Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Max Miller

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Died before I was born, but always aware he was from Brighton. I always thought the fast show charactor that shouts wheres your washboard was based on him. Born in Hereford Street Brighton but don't know where abouts in town he lived and died after that.

Theres some you tube footage here see what you think, he was banned due to telling risque jokes but it all seems tame now.

BIO

Max Miller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada
One of his jokes that got him banned was that he met a girl on a narrow cliffside path travelling in the opposite direction. He didn't know whether to block her passage, or toss himself off.
Poor old Maxie. A fixture at the Hippodrome in Middle Street.

Fergus96

Oct 20, 2004
Hove
Died before I was born, but always aware he was from Brighton. I always thought the fast show charactor that shouts wheres your washboard was based on him. Born in Hereford Street Brighton but don't know where abouts in town he lived and died after that.

Theres some you tube footage here see what you think, he was banned due to telling risque jokes but it all seems tame now.

BIO

Max Miller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He lived on Marine Parade just past Belgrave Place, there is a blue plaque up in his honour

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Cremated or buried (forget which) at Downs Crematorium Bear Road, theres a Plaque and an area named after him

D

Deleted User X18H

A Brighton man a pure Brightonian born here lived here died here..................not many left like that now. BRA

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
There's quite a bit of info about Max on this site, click on People and then Entertainers from the menu on the left. He used to walk around Brighton dressed in his multi coloured suits and plus-fours, I remember my Dad pointing him out to me as he crossed Western Road back in about 1958.

http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
There's quite a bit of info about Max on this site, click on People and then Entertainers from the menu on the left. He used to walk around Brighton dressed in his multi coloured suits and plus-fours, I remember my Dad pointing him out to me as he crossed Western Road back in about 1958.

http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/

Thanks, found his house, enjoyed the accounts on here of people that met him

http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__7538_path__0p117p156p373p.aspx

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
What you saw on the stage you saw in real life on the Brighton streets with Max- his stage persona was his real life persona. My dad used to work in London Road when he was 16 and Max would shout a cheery first name welcome to him across the street. Max made a point of knowing people who worked and lived in the area. A Brighton legend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here