Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Meteor Shower Tonight According To The Beeb

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Annual Geminids meteor shower set to light up night sky

It is hoped Geminids will be more vivid than a recent meteor shower
Skygazers in the northern hemisphere are preparing for the high point of the annual Geminids meteor shower.

The shower is expected to be especially easy to see this year because it is nearly the new Moon, meaning there is less moonlight to obscure it.

The meteors can be seen streaking across the night sky from 2000 GMT onwards, reaching a peak after 2200.

Robert Massey, of the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, said about 100 meteors an hour would make it a "nice sight".

In August, people in the UK were treated to the sight of the Perseid meteor shower.

However, light from the last quarter Moon interfered with viewing.

That shower occurs when Earth passes through a stream of dusty debris from the comet Swift-Tuttle.

Earlier this year, in other parts of the world, many people who stayed up throughout the night to witness what was expected to be an intense meteor shower were left disappointed.

The Leonid meteor shower, the best views of which were to have been from Asia, was largely obscured by cloud.

Normally, meteor showers result from dust which has been blown away from comets which have passed near the sun.

The warmth of our star melts part of the icy comet, releasing rock fragments.

The naked eye is usually best for seeing meteors, which can often streak across more than 45 degrees of the sky.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I just stouck my head out the back door to see what the current overhead condidtions were and I noticed that it's clear here, BUT it's frickin freezing... 1.8C and dropping. I may well be into Astronomy, but I'd rather sit inside and finish off the lovely bottle of wine i've started.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
up papa

look up old son :smile:

Just been outside here in Lewes, it's pretty clear now (and bloody cold) but couldn't see any meteor shower. I looked straight up, to the left, to the right, round and round and then nearly slipped arse over tit but no sign of the f***ing shower anywhere. Should I try drinking a few more glasses of wine then perhaps the bastard will come into view?

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Just back from a stroll along the beach & couldn't see a bloody thing because of the cloud. I assume I am supposed to be able to see them over the Med.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Just been outside here in Lewes, it's pretty clear now (and bloody cold) but couldn't see any meteor shower. I looked straight up, to the left, to the right, round and round and then nearly slipped arse over tit but no sign of the f***ing shower anywhere. Should I try drinking a few more glasses of wine then perhaps the bastard will come into view?
wine always helps martin.

not too many mind..always drink responsibly
:thumbsup:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Just going to walk the dog, should I get me hard hat out of the motor, just in case?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here