, Stewart henderson with a very rare goal, Howard Wilkinson, Kit Napier, John Templeman & Charlie Livesey.

Can the boys of 08 match the boys of 68?. They'd also have to notch up a 4-0 lead by half time. Knock up scores like that & the crowds will come back.

:ascarf::albion2::ascarf:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The '91 fixture was probably my 5th or 6th game. I remember being terribly upset when the 6-1 result came through for the away fixture and was determined that the new love of my life would gain revenge for such a heartbreaking scoreline.

Alas, it was not to be. We lost 2-1 and I think Chivers equalised, before they grabbed a late winner. It seemed as though the ground was heaving with bodies, but presumably no more than 10,000 people. I was in the West Stand if my memory serves me correctly.

EDIT: The most memorable, as it was my first defeat. :down:

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I remember a 1-1 at the Goldstone in I think '89 . They scored an equaliser from quite literally the half way line. Flew in like a rocket, Keelo had no chance, thats about all I can remember.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The first time I saw us play Oldham was in a replay in about 1978 at Filbert Street - in the days long ago before penalty shoot outs. Seem to recall we lost 2-1.

Ah you, like me, was one of the few.

Those were the days (my friend...) when, after a reply, you then moved to a nutral ground for the 2nd replay and Leicester was the chosen ground.

I think fewer than 2,000 attended and i know some of the local kids had come along to see Peter Ward.

A much better match that day was the about 50 a side we played in a local park. As there was a Seagull Special train with the players, we had an afternoon to kill and how bleak were those days when pubs shut in the afternoon?

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Peter Taylor's debut as manager, a 3-0 win with Lee Steele getting a brace in 2001

I remember Oatway getting one with a pea roller from outside the box. Its probably the strangest slow motion goal I've ever seen us score at Withdean!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I HATE Oldham ever since their LOONY fans tried to KILL me and Beach Hut after the game there and we had to FLEE for our LIVES :angry::angry::angry:

Thought that was Bolton away ?

Anyway the pints of lager with Bacardi chasers went down well at Rochdale bus station

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The only Oldham game stuck in my memory is the 6-1 away drubbing. Can't really recall anything about a home game against them.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I remember a 1-1 at the Goldstone in I think '89 . They scored an equaliser from quite literally the half way line. Flew in like a rocket, Keelo had no chance, thats about all I can remember.

Probably one of the best goals i've seen at the Goldstone. Wasn't Andy Ritchie playing for Oldham that day. I remember the goal well....whoever scored it was slightly towards the east terrace just a few yards in Brightons half and he unleashed this shot towards the north stand and i swear the ball would still be travelling today if there wasn't a net to stop it !!!

Oct 25, 2003
I remember Oatway getting one with a pea roller from outside the box. Its probably the strangest slow motion goal I've ever seen us score at Withdean!

wasn't that game, steele and i think rogers scored in that one

i remember that game more as john sheridan played the ULTIMATE lower elague play maker role, literally not leaving the centre circle and SPRAYING the passes around

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here