Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most inappropriate ever sporting quote

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, they're a bit gutted after France. But this [from the SMH web site]?

Veteran All Black hooker Anton Oliver aptly summed it up. "The feeling in the [New Zealand] shed is like no man's land. There's a sort of desolate decay and the smell of death," he said.

So there you have it. The All Blacks' premature World Cup exit is the same as the trenches in World War I.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Also classic Australian newspaper tactics - after their boys get bombed out, turn the spotlight on the Kiwis...we in this country tend to lambast losing teams, Australia pretend it never happened and talk about swimming for a week instead.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Someone remind me of the protagonists on this one:

Presenter (on asking a black pundit about the prospects for the German team in the world cup)

"what about this Ruminegger then?"

Black pundit:

"What rumour?"

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Also classic Australian newspaper tactics - after their boys get bombed out, turn the spotlight on the Kiwis...we in this country tend to lambast losing teams, Australia pretend it never happened and talk about swimming for a week instead.

Theres a play thats quite popular here about the time Munster beat New Zealand 12-0 in an exhibition game; it was MASSIVELY popular when touring Australia :D:D

medicine man

Jan 22, 2004
by the sea
The commentator at Valley Parade after Bradford had scored who announced the striker had "really set the crowd alight"

It was a "did I hear what I thought I heard" moment.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Ray Stubbs on BBC radio's 5 Live '606' this evening...

"Whilst he was at the FA, Sven had more than his fair share of knockers..."

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Someone remind me of the protagonists on this one:

Presenter (on asking a black pundit about the prospects for the German team in the world cup)

"what about this Ruminegger then?"

Black pundit:

"What rumour?"

That one never happened. It was an old joke featuring Jimmy Hill and Garth Crooks.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Ray Stubbs on BBC radio's 5 Live '606' this evening...

"Whilst he was at the FA, Sven had more than his fair share of knockers..."

*guffaw*

Stubbsy. Legend. And heir to the Bob Wilson trophy.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Mike Gatting, live on Sky, on Flintoff's Ashes celebrations: "It's not like there were rapes or anything".

*winces*

....straight out of the 'David Brent' school of commentary, that one.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
That one never happened. It was an old joke featuring Jimmy Hill and Garth Crooks.

Don't know why multi-quote doesn't work for me but I beg to differ.

This did happen and it was Motson interviewing Garth Crooks after Spurs had just played a German team (Bayern?) for whom Karl-Heinz Rumminigge (sp?) had starred. Crooks was a Spurs player.

I nearly choked at hearing this quite innocent question and how Crooks replied. The interview would not have been showed live so I could well believe that it may have been something Crooks 'set up' with Motson feeding the line.

:laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here