Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am schitzophrenic, and so am I

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Oh dear oh dear oh dear. If the 'kids' had started all these 'I' threads we'd all be going on about 'immature NSP types'.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Is anyone else irritated by the increasing use of the reflexive pronoun when it's not necessary. ("If you have any queries, please contact myself" or "We hope that youself has a pleasant stay")

I must get an email or letter a day containing this format. It seems to have been become fashionable in the last four or five years - why?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Gwylan said:
Is anyone else irritated by the increasing use of the reflexive pronoun when it's not necessary. ("If you have any queries, please contact myself" or "We hope that youself has a pleasant stay")

I must get an email or letter a day containing this format. It seems to have been become fashionable in the last four or five years - why?
Oh goody this is now a grammar thread. I don't like 'persons' being used instead of 'people' as the plural of person. "Will all persons not involved in the match please leave the pitch". Also the use of 'you yourself personally' when a simple 'you' will suffice: "So Gwlan you yourself personally don't like the modern use of the reflexive pronoun?"

.... and don't even get me STARTED on the decline of the definite article in modern journalism.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Tokyo Seagull said:
Shouldn't that be the "definitive" article. :dunce:
Er, no. Articles are all those little words like 'a', 'an' and 'the'. 'A' is an indefinite article because you don't know what it applies to: 'a hat, a dog'. 'The' is the definite article because it applies to something specific: 'the hat, the dog'. 'Some' is the partitive article because it applies to a specific part but not the whole: "I'd like some mustard please."

So, double dunce back to you with knobs on! I think you've been in Japan too long. In Japanese language, no articles.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Brovian said:
Er, no. Articles are all those little words like 'a', 'an' and 'the'. 'A' is an indefinite article because you don't know what it applies to: 'a hat, a dog'. 'The' is the definite article because it applies to something specific: 'the hat, the dog'. 'Some' is the partitive article because it applies to a specific part but not the whole: "I'd like some mustard please."

So, double dunce back to you with knobs on! I think you've been in Japan too long. In Japanese language, no articles.

isnt that the passive?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
ben andrews girlfriend said:
isnt that the passive?

No, the passive is where something is done to something else.

For example, 'the boy kicked the ball' is the active mood. 'The ball was kicked by the boy' is passive.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Gwylan said:
No, the passive is where something is done to something else.

For example, 'the boy kicked the ball' is the active mood. 'The ball was kicked by the boy' is passive.
Correct. Still BAG I'm impressed that you even know about active and passive. I was a victim of that botched attempt at social engineering called 'Comprehensive Schools'. I was 13 before I found out that English had verbs.

larus

Brovian said:
Correct. Still BAG I'm impressed that you even know about active and passive. I was a victim of that botched attempt at social engineering called 'Comprehensive Schools'. I was 13 before I found out that English had verbs.

I was 16 before I found out about adverbs as well mate.:lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Brovian said:

If I remember rightly, BAG is studying French and German so she'll have come across some grammar.

I know what you mean though Brovian. I learned about grammar from doing Latin for five years - it took me years to work out that English had active/passive and subjunctive/indicatibe too. English grammar just wasn't taught at all in the 60s/70s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here