Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More trouble for Plymouth

In court again on 12 Jan.

Plymouth Argyle face new winding-up petition

The parent company of Plymouth Argyle is facing a winding-up petition from HM Revenue & Customs over unpaid taxes.
Plymouth Argyle Football Company (Holdings) Limited has been summoned to appear in court on 12 January 2011.
No details have been disclosed on the amount of money the parent company owes to HMRC.
Two subsidiaries of the holding company were issued with winding-up petitions last month, and have been given until 9 February to clear their tax bill.
Following an appearance at the Royal Courts of Justice on 8 December, Plymouth Argyle Football Company Limited and Home Park Properties Limited were given 63 days grace by the registrar to clear their tax bill of £760,000.
The cash-strapped club has experienced a catalogue of financial difficulties over the previous 12 months, the first indication of trouble being a transfer embargo for unpaid debt in December 2009.

The club was then relegated from the Championship, and has experienced dwindling attendances during their first season back in League One, with just 4,960 fans watching their game against Dagenham & Redbridge in November.
After being issued with two winding-up petitions in October, it emerged that both playing and office staff were paid their November salaries late.
Further funds to help clear the tax bill could be raised by the sale of Argyle players during the January transfer window.
On the pitch Plymouth sit 15th in League One, just three points above the relegation places.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't understand why the club don't sell their best players, thus clearing the debt and reducing the wage bill at the same time. It's better to exist in League 2 than to go out of existence in League 1.

What is the obstacle here? Can anyone enlighten me?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I don't understand why the club don't sell their best players, thus clearing the debt and reducing the wage bill at the same time. It's better to exist in League 2 than to go out of existence in League 1.

What is the obstacle here? Can anyone enlighten me?

I am sure they will on Jan 1st.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I think Wright Philips would be a good buy as well. His head is a bit silly but I am sure that Gus would sort that out and I always rated him as a VG striker.
Need cover for when the season restarts in early March and we have 45 games to play inside two months.

TNBA

TTF

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The FA have also stopped them extending the loan of a player from Chelsaa.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
we stump up £260k for Noone, they can stump up the other half million selling Wright Phillips

They won't get 500k for BWP, his contract runs out in the summer. I think they have 500k coming from Ipswich for Fallon anyway.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They won't get 500k for BWP, his contract runs out in the summer. I think they have 500k coming from Ipswich for Fallon anyway.

Is that deal completely watertight? They'd better hope Keane hangs on to his job for another two weeks...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
the reported fee for Noone is in the region of £150K while Huddersfield have apparently made a bid of £300K for Wright-Phillips.
Both sound about right in the circumstances and will get around £12K a week off the wage bill which will tot up to about a £300K saving by the end of the financial year.

They have money to come for Fallon and may be able to offload a few more on loan or free transfers but will still need investment to survive. It looks like Peter Ridsdale is waiting in the wings but wants them to go into admin before he steps in. That may effectively doom them to relegation but if that's the price of survival as a club ................

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
the reported fee for Noone is in the region of £150K while Huddersfield have apparently made a bid of £300K for Wright-Phillips.
Both sound about right in the circumstances and will get around £12K a week off the wage bill which will tot up to about a £300K saving by the end of the financial year.

They have money to come for Fallon and may be able to offload a few more on loan or free transfers but will still need investment to survive. It looks like Peter Ridsdale is waiting in the wings but wants them to go into admin before he steps in. That may effectively doom them to relegation but if that's the price of survival as a club ................

Could we not gazump them for BWP as £300k is not immense for a goalscorer

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Huddersfield are possibly preparing for the loss of Jordan Rhodes to Norwich?
Seems to be a done deal according to the rumour mill

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
At what point are players entitled to cancel their contracts and walk out? I'm talking about a scenario where the club aren't paying their wages on time so there is some kind of ruling that they can just give notice and quit?

Not that I'm suggesting we should be vultures picking over the PAFC carcass, just curious, like. It was actually brought up by a Plymouth fan.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
are ipswich really gonna pay 500k for fallon? not heard any talk of that down here.....think most argyle fans would drive him up there just to get him of the wage bill

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Well, I read it on the Plymouth fans site so there must be some talk of it. Sounded a bit much but then I'd not have been interested if I was Roy Keane tbh.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
If Hudders get Wright-Phillips then how about a cheeky bid for Theo Robinson. He wants to come south, not sure if Millwall still want him having signed other players... only problem is that we're direct rivals. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here