Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micky Adams and loyalty

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
I love Micky Adams for what he did for this club first time round. 'A brilliant young manager' were the words which came over the tanoy as he collected his Champions medal at the Withdean at the turn of the century. *

I must admit I was f***ed off when he left us and felt patronised beyond belief when Brighton visited the Walkers Stadium and there he was saying in his programme notes how Brighton needed a ground like Leicesters' oh so wonderful bowl. We also had to endure the pleas from the opposing fans for Zamora to come and play for them, a proper team with a proper home.

Good luck, I conceded, how could anyone deny Micky the progress in his career that he so deserves away from the Withdean and it's Micky Mouse reputation. Why should Dick Knight stand in his way?*

But as is football and it's misty twists and turns, things were difficult for Micky. Although the grass looked much greener in 'the bowl' it wasn't actually green at all. The grass in Micky's garden had turned to straw.

A while later, the wilderness years, Micky returns to the Albion. It doesnt work out though. Fair do's, no damage done.*

And so onto Port Vale. Success! Great, good for you, now stick with it Micky. Finish the job, don't become just another journeyman, show your loyalty, your class. You are good and now it's time to sit back, take stock and do things a bit more slowly, like making love to a beautiful lady. There's no rush Micky. The big time will wait for you.

But no, Sheffield come calling, the team Micky supports, a nation gasps in anticipation. It turns into his biggest nightmare since the Dennis Wise holiday incident. Micky gets the boot.

But all is not lost, Mug Vale step in and re-appoint him. With no apparent shame or guilt at his blatant disloyalty, he accepts the job. *Another vicious circle commences.

I guess through all of this, the question remains. Where would we be now if Micky had stayed after taking us up? And where would Micky be in the big art called football management? My guess would be that he would have more of what he lacks now.*

Respect.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Leaving us for the Leicester assistant job did seem a bit "jumping ship"-like, but then his team were easily guided to promotion and he did end up getting his promised go at being Leicester's number one. Can't really blame him for taking the Sheff Utd job given the size of the club and his personal feelings towards them.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Quite a long time before he left us first time round Micky started talking about how he deserved a bigger job than ours. It was not respectful and for me knocked the gloss off his time with us.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
His a good lower league manager. Gets teams fit and motivated and can manipulate the transfer market well at a lower level.

Jobs above the bottom two divisions are well above his capabilities in my opinion hence being found out each time.

He would of taken us up as Champions again if he stayed, but he would of struggled to adapt to the rigours and demands of Championship football the season after.

I will always have a lot of time for him, as he took us over at a low ebb and transformed us into a very good team. He failed 2nd time round but history states very few managers make a success of things 2nd time around.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Should have stayed at Vale and finished the job he started this season. I think he is now in the last chance saloon of lower league management as there will be younger, wiser managers coming into the game to take the reigns of clubs like Vale in the future.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I will always respect Mickey for the turning round of the club,built a team to be champions and left the basis of another champion team,the fact he turned up at our demostrations at party conferences,but as someone said on another thread the only true loyalty is by die hard fans.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
In fairness to Mickey nobody forced him to join in the marches to the Labour Party conference but he did so. I can understand him leaving us and Port Vale but what I can't understand is why both clubs re-employed him.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
In fairness, we always knew how ambitious he was when he came to us and he made no effort to hide the fact that when a big club came a long he'd be off... Sheffield United was also an opportunity he couldn't pass up so I can see the appeal there too. I would, however, suggest that he needs to stay at Vale for at least 2 years.

Simply, he's made the mistake many young English managers make and leapfrogged up the League table too fast for his ability (Paul Ince being another example)

Lets be brutal though, loyalty is not a word associated with football.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
......apart from when he got Leicester promoted at the first attempt to the Premiership.

Fair point. I still think Adams is better suited to lower league football personally.

And there is a huge difference between the young and hungary Micky Adams of the late nineties early 2000's than the older tired looking and troubled Micky Adams of today.

Not sure what happened to him between his two spells with the Albion, but there was a huge contrast in his demeneaour and spirit. He seemed to easily lose heart second time around and lacked the fighting qualities that made his first spell so successful.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
ot sure what happened to him between his two spells with the Albion, but there was a huge contrast in his demeneaour and spirit. He seemed to easily lose heart second time around and lacked the fighting qualities that made his first spell so successful.

I imagine in his heart of hearts, by then, he accepted that he was not as good as he thought he was at the time he left us? Excellent League 2 manager where asking players to run through brick walls for you often works.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I like how people ignore that fact when they're giving Adams a kicking for having dared leave us.

I don't think it's ignored, so much as explained away by mentioning that he had a premier league squad in the championship, making it a lot easy to win promotion, thus downplaying his part in it..

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
He was a complete disaster second time round,lost the plot and sounded like a complete zombie whenever interviewed on the radio re our latest defeat.
He really is a lucky man to still be employed as a football manager.Almost constant employment AND pay-offs!
Good luck to Port Vale!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here