Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mike Ward asks: What sort do you think I am?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
MikeWard-1.jpg

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
you've cut off bits from the right!

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
As he asked:

Psychopaths in Cars

Dear Editors,

Let's Pick on a Minority Group and Persecute them (this is Mike Ward)

The most prejudiced diatribe by Mike Ward in his column against cyclists makes me think he is a member of RABID road users who think they have the right to mow down all other road users.

I do not know if I want to read a newspaper with columnists who use the medium to browbeat and persecute other people without doing the least bit elementary research.

All his facts are totally WRONG and serve to mislead the public who seem to be eager to bash up (and in this case kill quite often) people they don't like.

Brighton has got an awful reputation for being cycle unfriendly because of the terrible travesty of the seafront cyclepath that is dangerous for pedestrians and cyclists alike.

Some of the facts are:

Cycling is statistically five times more dangerous per mile travelled than travelling by car. It is almost as dangerous as walking.

Cycling is dangerous for one main reason. The official figures are that 66% to 68% of cyclists injured on the roads are because they are crashed into by motorists when the motorist is at fault. Only about 10% are down to cyclist error.

(Source: Adur Cycling Strategy, West Sussex Cycling Strategy)

Motorists are more than ten times as much at fault for driving on pavements causing danger and obstruction than cyclists. Cars parking on the pavements: how do you think they got there? By magic?

Motorists are more than ten times as likely to jump red traffic lights and this is a hurtling lump of metal at 30 mph plus that can kill.

Cycle helmets are a fraud. They are virtually useless at preventing cycling injuries. Anybody selling a helmet under the guise as being a useful aid to prevent injuries is misleading. Nothing short of a motorcycle helmet or cricket helmet would prevent some of the facial injuries. As for shoulder and leg injuries and impacts from motor vehicles, a full suit of body armour with adequate space around each passenger would be necessary and even that is often not enough.

The condition of the roads are not suitable for cycling on and about 15% of cycling accidents are caused by terrible surfaces or debris.

The most dangerous thing for cyclist is motorists simply not looking where they are going. This appears to be legal because of the small fines given to careless killer drivers. This only fair, because it is not just the reckless maniac who is not looking where he, or she, is driving, but the ordinary driver who is just unlucky the cyclist happens to be in his way, and even more unlucky for the cyclist.

PS: I do NOT know why columnists have to pick on minority groups ! It is the Hitler way to popularity!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I read that last night, and mostly agree with him. And I'm a cyclist. A lot of cyclists show no respect for other people, other road user and even the laws of the road.

On the other hand - People who insist on walking on designated cycle paths.....:censored: :angry: :censored: :angry:

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
he sounds a right twat from that article.

the trouble with that seafront cycle path is the people that ignore it on foot (mostly loutish londoners on day trips it must be said) and happily stroll along the middle of it.

ward should stick to football.....but on second thoughts....

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
pasty said:
I read that last night, and mostly agree with him. And I'm a cyclist. A lot of cyclists show no respect for other people, other road user and even the laws of the road.

On the other hand - People who insist on walking on designated cycle paths.....:censored: :angry: :censored: :angry:

About the same I dare say. Except there are fifty motorists to every bike on the road and they are bigger and more dangerous.

He started the rant and being rude, so it is about time cyclists got their own back !

Are you a sheep or a goat?

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Fine, I sympathise with cyclists on the road but I have scant sympathy for cyclists who persist in riding on the pavement.

Maybe pedestrians should have a rant too.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You can't tar ALL cyclists with the same brush obviously. A large proportion of them observe the highway code, wear appropriate visible clothes and have adequate lighting on their bikes.

However, there is still a HUGE proportion of utter FUCKTARDS who take to the roads / pathways on their bikes without the slightest regard for pedestrians, only a passing interest in other roadusers and, it seems, their own safety. They are unlicenced, untrained, uninsured and unconcerned - and I see enough of them on the roads and paths when I'm driving about to realise that it IS a problem. No amount of ecologically-friendly-all-motorists-are-nazi's claptrap will disguise the fact that a large number of cyclists will jump lights, mount kerbs to avoid anything on the road that might slow them down a bit, hurtle down one way streets the wrong way (well its only a BIKE, innit), peddle around at night with no lights (and then blame all and sundry when they get knocked over), safe in the knowledge that they'll be held largely unaccountable because they're only on a bike.

I'm with Ward. Fair play to the sensible cyclists, but there's too high a proportion of DICKHEADS out there for them to keep getting away with it so easily.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
bhaexpress said:
Fine, I sympathise with cyclists on the road but I have scant sympathy for cyclists who persist in riding on the pavement.

Maybe pedestrians should have a rant too.

Surely pedestrians should not wear dark clothing, have lights on at night, wear full body armour and eat goat's eyes !

Reply by EMail:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/the_argus/news_extra/write_to_the_editor/

The repetition was an accident. Wasn't looking where I was going. I blame NSC for this!

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why should pedestrians be expected to dress like Noddy Holder on acid to accomodate the fact that dickheads on bikes are going to invade their domain, travelling at speed

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Easy 10 said:
Why should pedestrians be expected to dress like Noddy Holder on acid to accomodate the fact that dickheads on bikes are going to invade their domain, travelling at speed

It is cars that kill pedestrians driving on pavements (sometimes flying through the air and somesaulting as well).

Only about one pedestrian a year is killed by a cyclist. Pedestrians kill about one cyclist a year by walking out in the road in front of them as well.

Every mashed up Keep Left sign and a every bollard could be a pedestrian that was not quick enough to get out of the way.

I expect pedestrians and cyclists bash up bollards as well, but cars and their drivers do most of them in.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Perseus old chap, we heard you the first time. Is that seeing three due to a concusion brought about by riding without one of those funny helmets ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
perseus said:
It is cars that kill pedestrians driving on pavements (sometimes flying through the air and somesaulting as well).

Only about one pedestrian a year is killed by a cyclist. Pedestrians kill about one cyclist a year by walking out in the road in front of them as well.

Every mashed up Keep Left sign and a every bollard could be a pedestrian that was not quick enough to get out of the way.

I expect pedestrians and cyclists bash up bollards as well, but cars and their drivers do most of them in.

A lot of that is down to the fact that bikes are slower than cars thus pedestrians do have half a chance to get out of their way.

Whatever the grevances cyclists have with motorists is still does not excuse them for using the pavement unless it is a specific cycle lane. I accept that some pedestrians do stray into the cycle lane however.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
perseus said:
Yeah, just like in In Starsky & Hutch :rolleyes:

Stats are one thing, but I can only go from personal experience.

Last time I saw a bike hurtling along a pavement: Sunday
Last time I saw a car hurtling along a pavement: Never

Last time I saw a bike jump the lights: Sunday
Last time I saw a car jump the lights: Around January I think

Last time I saw a bike on the road with no lights: Last Friday
Last time I saw a car on the road with no lights: Last year some time

Last time I saw a bike going the wrong way up a one way street: This morning
Last time I saw a car going the wrong way up a one way street: Last Wednesday (ok, but it WAS a woman)

Last time I saw a bike hit a pedestrian: Last summer
Last time I saw a car hit a pedestrian: Three years ago.

Any patterns emerging here ?

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Easy 10 said:

Last time I saw a bike hurtling along a pavement: Sunday
Last time I saw a car hurtling along a pavement: Never

Last time I saw a bike jump the lights: Sunday
Last time I saw a car jump the lights: Around January I think

Last time I saw a bike on the road with no lights: Last Friday
Last time I saw a car on the road with no lights: Last year some time

Last time I saw a bike going the wrong way up a one way street: This morning
Last time I saw a car going the wrong way up a one way street: Last Wednesday (ok, but it WAS a woman)

Last time I saw a bike hit a pedestrian: Last summer
Last time I saw a car hit a pedestrian: Three years ago.

Any patterns emerging here ?

I agree that some cyclists are a menace and give us all a bad name but you either have a selective memory or live opposite the Inistitute for Angelic Drivers.

I can guarantee that on an average urban journey of five miles, I'll see at least two cars go through a red light., When I had an 8-mile journey in London, the average number was about 8 a day.

I reckon that I see cars on the pavement every day and that while cars with nolights at night are unusual, I see rather too many with just side-lights on.

There are some truly terrible drivers out there as well as reckless cyclists: the difference is that driver can (and do) kill, while cyclists rarely do.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agreed Gwylan - it goes without saying that there are good and bad drivers just as there are good and bad cyclists. But I DO see cyclists "pushing the boundaries" a lot more commonly than I do drivers.

As for seeing two cars a day run a red light within a 5 mile journey - well, you must regularly travel amongst a bunch of absolute nutters, because I see nothing like that number and I do about 40 miles a day. It does happen of course, but I can categorically say I do NOT see 2 cars a day running a red.

I'm a hypocritical tosser anyway, cos when I was younger, I used to cycle to and from the pub quite regularly. I'd end up wobbling my way back home, half pissed, no lights, on the path.

I'd never do that nowadays of course. I just drink-drive instead.

(KIDDING) :rolleyes:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Cycling: it just so happens that I was nearly knocked off my bike by a car door opening today on the road side. Three days ago I was nearly killed by a motorist jumping a red light and then turning without signalling and driving on the wrong side of the road. What did I do. I got out of the way and watched out to see if two cars had decided to jump the lights at the same time as it often happens.

By last crash was when I was hit head on by a Police car driving on the wrong side of the road without lights.

I have also been hit head on by a car driving along a cyclepath.

Every day I see over 30 cars on pavements in five minutes.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Having had a foot in both camps from time to time I feel I can safely say that cyclists should have some sort of proficiency training. They should definitely have lights.

It also annoys the hell out of me when people walk in cycle lanes.

Easy 10 should be commended for his alliteration: unlicenced, untrained, uninsured and unconcerned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here