Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most hilarious Scotland result ever

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
As it's nearly World Cup season, vote for your favourite ever Scotland international result here, to help them get into the World Cup spirit.

It was meant to be a poll, naturally, but I seem to have cocked that up. The options were going to be:

1. Iran 1978

2. Peru 1978

3. Costa Rica 1990

4. Faroe Islands 2003(?)

5. Other:

Last edited:

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
thought they did well to get a point at home to the faroe islands a few years back. i could be wrong but im sure its true.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Didn't they get beaten 2-1 by Kuwait in a World Cup Finals some years back?

Oct 25, 2003
graz126 said:
thought they did well to get a point at home to the faroe islands a few years back. i could be wrong but im sure its true.

it was away to the faroe islands, they were 2-0 down and got it back to 2-2 during vogts's shambolic reign

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
tommy boy said:
it was away to the faroe islands, they were 2-0 down and got it back to 2-2 during vogts's shambolic reign

A plucky draw though, for the Scottish minnows :lolol:

Bless them, they're getting very excited this week after winning some tournament in the Far East featuring the MIGHTY Japan

:clap2:

Yep, Scotland are back, on the march with Walter's Army!

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
May have been Lithuania.

That Estonia (?) game was funny when only Scotland turned up.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I can't choose between Peru and Costa Rica. Both were excellent. While we're at it, the drubbing by Morocco at France 98 was also memorable.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Faroes draw was quality but Costa Rica is king - I was there at Dundee Uni when they won and the big screen was lucky not to have been broken after the deluge of cans and plastic bottles raining down on the final whistle.

Happy days.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Costa Rica was just brilliant. I emerged from my last final exam at uni, already mildly pleased, to be told Scotland were just about to lose to the central American minnows. The day just got better and better from there.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Northern Ireland 1 - 0 England

Zed Seagull

Tooting Gull said:
Costa Rica was just brilliant. I emerged from my last final exam at uni, already mildly pleased, to be told Scotland were just about to lose to the central American minnows. The day just got better and better from there.

Costa Rica also beat Sweden 2-1 and narrowly lost 1-0 to Brazil. Not bad for minnows eh?

England have never beaten Sweden have they? Funny that.

Zed Seagull said:
Costa Rica also beat Sweden 2-1 and narrowly lost 1-0 to Brazil. Not bad for minnows eh?

England have never beaten Sweden have they? Funny that.

Sorry, Zed - not true. England have beaten Sweden 6 times (with 6 wins to Sweden and 8 draws).

Anyway, stop being so defensive. Go on the attack instead. I'm surprised you haven't put forward Wembley in '67 or some such game.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Zed- most of those, fair enough.

But nobody gave a shit about the Australia game, it was only ever a friendly (apart from for the Australians, who, as usual, felt they had a point to prove).

So I dispute that was either (a) a shock or (b) a disappointment.

Every tournament Scotland have ever qualified for has gone exactly the same way.

A plucky, but inevitable defeat to the seeded side in the first game. Usually Brazil.

A narrow victory over the mediocre side in the next game, thus raising hopes unjustifiably. Usually Sweden.

A hilarious and humiliating defeat to a complete minnow in the last game, leading to much gnashing of teeth and announcements that "we're only a small country, we never expected to do well anyway". Usually whichever CONCACAF or Asian side who scraped through a play off against Fiji.

At least when England crash out, as we invariably do, despite the usual tabloid hype, most of us, apart from The Sun, recognise our inherent crap-ness as the reason for it.

Or we blame the ref :lolol:

Zed Seagull

fatbadger said:
Sorry, Zed - not true. England have beaten Sweden 6 times (with 6 wins to Sweden and 8 draws).

Anyway, stop being so defensive. Go on the attack instead. I'm surprised you haven't put forward Wembley in '67 or some such game.

Keepin that for last!

Maybe its in the World Cup or something. Heard it somewhere!!

You doing fine mate?

Last edited:

Zed Seagull

edna krabappel said:
Zed- most of those, fair enough.

But nobody gave a shit about the Australia game, it was only ever a friendly (apart from for the Australians, who, as usual, felt they had a point to prove).

So I dispute that was either (a) a shock or (b) a disappointment.

Every tournament Scotland have ever qualified for has gone exactly the same way.

A plucky, but inevitable defeat to the seeded side in the first game. Usually Brazil.

A narrow victory over the mediocre side in the next game, thus raising hopes unjustifiably. Usually Sweden.

A hilarious and humiliating defeat to a complete minnow in the last game, leading to much gnashing of teeth and announcements that "we're only a small country, we never expected to do well anyway". Usually whichever CONCACAF or Asian side who scraped through a play off against Fiji.

At least when England crash out, as we invariably do, despite the usual tabloid hype, most of us, apart from The Sun, recognise our inherent crap-ness as the reason for it.

Or we blame the ref :lolol:

Right enough!!

We're usually happy just to get there but then we start dreamin!

:lolol:

Weve had some memorable results as well you know!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here