Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Microsoft Word - the work of the devil

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Seriously, is this the most unintuitive piece of shit to grace a computer anywhere ever?

It takes 3 hours to write a document, and then another 13 hours to get the formatting right. Well, sort of right - you get close enough and just give up for fear of regressing back to an absolute mess.

Like playing football on Boxing Day - it shouldn't be this difficult, should it?

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Seriously, is this the most unintuitive piece of shit to grace a computer anywhere ever?

It takes 3 hours to write a document, and then another 13 hours to get the formatting right. Well, sort of right - you get close enough and just give up for fear of regressing back to an absolute mess.

Like playing football on Boxing Day - it shouldn't be this difficult, should it?

sounds a bit like you don't know how to use it properly....

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've been using both OpenOffice and LibreOffice and both are better than MS Word, and both are free. I'm leaning toward LibreOffice as it allows you to import password locked .pdf files and edit them - very useful.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
On a laptop issued by my place of work, I have no choice as to what I use, alas.

I shall battle through and hope I make it out the other side. I may be some time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Correct, [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]. I have spent the last THREE days working on an issue involving pasting press standard graphs from Excel into Word 2010. It is absolutely wank, very much like the Windows operating system it tries to run on.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Correct, [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]. I have spent the last THREE days working on an issue involving pasting press standard graphs from Excel into Word 2010. It is absolutely wank, very much like the Windows operating system it tries to run on.

Importing stuff from Excel to Word is always a horrific and ugly procedure.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Too true. If you weren't told, you would absolutely never have guessed they were from the same company.

Definitely. Want to drop a table from Excel into Word? Word will act like the table's come from another planet.

*awaits condescending comments from people who have learnt all the knacks you have to use to make it work, thus missing the entire point that it should be a very simple "drag'n'drop" type procedure*

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Write the document in a text editor and then get some other chump to do all the fancy formatting in microsloth turd.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Word 2011 on my Macbook is driving me f***ing NUTS today.

Despite the fact that it is set to UK ENGLISH, the automatic spellcheck keeps altering words without warning, replacing S's with Z's and removing NECESSARY U's from words willy nilly.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Microsoft Word has to be the worst thing EVER! The most user-unfriendly system known to mankind ( and womankind).

Bloody thing's got a mind of it's own and I've always hated using it.

Luckily, the amount of letters etc that I have to do now are few and far between.

Too true. If you weren't told, you would absolutely never have guessed they were from the same company.

As I understand it they are completely different teams within Microsoft (and were originally completely separate companies purchased by MS) which is why there is so little compatibility. Not that I'm giving them an excuse - it's piss poor. Surely this kind of cross-usage should be one of the benefits of belonging to a giant company?

Write the document in a text editor and then get some other chump to do all the fancy formatting in microsloth turd.

I have to do this with all of the text that we write or receive from others - 'wash' it through notepad before bringing it in to our house style document, even if it's from another Word document. PITA.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Now entering my fourth year of not having any Microsoft products. Whatever other problems I have dealing with their shit is not one of them.

Om... Shanti

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Importing stuff from Excel to Word is always a horrific and ugly procedure.

Don't! Copy from Excel and paste as Device Independent Bitmap. You lose the connection to original spreadsheet and it won't update automatically, but so much easier to work with and closer to wysiwyg than pasting an Excel Chart Object.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Learn LaTeX. It'll take three months, but then you'll be able to do anything, and I mean anything, like parallel Greek-English-Coptic Bibles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here