Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More people up in arms over LDC

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
ëObsession' with blocking Falmer
by Andy Dickenson

LEWES District Council was today facing mounting pressure to drop its campaign to derail Brighton and Hove Albion's plans for a new stadium.

Voters have complained that the council is neglecting issues of importance to everyone in Lewes to pursue its "obsession" with blocking Falmer.

They have called on Albion fans to march to its offices in Lewes in protest.

The council has announced it is asking for a judicial review on Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott's decision to allow Albion to build a 22,000-capacity stadium at Falmer.

The battle could cost the council hundreds of thousands of pounds if it loses and has to pay costs.

Residents believe the money should be spent instead on fighting unpopular planning decisions.

Last month a Government inspector ruled against the council in its battle to stop developers pulling down houses in Sandringham Close, Seaford, but the authority is not appealing that ruling.

Martyn Waller, of the North East Seaford Action Committee, said: "The council's eyes are only on one ball. They've got an infatuation with Falmer that is harming Lewes residents.

"Our public inquiry was floored so we feel our rights have been violated and the council should be fighting our case in the High Court. To be honest, no-one knows why they are fighting Falmer because they've made their decision behind closed doors.

"I'd suggest Brighton supporters march through Lewes and demonstrate outside the councillors' offices. See what they think of that."

Mr Waller's neighbour's home is to be knocked down to make way for a new road and 49 new houses and apartments.

Councillors had refused planning permission but a Government inspector upheld an appeal by the developer, Bloor Homes.

Mr Waller said: "We can't seem to activate the council to do anything and then they seem quite happy to throw what will probably be half a million pounds down the drain over Falmer.

"Where was the referendum giving the people in Lewes the chance to say they'd like the stadium in Falmer? I think most of them would agree its a good idea and could bring a lot to the area.

"If you stand in the field where they are going to develop there's already all those buildings around it. It doesn't strike me as an area of outstanding natural beauty and the stadium is a great way of making use of it.

"The straw that broke the camel's back is that they now want to put our council tax up by 10 per cent. If they are going to take away my peaceful and tranquil home and spend their money fighting Falmer, I don't want to pay it.

"Personally, I think the stadium should be in Falmer and I've got every sympathy with the football club. It's tremendous what they've achieved to get into the Championship and we should be backing them up, not chopping their legs out from under them."

A spokeswoman for the council said an appeal could only be challenged on legal grounds and it didn't believe such grounds existed for the Seaford decision.

The council is presenting a wall of silence when asked about its Falmer appeal. Councillors have repeatedly refused to answer questions The Argus has put to them on the council's High Court legal challenge that could cost more than £100,000 of taxpayers' money.

Council leader Ann De Vecchi has said she will not speak on the matter until Friday, despite the strength of feeling of Albion supporters waiting to hear her side of the story.

Cabinet members remain tight-lipped with few daring to speak out and many more ignoring phone calls from Argus reporters.

The council has already spent £207,000 in its fight against the Albion's proposed stadium, and many Seagulls fans who live in Lewes are understandably anxious. The Argus requested a face-to-face interview with Coun De Vecchi but has had no reply.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Excellent stuff. Really showing the council up for the ignorant, self-serving scum they are.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The pressure is building. I'll be amazed if they go beyond a preliminary hearing with the judge. They'll probably back down with a statement along the lines of:

"having taken further legal counsel on the chances of success in challenging the Governments decision to grant planning permission for a stadium at Falmer, Lewes District Council has decided not to pursue this course of action. The application for a full Judicial Review is hereby withdrawn".

Yep. That'll do.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
And then loudly complain that they were bullied into giving up by the Argus and those nasty Brighton fans.

The Council are doing themselves no favours with their refusal to talk to the media or fully explain their actions. We await fridays announcement with baited breath. Perhaps De Vecchi will reveal her grand master plan to destroy the Albion once and for all. It'll porbably involve firing a torpedo down a ventilation shaft.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Why won't she speak until Friday? What's so special about that date?

Perhaps she's getting nervous about the presence of Albion fans in the town centre the previous evening.:)

vauxhallexile

Jul 31, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Don't they have a meeting planned for Friday or something ?

My understanding is that councillors can sometimes be tightly bound on what they say with regard to planning issues if they are to have a vote on them - it may be that legally, it is easier if anything further is said after the meeting and not before. I know, it doesn't make much sense to me either!

The email from another Lewes District Councillor (Andrew Small?) points to this when he said if he commented too much beforehand he risks not being able to vote at the meeting, otherwise rules on fettered discretion comes into play.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
vauxhallexile said:
My understanding is that councillors can sometimes be tightly bound
Excellent. I would suggest a chair, a gag, and a 'Reservoir Dogs' style beating, followed by a long plunge over a bridge into the River Adur.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
martynwallernov30.jpg

This is Mr Waller. Is he an Albion fan, anyone?

Redhead

Jul 21, 2005
The Mighty 'ford
He's a top bloke, live down the road from me, fought that building plot behind Sandringham Close Tooth And Nail. Might go get him to sign the petition. * Scurries down the road * Answer to ELS he's a liverpool fan but follows rugby mainly i believe.

Last edited:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Redhead said:
He's a top bloke, live down the road from me, fought that building plot behind Sandringham Close Tooth And Nail. Might go get him to sign the petition. * Scurries down the road * Answer to ELS he's a liverpool fan but follows rugby mainly i believe.

:thumbsup:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Easy 10 said:
Excellent. I would suggest a chair, a gag, and a 'Reservoir Dogs' style beating, followed by a long plunge over a bridge into the River Adur.

No, I suggest goose eggs, as hard boiled as possible, laced with extra virgin olive oil, then the strongest possible curry and lock the doors of the council offices, first ensuring that the toilets are put out of use :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
vauxhallexile said:
My understanding is that councillors can sometimes be tightly bound on what they say with regard to planning issues if they are to have a vote on them - it may be that legally, it is easier if anything further is said after the meeting and not before. I know, it doesn't make much sense to me either!

There are new rules about councillors speaking out before they act in a quasi-judicial context. So, for example, if they sat on the planning committee which was going to consider a specific application, they can't spout up about it before the meeting.

In this instance, my understanding is that (with the exception of the Chairman of the forthcoming full Council meeting) they can comment ahead of the meeting. So far as the Lib Dems are concerned, I suspect that their silence has everything to do with instructions from above about being roasted on pointy sticks or having their nads nailed to the door of the Council Chamber if they do.

Or perhaps because some of them know they've made an unwise and undemocratic decision in secret and haven't the guts to defend it now the shit has hit the municipal fan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here