Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Midfielder this week

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Apologies to HawktheSeagull - I didn't spot his thread which has sunk down the page with all the unseemly haste of a sailor buried at sea.

Are we so tired of all the rumours that when Gus finally confirms that a signing is on the immediate (dare I say "imminent" ) horizon - even if it is a midfielder rather than a striker - we can't raise the energy to talk about it?

Or is it because it's Saturday and everyone is out on the piss?

Whatever, reading between the lines it looks like the midfielder we hopefully sign this week might not be the only one and the striker is still on the agenda even if we have maybe missed out on Gus's number one target.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I really don't see us signing any sort of technically gifted midfielder, especially McEachran who has already been on loan in the Prem and is flying out to US on Chelsea's pre-season tour.

It surely has to be a big hard bastard who will sit just in front of Bridcutt and behind Vicente to provide the muscle?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I really don't see us signing any sort of technically gifted midfielder, especially McEachran who has already been on loan in the Prem and is flying out to US on Chelsea's pre-season tour.

It surely has to be a big hard bastard who will sit just in front of Bridcutt and behind Vicente to provide the muscle?

Ideally we would ship out Harley bring in someone like McEachran to replace him and get in someone like Trotter.

C17BHA

Feb 24, 2009
I was with a friend last Friday who lives next door to Shaun Derry and knows him well. My mate had no idea of the thread that was started on NSC a few days back about Derry coming to us and he raised the idea with me that Derry might be coming to us as a player/coach....i.e midfield enforcer. Can't see it myself but thought I would share this info asit is a thread about midfielders.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
If we don't get a midfielder of quality we are not going to go places,this is more important than a striker,we will not do well with sparrow,harley and dicker FACT,that's in my opinion one of the worst midfielder line-ups in the championship.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If we don't get a midfielder of quality we are not going to go places,this is more important than a striker,we will not do well with sparrow,harley and dicker FACT,that's in my opinion one of the worst midfielder line-ups in the championship.

FACT :lolol:

I think Harley will be a very good player if he has Bridcutt and another solid midfielder (such as is expected) behind him.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

I tend to agree. Last season showed that although Bridders and co were often brilliant, and a fit Vicente gave us the guile we also need the quality muscle in midfield who will be effective at top of the Championship. Sparrow and Dicker had their moments but are not quite at that level if we are to step up and compete for automatic promotion or a play-off place. It will be interesting to see what Gus comes up with.

Now we have a more robust keeper and defence plus a hopefully a decent enforcer in midfield we should be able to shut out teams more often and turn more of those frustrating draws into wins.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

I think Harley will be a very good player if he has Bridcutt and another solid midfielder (such as is expected) behind him.
Put it this way if clubs came in and offered to take those 3 away we would not not be upset would we?they're good league 1 players at best,the only option is to put vicente in the middle???
Up front is not that bad,hoskins,barnes and CMS will score goals,but the engine room is the central midfield area and that's key for dominating games and creating the chances for our strikers.Last season showed that we was far to defensive and was way to slow getting forward because most were back defending all the time,gus im sure knows this:lolol:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
yes, we need someone alongside Bridcutt. Dicker did it well at times last season, before his injury, and Navarro was very good in some games, less so in others. Sparrow had a purple patch in the New Year before a red card lost his place to Navarro. I think all three of these are perfectly acceptable for an upper mid-table championship team, but to push on we need someone bigger and tougher and quicker and more talented, no problem, but I don't think its a worry to have either Dicker or Sparrow or both in back-up, I would be disappointed if they were sold. Its a critical position.

As for Harley, its unfair to compare him in the same breath as the others because he plays further forward more in Vicente's position. The main criticism of him was his tackling and work-rate, which would be irrelevant if he had a big midfielder behind him. He definitely has the talent if supported and whilst he won't start many games whilst Vicente is fit, I still think there is more to come from him. I would be less surprised to see him sold, however, as I expect he won't be happy to spend another season on the bench.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing

Harley is not good enough to warrant playing two holding players behind him to allow him to skip making any challenges and to only go on the offense. Vicente and Buckley are.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I was with a friend last Friday who lives next door to Shaun Derry and knows him well. My mate had no idea of the thread that was started on NSC a few days back about Derry coming to us and he raised the idea with me that Derry might be coming to us as a player/coach....i.e midfield enforcer. Can't see it myself but thought I would share this info asit is a thread about midfielders.

I am possibly one of the few who would not be at all against that.
He showed last season that he still has the legs and he clearly has experience in bucketloads at this level and above.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here