Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Media to blame for spread of riots?

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
Lewisham Councillor Duwayne Brooks is on Sky News at the moment saying he believes the media is to blame for the spread of the riots as it showed young people that the police were "powerless" to stop them looting which caused more trouble around the country. I sort of agree with what he is saying but in a way Sky News, BBC News etc only have a job to do?

Thoughts..

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
People have to take responsibility for their own actions. Medias fault my arse.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
I certainly don't think it caused the riots but I wouldn't disagree that rolling 24 hour news on it didn't fan the flames a bit.

A little like Sky sports news and the Castle Morton rave.

kind of.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Notwithstanding that the looting was borne of... I don't know - reckless selfishness and pure spite, this is a society which more and more demands instant gratification. 'You have it - I want it, and it's unfair that I don't...'. I think the media - not just the news, but all forms of information and entertainment - needs to exercise a greater sense of responsibility generally.

Reality shows which satisfy people's insatiable craving for voyeurism (IACGMOOH), or for mob mentality (BGT / X-Factor), all of which is there to supply instant fame, fortune and shallowness without having to work hard to those trappings, only to see their lives played out in another tragic roundabout of kiss-and-tell, meaningless tittle-tattle misery.

f***. :(

Of course, I'm not saying this was what was going through the (empty) minds of these wankers at the time of the looting, but there was an awful lot of gratification from people stealing... anything, just to say they had it. It doesn't change the fact that not one person involved in this looting has one shred of personal responsibility towards themselves, their environment nor society.

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Shows how out of touch he is, even if they were not showing what was going on 'people' would have found out through word of mouth, BBM and Twitter/Facebook and acted as they did

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
Doesn't change the fact that not one person involved in this looting has one shred of personal responsibility towards themselves, their environment nor society.

the society that is heavily stacked in the riches favor, the society that picks upon them, the society that has no jobs for them, the society that is super expensive just to pay the bills so the mega corps get richer.

disclaimer: i personally do not condone, or ever see any excuse for, any violence or thieving.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
A fair whack of us are in that boat.

but on a very different layer. i am not in that boat, and if i was i would for sure do something about it, not violence or rioting, but i would not plod along watching tv, going to the supermarket if i felt like that.

those with poor parenting, lack of education, in gangs, and on drugs did do something about their frustration.

Violence is rarely mindless. The politics of a burning building, a smashed-in shop or a young man shot by police may be obscured even to those who lit the rags or fired the gun, but the politics are there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here