Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mitt Romney,Republicans and all that.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Early start for me today (4am) so i caught some of News24 and it was all about Super Tuesday most commentator's seem to think Barack is beatable in November,but that the Republicans are making hardwork of selecting a candidate. I don't follow American politic's (our's is hard enough) yet several 'experts' remarked how far to the right the Republicans have become over the last decade or so and that The Tea Party is a strong influence in their policies ? Looking at Romney's BBC profile he does seem a more East coast Liberal. Just how far too the right is the Republican party ?

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I've been told the Democrats are the equivalent of the UK Conservatives. The Republicans are more right-wing than that, and the Tea Party are probably extreme right-wing.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Early start for me today (4am) so i caught some of News24 and it was all about Super Tuesday most commentator's seem to think Barack is beatable in November,but that the Republicans are making hardwork of selecting a candidate. I don't follow American politic's (our's is hard enough) yet several 'experts' remarked how far to the right the Republicans have become over the last decade or so and that The Tea Party is a strong influence in their policies ? Looking at Romney's BBC profile he does seem a more East coast Liberal. Just how far too the right is the Republican party ?

I'm certainly no expert, but I don't think I've heard any commenators say that BO is beatable by any of these candidates - but I could be wrong. Also, the longer it remains unclear who is going to be running for the Republicans, and the in-fighting continues, it damages their overall chances (apparently, or so I hear). I don't think any of the 3 sound very good personally, but then I quite like BO - no real idea if he's actually any good though, but he does speak well.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Santorum and Gingrich will split the conservative vote, Romney will win the GOP nomination which will give Obama a second term ……..thankfully.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
It always surprises how much media coverage the U.S elections get in this country, compared to the other 'super powers' anyway.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I think a better guide to how far right the Republican party is is not to look at Romney himself, but where he is. His main opponent (Rick Santorum) is a man who would ban not only abortion but birth control itself, has stated that the Government has every right to control people's bedrooms (he would make adultery and anal sex - between homosexual or heterosexual couples - criminal offences) and said that Kennedy's speech that everyone should be free to choose their religion made him feel "physically sick". This is just the tip of the iceberg too - see http://www.thepoliticalguide.com/Profiles/Senate/Pennsylvania/Rick_Santorum/Views/ if you want more detail.

Romney is outspending this man Santorum about 10-1 and still can't pull clear of him. He'll beat him in the end, but just - and I think that says a lot about the party!

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Dangerous Bible bashing halfwited nutjobs....In a nutshell. I actually thought Herman Cain was brilliant though. 1st class entertainment value until he dropped out the race after revelations from an ex mistress claiming he couldn't keep it in his pants. Such is the norm in The Presidential nomination race for an ex to come out the woodwork.

The Republicans actually found somebody who could outdumb Bush & Palin. Quit the achievement.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... I don't follow American politic's (our's is hard enough) yet several 'experts' remarked how far to the right the Republicans have become over the last decade or so and that The Tea Party is a strong influence in their policies ?

my reading is that the "Tea Party" is a loose grouping of far right, economic libertarians and anti-tax lobbyist (hence the name). they have a vocal and active base of foot soliders, if you want them to be out to vote, campaign and chip in to the funding pot for you, you need to say things they like. so they've gained some influence where republicans have had marginal seats. I think in the presedential elections they become marginal themselves, barely hear of them now, as the more substantial funders and core republican voters are more engaged and see the Tea Party as the looney right (a little like how the UKIP get noticed at local and european campaigns but ignored for general election).

as above, i gather the various factions will split the conservative vote, fail to get behind candidate and Obama will win by default.

Last edited:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I've been told the Democrats are the equivalent of the UK Conservatives. The Republicans are more right-wing than that, and the Tea Party are probably extreme right-wing.

I'd say that the Democrats are more New Labour than Tory, republicans do seem to have been dragged to the right a fair bit in the past four years, because of the tea party (not actually a party, they are republicans)

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It always surprises how much media coverage the U.S elections get in this country, compared to the other 'super powers' anyway.

It is slightly annoying, I do take an interest when they have the ACTUAL election but I honestly couldn't give a shit about 3 people I've never heard of fighting to be NOMINATED. I'm sure people in the US were GRIPPED by the David vs Ed Miliband tussle for the Labour leadership.

Sep 20, 2005
Just how far too the right is the Republican party ?

The modern Republican Party, and the Tea Party in particular, is way, way, WAY over there.

Last time I was there, I spoke with people who actually believe Barack Obama is a communist dictator in the style of Stalin. These weren't slack-jawed yokels either, they were serious, professional people.

They will, however, have trouble with Mitt Romney. Like all Mormons, he believes in the magic glasses, the head in the hat tale, the stories about black people and, of course, the magic underwear that will negate the need for a Presidential protection team. So that's something.

mormon-underwear.jpg

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

aye, it is odd. wheres the coverage of the upcoming French election, which is far more important for short term economics, maybe even longer term, as one candidate i understand is expected to tear up any agreements currently being made about Euro and the greek bail out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You not been watching the news over the past week then?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The modern Republican Party, and the Tea Party in particular, is way, way, WAY over there.

Last time I was there, I spoke with people who actually believe Barack Obama is a communist dictator in the style of Stalin. These weren't slack-jawed yokels either, they were serious, professional people.

They will, however, have trouble with Mitt Romney. Like all Mormons, he believes in the magic glasses, the head in the hat tale, the stories about black people and, of course, the magic underwear that will negate the need for a Presidential protection team. So that's something.

mormon-underwear.jpg
Well there's some talk that the fact Romney is a Mormon is one of the things that's holding him back despite his billion dollar campaign ( :eek: ). Apparently fundamentalist christian nutters don't like slightly different christian nutters.

But I caught a bit of some thing on radio 4 about the primaries and again it was some mid level Republican politico and they were asked if the fact he was a Mormon was a problem, and they said they thought in a choice between Marxism and Mormonism the American people would choose Mormonism. :facepalm:

There was also that time when the actual idiot Rick Perry was bragging in a speech about having executed 200 people as governer of Texas or something and the crowd was all cheering, and again this wasn't a crowd of redneck idiots, it was Republican Party people.

They are batshit.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
You not been watching the news over the past week then?

could you name Putins opponents? or the French left wing leader, or Merkels opposition? I couldn't, but i can name 4 republican candidates (pathetically).

im sure i need to read more widely to rectify this, but the common media do focus on the US alot.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The only guy I would not have minded getting the nomination was Ron Paul – but his problem is he’s intelligent, understands world politics and the problems facing America and doesn’t keep spouting religious claptrap. Which basically means he has zero chance of getting elected by Republicans in today’s America.

Oct 25, 2003
The only guy I would not have minded getting the nomination was Ron Paul – but his problem is he’s intelligent, understands world politics and the problems facing America and doesn’t keep spouting religious claptrap. Which basically means he has zero chance of getting elected by Republicans in today’s America.

what's the general consensus of obama's presidency over there?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
what's the general consensus of obama's presidency over there?

That he's done an OK job - but not a great one. The feeling is he should have taken some bolder initiatives when he had the power at the beginning of his presidency. But then he did inherit a huge mess from Bush..............

tedlit

Nov 18, 2006
Scotland (just)

This... 100% this. In a sane country, he'd stand as an independent (again) and stand a good chance of (at the very least) coming second. However, so much of the pre-election publicity is geared around how much financing your campaign has and winning your party's nomination, there's very little room for actual.. well.. reasoned debate and policies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here