Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
**** - GET HIM OUT

Kukev31

Feb 2, 2005
Birmingham
Give him a bit of time people. Croatia have never ever lost at home, that was always going to be a very tough game, lets not over react.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Should never have been appointed after all we weren't that hot when he was Number 2 (which most say he is metaphorically) and what did his club career actually produce ?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Kukev31 said:
Give him a bit of time people. Croatia have never ever lost at home, that was always going to be a very tough game, lets not over react.

If he was a club manager then giving him time would be the obvious answer. He's only been in the job five games after all. However he's an international manager. He doesn't have a 40 odd game season with which to improve over. He has a 12 game qualifying group, of which he has already played a third. In those four competitive games he has beaten Andorra, scraped to a win over Macedonia, failed to beat macedonia and then lost to croatia. That's not a particularly great record. Certainly there are still enough games left to qualify, we're not in a particularly good position at the moment but it's not horrific either. However too many more(infact any more ) performances and results like the last two or three and then we will be in serious danger of not qualifying. Which IMO is totally unacceptable. Whether you believe this is a 'golden' generation or not it is still one of the 10-15 best groups of players in the world and as such should be playing in all the major tournaments.

Having said that if we were to sack him, who would replace him? Who would want the job? Seems to me we're stuck with him whether we like it or not. A lot of people are going to be praying that he's up to the job...

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Thre was no english manager good enough - plus the players need a bloody rocket up them as well - shower of shite.

Oneill was the man but the FA have failed us again - and could even he get these supposed world class players to get anything right. 3 consecutive passes with be nice.

silky1

Aug 2, 2004
Macclesfield
Willow said:
You've got to give him the whole qualifying campaign at least, there's no point making a change now.

I disagree, with club managment you would have a point, their is usually a lot more time to turn things around, and in with less resources, but an International manager has far more to work with.

Bring in a new manager today, and we could have an entirely different starting eleven, formation, tactics for the next game.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
silky1 said:
I disagree, with club managment you would have a point, their is usually a lot more time to turn things around, and in with less resources, but an International manager has far more to work with.

Bring in a new manager today, and we could have an entirely different starting eleven, formation, tactics for the next game.

But where does it end? Everytime a manager gets a couple of dodgy results in a row you sack him? Sometimes you win, other time you will lose, that's football. If we fail to qualify it's goodbye Steve but he has to be given every opportunity to suceed without the fear that every match could be his last.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Willow said:
But where does it end? Everytime a manager gets a couple of dodgy results in a row you sack him? Sometimes you win, other time you will lose, that's football. If we fail to qualify it's goodbye Steve but he has to be given every opportunity to suceed without the fear that every match could be his last.

It would help if the performances were such that we look like we have a good chance of qualifying. If we look guileless, passionless, directionless and generally clueless then a lot of responsibility falls on the shoulders of the manager. Dodgy results are one thing. Dodgy results allied with horrendoues, ineffectual performances are another.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My usual position is to say "Don't blame the manager, England have always been a 2nd tier footballing nation and simply changing the top guy won't alter it. Ask instead why they can't do basic things like pass the ball over two yards".

However I'm going to make an exception. Although I'm not one of those who believe that this is an especially 'great' crop of England players they are surely capable of playing better than they have over the last two games. The blame for the sub-standard team performances lies with McClaren. Can't Peter Taylor manage the national team part time? He's done alright with the U-21s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here