Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mattresses!

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Anyone know anything about the different types of mattresses available?

Mrs Box and I need a new mattress as our current one is over 7 years old and we have spent all weekend looking at various different mattresses and getting more and more confused.

There are different ones available - open spring, pocket spring, reflex, foam, orthopaedic foam, memory foam, and a combination of the aforementioned.

Memory foam seems a good idea for comfort but as it also keeps you warmer, would not be a good idea in the summer as it gets hot enough as it is. Pocket spring is better than open spring as pocket springs are individual not linked like the open spring. Then you get open spring, pocket spring or reflex foam mattresses with memory foam tops.

It needs to be a King Size and our bedroom is in a loft conversion so we thought that one of these vacuum pack ones would be a good idea for maneuverability. Trouble is, although many stores advertise these on their websites, they don't have them in stock - Bensons, for example, have 5 different roll-up mattresses on their website ranging from £250 to £450 but only have the cheapest one in their store. I really want to try one before I decide which one to buy.

Anyone got any first hand experience of buying a new mattress recently?

Many thanks.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We bought a king size bed a couple of years ago. Looked in all the stores to get an idea of what the matresses felt like and then ordered a bed online from Argos which had open springs. Memory foam is expensive for what it is and the profit margin is tremendous for the retailer.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Only one word of advice - Go to a proper bed shop (Sussex Bed Centre) and not a shop like Homebase.

Also - always remember this...

People pay in average in excess of £3000 for a car which you spend on average 2 hours a day in. However, you spend around 8 hours a day in bed and yet, people complain when they have to pay over £150 for something that is ...

a) going to be used more
b) won't need a service or MOT each year
c) is a necessity
d) will last you for at least 10 years

£150 does sound too bad now does it?

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
I got a memory foam mattress, and personally don't think I'd ever go back to sprung..

They've quite different though, actually support you rather than sagging in - I know some people have said they don't like them because of this.. they've probably not just given them a chance, but with this in mind it'd probaly worth testing the different types in a shop.

I did this, then bought my mattress cheaper on line - as they're foam, some can be rolled up so delivery costs are not that bad.

Also, never noticed any heat deifference specific to foam mattresses, never even crossed my mind they night be differemt in that way actually..

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
Only one word of advice - Go to a proper bed shop (Sussex Bed Centre) and not a shop like Homebase.

People pay in average in excess of £3000 for a car which you spend on average 2 hours a day in. However, you spend around 8 hours a day in bed and yet, people complain when they have to pay over £150 for something that is ...

a) going to be used more
c) is a necessity

wise words, wise words indeed.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We've just bought a new pocket sprung mattress with memory foam and it's great and wasn't overly expensive. The Grub did all the research, so knows where it came from, etc, so I'll alert her to this thread and hopefully she'll add some decent info for you.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now

a) going to be used more
c) is a necessity

Thanks - would only go to a bed shop for advice and then hopefully get what I wanted cheaper on line.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I got a memory foam mattress, and personally don't think I'd ever go back to sprung..

They've quite different though, actually support you rather than sagging in - I know some people have said they don't like them because of this.. they've probably not just given them a chance, but with this in mind it'd probaly worth testing the different types in a shop.

I did this, then bought my mattress cheaper on line - as they're foam, some can be rolled up so delivery costs are not that bad.

Also, never noticed any heat deifference specific to foam mattresses, never even crossed my mind they night be differemt in that way actually..
Is it memory foam over reflex foam rather than over open or pocket spring then?

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
We've just bought a new pocket sprung mattress with memory foam and it's great and wasn't overly expensive. The Grub did all the research, so knows where it came from, etc, so I'll alert her to this thread and hopefully she'll add some decent info for you.
Thanks Sully - hope to hear The Grub's wise words in due course.

The Grub

Nov 14, 2004
Hurstpierpoint
So, here are my wise words. Like you I realised that buying a mattress was going to require some research. I did the usual searching and reading online and spoke to a few people. I ended up reading a thread that I found on moneysavingexpert.com, about 70 odd pages of it too. There is a guy on there who gives lots of advice as he works at an independent bed shop and it all makes good sense. Turns out that, after a search, it's a shop called Bedlam Beds. I ended up ordering online through him. http://www.bedlum-beds.co.uk/section/0/Customer-Reviews
I ended up buying a La Romantica, Venice mattress, about £450 + delivery and I'm very pleased with it. He said the ideal mix is 2" of memory foam on top and bottom and pocket sprung about 1000 + in a king size. More memory foam than that does not have enough bounce in it! He also said to avoid the big names and get good advise from an independent. I would avoid names like sleepeazy, Silentnight etc.

Last edited:

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I went to the bed shop at the far end of Hove by the Nut & Bolt Store, and near what was the Gala Bingo. Very helpful, honest, and handmade.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I don't know if you have a bensons beds near you? Bought a memory foam mattress there for £400 yesterday (a double) which was extremly comfy.

Think it was reduced from £800 ish or something like that.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I got a air spring pocket KS mattress back in May from DFS [delivered as vac pack] which is very comfortable and seems to do the job. Was about £250 I think?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Foam is best for the back - foam shop (not a bed shop) on North Rd Btn will cut you a double bed/king bed piece of foam to your specs for £100. Cheap as chips!

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
Anyone know anything about the different types of mattresses available?

Mrs Box and I need a new mattress as our current one is over 7 years old and we have spent all weekend looking at various different mattresses and getting more and more confused.

There are different ones available - open spring, pocket spring, reflex, foam, orthopaedic foam, memory foam, and a combination of the aforementioned.

Memory foam seems a good idea for comfort but as it also keeps you warmer, would not be a good idea in the summer as it gets hot enough as it is. Pocket spring is better than open spring as pocket springs are individual not linked like the open spring. Then you get open spring, pocket spring or reflex foam mattresses with memory foam tops.

It needs to be a King Size and our bedroom is in a loft conversion so we thought that one of these vacuum pack ones would be a good idea for maneuverability. Trouble is, although many stores advertise these on their websites, they don't have them in stock - Bensons, for example, have 5 different roll-up mattresses on their website ranging from £250 to £450 but only have the cheapest one in their store. I really want to try one before I decide which one to buy.

Anyone got any first hand experience of buying a new mattress recently?

Many thanks.

I,ve had a 1000 pocket sprung foam mattress for 12 months now and would not go back to anything else,also i have no problems in summer in the heat.
I would highly recommend getting one now,Dreams have a 50% sale on at the moment i believe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here