Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Morose teams get relegated. Must be good for us surely?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Notlob
Blackburn
Wolves

Most definitely rubbish teams.

If Blackpool do West Am next Saturday then there is a distinct lack of football quality in the Championship next season, ourselves excluded of course.

£5m bid for the lad Fletcher from Wolves would be a good steal.

Top 6 for Gus's lads Season 2012-3 most certainly a distinct possibility.

TNBA

TTF

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
Blackburn may implode unless the chicken people suddenly start spending the kind of money they should have done this season (so doubt it), and Bolton could be out of existance this time next year due to their incredible debts.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Blackburn may implode unless the chicken people suddenly start spending the kind of money they should have done this season (so doubt it), and Bolton could be out of existance this time next year due to their incredible debts.

It is always interesting to see how clubs deal with relegation from the Premier League and how they utilise the parachute payments in particular. West Ham and Birmingham managed to stay afloat this season, one by retaining most of their PL squad but selling key, high priced, assets to fund the wage bill while the other dumped as many players as it could and cut costs. If West Ham go up they will have survived - just. Birmingham are teetering on the edge of bankruptcy - they are living on other peoples' money and "other people" are far from happy (reportedly). There is little prospect of them filing acceptable accounts and the very real prospect that they will start next season in administration and seeking new owners. Blackpool were happy to go up and keep spending to the minimum practical but even so they are struggling financially. They would not go under though if they failed to get promotion. What really fascinates me is that the parachute payments exceed our total income (and therefore that of several other clubs who challenged this season) but are still not enough in general terms to meet the excessive costs of relegated clubs. That simply cannot be sustainable and if the television money was ever cut (a real possibility over the next few years) it is hard to see how any clubs other than the top ten or so in the Prem can maintain their positions. Quite worrying really and you do wonder if the prize is actually worth competing for.

Last edited:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Notlob
Blackburn
Wolves

If Blackpool do West Am next Saturday then there is a distinct lack of football quality in the Championship next season, ourselves excluded of course.

TNBA

TTF

I guess you weren't at West Ham last month.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It is always interesting to see how clubs deal with relegation from the Premier League and how they utilise the parachute payments in particular. West Ham and Birmingham managed to stay afloat this season, one by retaining most of their PL squad but selling key, high priced, assets to fund the wage bill while the other dumped as many players as it could and cut costs. If West Ham go up they will have survived - just. Birmingham are teetering on the edge of bankruptcy - they are living on other peoples' money and "other people" are far from happy (reportedly). There is little prospect of them filing acceptable accounts and the very real propsect that they will start next season in administration and seeking new owners. Blackpool were happy tpo go up and keep spending to the minimum practical but even so they are struggling financially. They would not go under though if they failed to get promotion. What really fascinates me is that the parachute payments exceed our total income (and therefore that of several other clubs who challenged this season) but are still not enough in general terms to meet the excessive costs of relegated clubs. That simply cannot be sustainable and if the television money was ever cut (a real possibility over the next few years) it is hard to see how aqny clubs other than the top ten or so in the Prem can maintain their positions. Quite worrying really and you do wonder if the prize is actually worth competing for.

all excellent observations. I would personally have very mixed feelings about promotion.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Blackburn - can't wait to go there next season - my sis in law is a season ticket holder there!!! Will definitely be making the journey up there for a family visit to Blackburn and Bolton next season!!!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Notlob
Blackburn
Wolves

TNBA

TTF
Why morose? Am I missing something?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Of the clubs coming down you would imagine that Blackburn have the money to be able to retain most of their squad (the likes of Robinson, Yakubu and Hoillett aside) and survive. The big question is whether their Indian owners will retain interest and committment - relegation is not what they signed up for! Wolves are probably the best equipped to cope financially having been relatively well managed over recent years. Bolton have always struggled with relative overexpenditure and could seriously have difficulties, especially if they don't go straight back up. You feel they will gamble on retaining a large highly paid squad of Premier League players - - it hasn't worked especially well for West Ham and if things go wrong early in the season they could be in serious trouble very quickly.

Last edited:

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
out of the 3 coming down, I reckon Bolton will have the best shout of going back up, Blackburn just seem in a mess in all parts of the club. Wolves need to regroup and I think that may take a year or 2. My money next season is on Leicester to win the league, they got it together towards the end of the season and if they dont make many changes will be ready to go at it from the start next season.

For me, personnally I will be happy with another top 10 finish. The football in the championship is great with some big sides, Im happy here for a few years until financially we are better off. Id rather win 18 games a year and have great fun and excitment like last season, than be battered most weeks and win 6 or 7 games.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Bolton are one of those clubs that I barely even notice and have no strong feeling about either way. They'll probably do a Pompey next season and sign shedloads of players they can't really afford before plummeting down the pyramid.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You have to chase the dream, but you should chase the dream of SUSTAINABLE Prem football... just because others have fcuked-up doesn't mean we shouldn't go for it...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Can anyone post the odds for next season in the Championship? I can't get to betting sites from work.

(And I guess the loser of West Ham and Blackpool will both feature highly in the betting for next season too)

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
That first Stoke goal yesterday that essentially sent Bolton down was outrageous. Nat Lofthouse eat your heart out. Even Walters looked embarrased after it was given.

Bolton will do ok if they keep Coyle, he is a decent manager. Blackburn and Wolves are both in a mess.

PG

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Exactly what I was thinking yesterday, I was hoping for QPR to stay up as I think they would have invested heavily to bounce straight back up next season. I'm now hoping for West Ham to go up this year, taking the only team who have completely destroyed us this season out of the equation.

I reckon Leeds and Leicester will be strong challengers next season, with the Colin Wanker effect for the Dirties and Leicester's financial muscle, and improved consistency doing the job for them. Strong rumour that Hughton is leaving Brum and they're financially screwed by all accounts anyway.

Other than the teams stated I think the division will be pretty average next season, and if we sign in the key areas that we all know about then could make a strong challenge.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Can anyone post the odds for next season in the Championship? I can't get to betting sites from work.

(And I guess the loser of West Ham and Blackpool will both feature highly in the betting for next season too)

We are 6th favourites (which means 7th once the loser of the PO final are included) at 12/1. Not good value IMHO but about right position-wise. CPFC are 3rd bottom at 80-1 so the bookies don't share the great revival optimism. Still, they usually get it wrong.....

PG

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That first Stoke goal yesterday that essentially sent Bolton down was outrageous. Nat Lofthouse eat your heart out. Even Walters looked embarrased after it was given.
They'd have been down already if Clint Hill's perfectly valid goal been given for QPR at the Reebok. It was a foot over the line before it was clawed back and not given.

These things even themselves out over the season.

Aquilaugh

Jan 9, 2011
Notlob
Blackburn
Wolves

TNBA

TTF

More arrogance and delusion, stay at the highest level of English football for a few seasons and then maybe you can make comments like that, thankfully I know that you don't represent the majority of Brighton fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here