Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Midfield

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
OK after tonight, might be a over reaction but hey, our midfield is shocking, no creativity no pace pretty much nothing. Leon was the only one capable of putting the ball in the box all the others wanted to do was pass it amongst themselves. I'm failing to believe that Charlie is better than Nicolas. We really need somebody that can make a killer pass lot to ask i know.

Oct 25, 2003
all graft no craft

works reasonably well away from home but at the fortress we need a bit of flair

playing 4 central midfielders is not the way to go

maybe play knight on the wing or even give JARRETT a chance?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
tommy boy said:
maybe play knight on the wing or even give JARRETT a chance?

knight yes, jarret no way! with leons ability to whip her onto feds head, that is the way we should be playing

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
The biggest problem is the middle tho sort that and we might be getting somewhere, you can't carry two out of form not very good players in the middle of the park

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
I thought Charlie wasn't too bad tonight (although still not up to this standard).

I have to say that I thought Chippy was our worst player and I lost count of the number of times he gave the ball away and misplaced passes.

Now I'll probably get critisised as it seems fashionable to slag off Charlie every time we lose yet Chippy is always beyond critisism and can do no wrong in most peoples eyes, but that is how I saw it.

Carpenter has been a great servant and still has a role to play but it seems sometimes that he has a God-given right to the central midfield.

I think Hammond should partner Charlie (or Chippy, but not both) leaving space for Knight on the wing and either El Turo or Robinson partnering CKR up front.

Or better still, what about a central midfield partnership of Hammond and Reid with Hart & Knight wide?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The thing with Oatway is that he is always going to put some tackles in, work hard and fight to the end. Therefore when he has a bad game it is sort of minimalised because of his work rate.

Tonight he was just chasing shadows however.

Also, if he were alongside a midfielder who pushed forward and drove the play it wouldnt be so noticable that he does not, but because Chippy likes a side ways pass as well it shows up.

Whisper it quietly for fear of being slated but Carpenter was RUBBISH tonight.

Must be time for Nicolas and Hammond to be given a go in the middle.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I don't know what Alexis has done wrong, he looked a quality player at times last season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
227 BHA said:
I thought Charlie wasn't too bad tonight (although still not up to this standard).

I have to say that I thought Chippy was our worst player and I lost count of the number of times he gave the ball away and misplaced passes.

Now I'll probably get critisised as it seems fashionable to slag off Charlie every time we lose yet Chippy is always beyond critisism and can do no wrong in most peoples eyes, but that is how I saw it.

Carpenter has been a great servant and still has a role to play but it seems sometimes that he has a God-given right to the central midfield.

I think Hammond should partner Charlie (or Chippy, but not both) leaving space for Knight on the wing and either El Turo or Robinson partnering CKR up front.

Or better still, what about a central midfield partnership of Hammond and Reid with Hart & Knight wide?
Spot on - although I wouldn't completely write Chippy off just yet. He absolutly stank the place out tonight, but he rarely plays that poorly. I WOULD move Hammond into central midfield though - I think he's one of the best talents at the club, and he needs to be more involved in the hustle and bustle of central midfield. He's a box-to-box player, and I reckon he should be a DEFINATE starter in the middle - you then put A. N. Other next to him, but he MUST start in the middle. He's wasted otherwise.

Oct 25, 2003
nicolas was brilliant at the start of the season but i think mcghee preferred the bite of oatway in a relegration scrap, and he has stuck pretty much with the side that finished last season

time for nicolas now though

tommy boy said:
nicolas was brilliant at the start of the season but i think mcghee preferred the bite of oatway in a relegration scrap, and he has stuck pretty much with the side that finished last season

time for nicolas now though

Time for a holding defensive midfielder who never passes forward when we've identified the problem is feeding the front-line?

Nicolas and Hammond have no track record of being better, progressive passers than Chippy and Oatway. Both Nicolas and Hammond have great strengths, Hammond's is box-to-box workrate and goal-threat, Nicolas is good zonal defending and calm passing in front of the back 4 - but neither have demonstrated that they would be better options at feeding the front-line than our established pair. If someone can think of a game or instances when they've done that, please, I'm willing to be convinced because we do need players to put pressure on Chippy and Charlie for their spots.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Its just a shame Sidwell went to Reading.

Hammond would create more from the middle but virtue of getting himself forward, occupying defenders and creating space that way. I could see him doing a similar box to box role as Brian Robson. Arriving late in the box unmarked.

Nicolas is busy. When we play good teams like Reading we will be chasing shadows a lot. In those instances surely it is better to have someone full of energy like Nicolas doing the work then people perhaps past their best like Oatway and Chippie?

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Rookie said:
OK after tonight, might be a over reaction but hey, our midfield is shocking, no creativity no pace pretty much nothing. Leon was the only one capable of putting the ball in the box all the others wanted to do was pass it amongst themselves. I'm failing to believe that Charlie is better than Nicolas. We really need somebody that can make a killer pass lot to ask i know.

What do you expect? Oatway is way out of his depth. :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here