Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

more club shop staff needed?

how can BHA improve the club shop experience?

• get a bigger shop, or have less tat in current shop?

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • more phone lines (for ticket sales only)

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • more staff in general

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • scrap the shop, and sell by phone / online only

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

I guess I have to take some responsibility for provoking this poll, after my thread about Saturday morning's misleading message on the answerphone.

The solution to that problem is easy - record a different message for use when the phones are in meltdown.

As for the ticket office itself ... my perception is that the staff do a good job dealing with situations that are frequently very difficult, especially when thousands of people are chasing not enough tickets. The answer almost certainly depends upon upgrading the technology that supports a large scale ticketing operation - and that has probably put on hold until Falmer is up and running.

In an ideal world, there would be a slick on-line system that didn't depend on having to send tickets out by post or making people queue at the ground to pick them up. Intercity train operators and airlines now use Fast Ticket machines that can be located all over the place. Atletico Madrid issue e-tickets through ATMs at banks all over the city. Smartcard technology is constantly moving forwards - the London transport system has its Oyster Cards that don't have to be restricted to travel tickets.

The answer to the Albion's ticket system surely lies somewhere in the world of new technology. And that might open up all sorts of options for marketing the product. If it was left to me, I'd be looking at doing something very radical, like ABOLISHING SEASON TICKETS and replacing them with a scheme that recruits MEMBERS of the Club (who would pay an annual fee that would entitle them to all sorts of benefits, that could be priced in a way that served both the interests of the Club and the interests of the Members).

For example ... instead of paying £450 for a 23-match season ticket, why not pay £300 a year to join and then pay just £6.50 for every game attended? And there could be bonus discounts offered as circumstances require - like priority for big away games or special cheap offers for one-off occasions (members get free admission to the Rotherham game, if they bring a friend for a tenner).

The opportunities are endless.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The members scheme would be quite radical to say the least.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Lord Bracknell said:

In an ideal world, there would be a slick on-line system that didn't depend on having to send tickets out by post or making people queue at the ground to pick them up. Intercity train operators and airlines now use Fast Ticket machines that can be located all over the place. Atletico Madrid issue e-tickets through ATMs at banks all over the city. Smartcard technology is constantly moving forwards - the London transport system has its Oyster Cards that don't have to be restricted to travel tickets.

Pretty sure Arsenal don't issue tickets for their matches, it's all on the members cards which are 'topped up' per match.

They also have no-one on the turnstiles, just a card scanner.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
...but I'm not about to criticise the club shop as they do a good job..

But yeah, that 'closed' message sounds like a cock up, luckily I'm near enough to be able to wander there in no time so it doesn't affect me.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
The staff do a great job. I would suggest that the club invest in a decent IVR to handle busy periods. It seems to serve all major companies pretty well.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
They have a tough job. Whenever I pop in to buy a ticket they are busy. Juggling phone calls and customers wanting to select a seat as opposed to being given one.

The rather attractive girl was left to deal with arather irate customer complaining about god knows what.

It does seem to be a size issue, with a limit to how many computers can be used and where to put them. A lot of clubs with limited budgets don't have to go through this, how many other clubs in the lower leagues have all-ticket matches every home game!?

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
If we are going to get more club shop staff we better hurry, the window closes in a few days!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Kinky Gerbils said:
How about stocking items? that might help.

Do you wear stockings then? ???

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Mr deez said:
Pretty sure Arsenal don't issue tickets for their matches, it's all on the members cards which are 'topped up' per match.

They also have no-one on the turnstiles, just a card scanner.
Reading and Leeds have bar code scanners.

desprateseagull said:
Lor B, the signing on fee then a pay pe play charge would do my head in, let alone the club staff with 7,000 deals to handle!
Once we're at Falmer, it'll be up to 22,000 deals to handle. The best way to do that is to remove the burden entirely from the staff.

Atletico Madrid manage to handle sales of up to 55,000 tickets for every home game against the background of potential spectators not knowing the date of a game or the kick-off time until the week before the game is played. It's the way Spanish football works - match schedules are determined by the TV companies, at short notice.

They use an electronic ticketing system that doesn't need staff to handle sales. Like Arsenal, they have no staff on the turnstiles either.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here