Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
bugger, I'd planned to go there tomorrow to buy a loco for my kids

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Shame. I remember getting stuff in there as a kid. Possibly suffered due to it's location away from the rest of town.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I just rang them up. It's shutting down because the bloke who runs it is retiring, and can't find anyone to take it on - it's not because of lack of sales (they sell all round the world from that shop). The shop has been there for over 30 years.

It WILL be open EARLY Saturday AM whilst they de-clutter. They have to be outta there by Tuesday at the latest.

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
I just rang them up. It's shutting down because the bloke who runs it is retiring, and can't find anyone to take it on - it's not because of lack of sales (they sell all round the world from that shop). The shop has been there for over 30 years.

It WILL be open EARLY Saturday AM whilst they de-clutter. They have to be outta there by Tuesday at the latest.
I expect that was my dad you spoke to.
They were hopeful of another model shop/company taking over but it wasn't to be. Shame.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I expect that was my dad you spoke to.
They were hopeful of another model shop/company taking over but it wasn't to be. Shame.

Blimey, it's a small world!

If I knew anything about Model Trains, I might take it over, but I don't, I have my own track setup in the garage (for the kids, you understand !) but to run a shop you need to know all the geeky jazz and be able to fix broken trains etc.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My dads much loved shop MSM (in Burgess Hill) is open for the last time today:(
May it RIP :angel:

why doesnt he keep some of the stock that doesnt sell and stick it on EBAY?

My mum sold her ye olde giftee shoppe in somerset and kept some stock and made a killing on ebay ....seemly

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i used to spend many happy saturday mornings in there back in the day

sad news - rip

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It is a real shame that shops like this are closing and that mostly you have to purchase this type of product from the web. Whilst you may get the item you want it doesn't beat spending time looking around a good old fashioned, friendly model shop with knowledgeable, interested owners and seeing working models.

The Model Zone in high streets doesn't compare unless you require a badly modelled statuette of Jabba The Hut.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
It is a real shame that shops like this are closing and that mostly you have to purchase this type of product from the web. Whilst you may get the item you want it doesn't beat spending time looking around a good old fashioned, friendly model shop with knowledgeable, interested owners and seeing working models.

The Model Zone in high streets doesn't compare unless you require a badly modelled statuette of Jabba The Hut.

Agreed. The Record shop in Burgess Hill is also shutting down today, they've got a sign up saying "Tesco Won, We Lost"

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom

I think Model Zone was the one who said they might take over.

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
why doesnt he keep some of the stock that doesnt sell and stick it on EBAY?

My mum sold her ye olde giftee shoppe in somerset and kept some stock and made a killing on ebay ....seemly

The stuff left over will get sold at auction.
My dad has loads old model trains, dinky toys etc that's worth thousands.
He may have to get rid of some at some point so I'll suggest ebay to him.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Wouldn't surprise me. Might as well get taken over by Early Learning Centre 'cos by the time MZ finish with it it will be full of sodding toys.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Agreed. The Record shop in Burgess Hill is also shutting down today, they've got a sign up saying "Tesco Won, We Lost"

I popped into Tesco the other day and looked at the CDs, they only sell chart CDs, how the hell does a CD get into the charts in the first place?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here