Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More deception in the Argus Letters Page

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Letter: Endangered walk

I have just received (although too late for me to participate in the first items), Brighton and Hove City Council's publication Countryside Events And News dated May to September.

In this, we are advised of the beautiful walk which can be enjoyed on Sunday, June 25 from Ditchling Beacon to Falmer and return.

How hypocritical can a council get? On the one hand, the council is encouraging people to enjoy the beauty of the South Downs. On the other, it has spent and is still spending thousands of pounds of taxpayers' money trying to destroy just that aspect of life.

It is doing this by attempting to get a monstrous stadium built in the Falmer area which will effectively destroy for ever the walk they are now asking people to enjoy.

-GK Summerfield, chairman, Lewes District Campaign to Protect Rural England Longridge Avenue, Saltdean

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Why oh why did we call the stadium Falmer ??? :angry: It is not Falmer it is Site A or University site. Not Falmer :censored:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Uncle Spielberg said:
Why oh why did we call the stadium Falmer ??? :angry: It is not Falmer it is Site A or University site. Not Falmer :censored:

I really reckon that this is where we could be going wrong. A lot of people when they think of Falmer Stadium is that it is in Falmer, the village. Maybe this could be putting people off having a stadium there?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
How does a walk from Ditchling Beacon to Falmer go past the proposed stadium - is he going via Rottingdean?

What a cock.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
"How hypocritical can a council get? On the one hand, the council is encouraging people to enjoy the beauty of the South Downs. On the other, it has spent and is still spending thousands of pounds of taxpayers' money trying to destroy just that aspect of life."

That is where the letter would appear to fail. Who is the judge of beauty? I would suggest that the Stadium would enhance the particular plot, as it is one of the elast attractive views of the downs. You just have to look at Brighton University and realise that the 'view' was spoilt a long time ago.

I really don't think that calling it anything other than Falmer would make the slightest bit of difference. We have professionals mulling over the planning application and the decision will be based on facts. Falmer village would have contested the decision anyway, as would the LDC.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Curious that G Summerfield's walk is spoilt by a "monstrous stadium" but not by the other paraphernalia around the site.

The hypocrisy of people who live in places like Saltdean that sprawl across downland and then whinge about the stadium is breathtaking.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
You would have thought from that letter, that the South Downs, were only the size of a football pitch.

I calculated that the Falmer Stadium site occupied 0.01 % of the area of the proposed South Downs National Park.

But hey Mr Summerfield, why let FACTS get in the way of a good old fashioned rant.

Idiot.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If we had called it the North Moulescoomb stadium we would be playing there next season.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its too late to change the name of the site now. The Falmer campaign have been hero's one and all but its would be like Carlisle Utd relocating down the road and calling it The Lake District Stadium.

The name of the stadium has played right into the hands of the imby's but hindsights a wonderful thing.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
call it the "stade de east brighton" and these ill-informed kendal mint cake munching nimbys would cheerfully embrace it as a proletarian paradise. and one that significantly improves an area where any vestiges of beauty were long ago ruined by two universities and a trunk road.

This is the leaflet he's complaining about ...

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/downloads/bhcc/countryside/CS_summer_events_2006.pdf

Sunday 25 June:
Beacon to Swan
Catch the 79 bus to Ditchling Beacon and enjoy a pleasant walk to Falmer with the Warden to entertain you on the way. Return on the 78 bus.

Booking essential on 01323 871318 (4.5 miles).
10.45am – 1.45pm
Meet: Ditchiling Beacon car park bus bay

The walk is mainly by bus. The highlight will no doubt be the trek from the Swan to the start of the 78 bus route (at Stanmer Park). I don't know whether the Walk Leader will make people walk down the A27 slip road or through the Sussex University Car Park. Either way, there'll be plenty of opportunity to take in the stunning experience that is the main South Coast trunk road.

Since the walk ends at the Swan, there is no reason to cross either the dual carriageway or the railway, so walkers should be spared the upset of glimpsing the Brighton University buildings that will need to be demolished for the stadium to be built.

It's very nice near Ditchling Beacon as well -

leafletpic.jpg

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
There is no way I could have done 10% of as good as job as the Falmer campaigners I just feel calling the stadium Falmer is the ONLY flaw in the campaign but hey ho

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
joey_jo_jo_jr_shabadoo said:
Let's just refer to it as Moulscombe Stadium, no-one will be bothered then.

Exactly. I think thats true and I think in hindsight maybe DK and MP were a bit shortsighted in calling it Falmer.

Because its called 'Falmer' its got the uninformed going ' oh they are going to build over that delightful village etc etc'.

If people are REALLY looking for an example of development that has RUINED the Downs, I can think of no better example than Longridge Avenue, Saltdean, home of Mr Summerfield.

Was it a deeply felt sense of GUILT that made him join the Campaign to Protect Rural England?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Lord Bracknell said:
If people are REALLY looking for an example of development that has RUINED the Downs, I can think of no better example than Longridge Avenue, Saltdean, home of Mr Summerfield.

Was it a deeply felt sense of GUILT that made him join the Campaign to Protect Rural England?
I suspect that the CPRE is really the Campaign to Return to Feudal England with the likes of Messrs Summerfield and Catt practising le droit de seigneur on our wives, sisters and daughters. Lord Bracknell ensconsed in a dungeon at Lewes Castle and Dick Knight on the rack, Roz burned for witchcraft and Martin Perry's head on a pole outside the Swan in Falmer.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I THINK WE HEARD YOU FIRST TIME, GLOVER.

Having a good day Alan ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here