Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Michael Foot - Top Man

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
From the club web site.

Former Labour Leader Supports Falmer

By Tim Dudding

The former leader of the Labour Party, Michael Foot, has written to Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott to express his support for Albion's application for a new stadium at Falmer.

Mr Foot succeeded James Callaghan as Labour Party leader in 1980 following Margaret Thatcher's victory in the 1979 general election, a post he then held for three years.

A current director of Plymouth Argyle - the team he has supported since his childhood - Mr Foot attended Albion's recent 2-0 victory over the Pilgrims at Withdean, whereby the unsatisfactory conditions of Brighton's temporary home prompted him to contact the Deputy Prime Minister.

Mr Foot wrote, 'I have watched my team (Plymouth Argyle) play at Withdean Stadium on several occasions over the last few years. Every time I visit, I am reminded of its inadequacy as a venue for League football, let alone Championship Football.

'Brighton is a large, diverse and lively place, and Brighton and Hove Albion is a football club that is exceptionally well run and dedicated to the community it serves.

'I understand that you are currently assessing the planning application for a new stadium at Falmer. I strongly support this development and very much hope that you will approve the application.'

Now aged 92, Mr Foot was registered as a player with the Football League by Plymouth Argyle for his 90th birthday. Given the squad number 90, Mr Foot was described on the Pilgrims' official website as 'an experienced left-winger'.

Mr Prescott will deliver his verdict on Albion's stadium application on or before the 31st October.

Last edited:

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
:clap2: :clap2: Top man. Surely Prescott HAS to listen to an elder statesman like Micchael Foot?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
All supportive comments most gratefully received. I wished more MPs followed their local team as vigorously.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
I love how Plymouth have given Michael Foot a squad number, absolute classic.

So - if we get it, can we give Prescott a squad number? Maybe 88? "Journeyman defender, known to chuck in the occasional right cross....."

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Jesus. For a second there, I thought you meant Michael Foot had been seen in Top Man replacing those clothes he's worn since World War I.

Still, good on the old duffer for giving us a plug!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
3gulls said:
Foot is left-wing scum. Just because he supports Falmer, will not change that! :nono:

What he said had f*** all to do with politics, get over it.

Dandyman

In London village.
3gulls said:
Foot is left-wing scum. Just because he supports Falmer, will not change that! :nono:

Yeah, a life time spend trying to improve the lot of working people. What a terrible man. :dunce:

Jul 20, 2003
I saw the title of this thread and thought he'd got a job modelling duffle coats for their winter range

:dunce:

and I thought he was dead

silky1

Aug 2, 2004
Macclesfield
3gulls said:

Occasionally people miss the point and sentiment of another persons' actions. I think this a classic example.

It really doesn't matter if you support his political point of view, if the most ardent tory would I am sure gladly shake Mr. Prescott's hand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here