Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most exciting end to a season in the last 20 years?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
For me this is the most exciting season I have spent watch the Albion in the last 20 years.

I have woken up every single day for the last couple of weeks, thinking about the prospect of making the playoffs.

Not even about going up, I'm not sure how I feel about promotion yet, thats a long way off, cant wait for some HUGE games in the next few weeks.

Nail biting stuff, would be brilliant if the last game of the season was as special as the first for different reasons, but the thought of the Brum home game already has the hair standing up on the back of my neck.

Apologise, one very excited Brighton Fan.

:bhasign:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
This is pretty much how I feel and I am sure a lot of other Albion fans feel the same way! :albion2::clap::thumbsup:

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
I personally don't think the end of 1996/7 will ever be beaten for excitement.

I could even through in Slade's 08/09 great escape.

This season has been special; completely different to any season we've ever had. Who knows how it will end!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I personally don't think the end of 1996/7 will ever be beaten for excitement.

I could even through in Slade's 08/09 great escape.

This season has been special; completely different to any season we've ever had. Who knows how it will end!

96/97 not sure if i would describe it as exciting. It meant to much.

People are tending to forget games, situations and players, in preference for everything that's going on right now. This minute is greater than the same minute last week etc.

Years of Ward and Lawrenson Horton Robinson Stevens Byrne Poskett Mellor etc etc are eclipsed by 20 minutes of some new player who is rarely seen in our shirt.

Is it even necessary to compare? I personally don't think our game against Pompey was all that good, so looking at our position in the table doesn't magically change that and make it an amazing match of stellar quality!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Yeah Hereford was more relief, as was the Slade escape. For me though it will always be the two Ipswich games - Virgo's equaliser to keep us in the Championship. But above all 1990-9. I remember vividly standing in the North with a minute to go. Barnsley had scored knocling us out of the 6th play off spot and then deano steps up and curls that beauty of a free kick beyond the lumbering dive of Phil Parkes and the place went f***ing mental. 21 years on the memories still bring tears to my eyes. If we do something similar agianst Barnsley this year god knows how special it will feel.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
Yeah Hereford was more relief, as was the Slade escape. For me though it will always be the two Ipswich games - Virgo's equaliser to keep us in the Championship. But above all 1990-9. I remember vividly standing in the North with a minute to go. Barnsley had scored knocling us out of the 6th play off spot and then deano steps up and curls that beauty of a free kick beyond the lumbering dive of Phil Parkes and the place went f***ing mental. 21 years on the memories still bring tears to my eyes. If we do something similar agianst Barnsley this year god knows how special it will feel.
That was a long season!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
People are tending to forget games, situations and players, in preference for everything that's going on right now. This minute is greater than the same minute last week etc.

Years of Ward and Lawrenson Horton Robinson Stevens Byrne Poskett Mellor etc etc are eclipsed by 20 minutes of some new player who is rarely seen in our shirt.

Is it even necessary to compare? I personally don't think our game against Pompey was all that good, so looking at our position in the table doesn't magically change that and make it an amazing match of stellar quality!

NMH these players played over 30 years ago, not 20. were talking about a time since the Notts County Playoff final.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Barnsley fans were celebrating on the pitch as their game had finished ...............................................before the free kick

NMH these players played over 30 years ago, not 20. were talking about a time since the Notts County Playoff final.

That was not why I made that as a point - it's not about the when, it's about this insistence that this season overshadows all that came before.
Some might value those moments of magic when Leon Knight shot us into the Championship, when we shocked Swindon, when we won Championships with Adams and Taylor and Gus last season too.
Yes, it's thrilling now I know, but we haven't had a DULL season in many a year that I can recall.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
That was not why I made that as a point - it's not about the when, it's about this insistence that this season overshadows all that came before.
Some might value those moments of magic when Leon Knight shot us into the Championship, when we shocked Swindon, when we won Championships with Adams and Taylor and Gus last season too.
Yes, it's thrilling now I know, but we haven't had a DULL season in many a year that I can recall.

This.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I would disagree, great seasons, brilliant seasons on occasions, but we had places wrapped up well before the season had ended, take last season or 2004 the we were pretty much dead certs to reach the playoff.

the next few weeks will be a real battle and will always be on the edge of will we wont we. However I do take your point, the two back to back promotions were excellent, but I cant help but feel this season just has an edge.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For me this is the most exciting season I have spent watch the Albion in the last 20 years.
I'm loving this season, but last season was more exciting for me, so far. Although we led, we didn't know for sure we'd go up, and it was more exciting than our other winning seasons due to the expectation of moving to the Amex.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I'm loving this season but even though we were in the fourth tier 2000/1 will take some beating:
> Centenary Year
> only 2nd at Withdean so still basking in the fun of being "home"
> won promotion early away at Plymouth: Party 1
> won title a bit afterwards due to Cheats' points deduction: Party 2
> won title outright by beating Cheats at Withdean: Party 3
> 4000+ at Port Vale for final game of season: Party 4
> First open top parade around Brighton for years with huge crowd at Hove Town Hall: Party 5
> Epic end of season/centenary dinner at Brighton Centre - got totally trashed: Party 6.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I'm loving this season but even though we were in the fourth tier 2000/1 will take some beating:
> Centenary Year
> only 2nd at Withdean so still basking in the fun of being "home"
> won promotion early away at Plymouth: Party 1
> won title a bit afterwards due to Cheats' points deduction: Party 2
> won title outright by beating Cheats at Withdean: Party 3
> 4000+ at Port Vale for final game of season: Party 4
> First open top parade around Brighton for years with huge crowd at Hove Town Hall: Party 5
> Epic end of season/centenary dinner at Brighton Centre - got totally trashed: Party 6.

had i gone to plymouth i would have done them all. but what a year. and a quality striker banging them in for fun

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
96/97 by far. It was all encomapssing.

Agreed, nothing, but NOTHING, can ever compare to the goals of Storer and Reinelt, the slow reduction of the gap between the Albion and the clubs against, the huddling round of radios brought to the game to get updates of scores, the campaign to eradicate the forces of evil in control of the club, and sundry issues such as professional smug twat Barry Hearn trying to have a further points deduction after the 4-4 draw.

We were fighting for the club's future, this season is a walk in the park by comparison. If we make the play-offs, fantastic, if we don't, still a decent season. 1996/7 was about existence and survival, life or death.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here