McGHEE'S CLEAROUT - PREDICTIONS

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
I think the players to go free at season end will be:

Paul Watson
Dave Lee
Dean Hammond
Adam Hinshelwood (that car incident didn't do him any good)
John Piercy
Geoff Pitcher
Dean Blackwell

(excuse if any of them have time left on contracts, if they do, I think they will be made available for free transfer)

I believe Kuipers will be sold for a modest fee.

I think Guy Butters, Kerry Mayo, Gary Hart, Charlie Oatway, Nathan Jones and Simon Rodger will get new contracts, probably 1 year - even if we get to the first.

I think Iwelumo will get a 2 year deal and they will try to improve Leon Knight's contract to get him to sign on for longer.

I think Richard Carpenter will get a 2 year deal, as will Adam Virgo.

What does everyone else think he will do?

Last edited:

Rusco

Jul 8, 2003
Always Bringing Up The Rear
My opinion is that we will let these go:

Kuipers
Butters (unless he takes a wage cut)
Mayo (we have too many other good youngsters who can fill his position)
Watson
Lee
Oatway (possibly he will be given a club role)
Pitcher
Hart
Hammond
Rodger

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
McGhee says in today's Argus that Blackwell is proven 1st Division quality so will get a new deal if he's fit.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I doubt Rodger will get another contract. He's been injured all year and was a Coppell man. Its not as if this is a one off either - he is injury prone.

The only saving grace for Rodger is that we are not blessed with much midfield cover.

Pitcher and Lee MUST be shown the door this time - otherwise I'd be suprised to see McGhee doing a clearout this summer.

a - the money isn't there
b - the need isn't thereG

altho I grant you that Watson hasn't exactly impressed since MM arrrived but I would expect Booker and Hinshelwood to put up a very strong case for keeping him.

Kuipers might well consider his position at the end of the season (but i don't think we can afford to let him go) - Roberts fitness won't last forever, and he is liable to get a suspended for a red card at some stage

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
I really don't think Piercy has done enough to earn himself another deal. I think its bye bye to him.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
GUNTER said:
I really don't think Piercy has done enough to earn himself another deal. I think its bye bye to him.

It will be a shame if he goes, as he is one of the more talented players on the books. I honestly think Butters will go, especially if Blackwell is fit, people will say how harsh that is, but sadly the reality of the finances in modern football.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Lee and Pitcher are deffos. Also I think that Dan Beck and Dean Hammond will likely go.

After that not so sure - depends on which Division we find ourselves in

GUNTER said:

Piercy has flattered to decieve in his time here. His fitness has been an ongoing problem, so I suspect it's bye bye to him....

Last edited:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Piercy was good when he had a run in the team and was scoring a few goals (crackers at that). Id keep him for another year.

I think the emphasis in this thread is on 'who would get in to replace them?'. Whislt the likes of Waton and Piercy and Hart have not been amazing this year, would we get anyone better? We would also most likely have to pay first division wages and a signing on fee. Might make financial sense to keep them.

Last edited:

Jason Speaks

Feb 4, 2004
Portslade
I think Butters will probably be offered a new deal but much on reduced wages.

Therefore he may still be with us if his hunger outweighs his greed.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I hope that if Rodger and Blackwell do stay that they are on a month to month basis. They weren't exactly inundated with offers last year whilst they waited for better ones to come along.

I think Piercey should stay. he seems to have got his act together under McGhee and has only been unlucky with injury since then.

Mayo can play in a few positions and providing he's happy to do it, should be a useful member of the squad and the same might be said of Hart.

I think out of the old school only Watto totally deserves to be let go as he has done nothing for best part of two seasons now but if any of them will be first choice anymore is questionable.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
12 contracts up for renewal in the summer. I cannot see any of them being renewed.

http://thisisthealbion.co.uk/bright.../contracts.html

I might give Adam Virgo another year. Guy Butters may decide to retire, and the future of Nathan Jones may depend on whether another left sided midfielder/winger is available. ???

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here