Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

matt richards thoughts about this

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Matt Richards is keen to extend his Albion stay - to show what he can really do.

The Ipswich left-back's month on loan ends with the big clash at home to Leeds a week on Saturday.

Richards, relieved to be playing regular first team football, is eager to remain on the south coast for longer if the Seagulls want him.

advertisement
He said: "We haven't spoken about it yet but I am sure we will at some point. If they want me I am sure I will definitely want to stay.

"It's gone reasonably well. The defensive displays have been really good and we've kept a clean sheet in the last three games, which is a positive sign.

"I think my own game is slowly improving. I am still not playing to my full ability but there are signs that I am getting back to my old self and playing some good football.

"I am really enjoying it. Regular football is benefiting me a lot and the lads and the coaching staff are brilliant.

"I hadn't played regularly for a while. Brighton have given me an opportunity to do that and I am thankful for it."

Albion assistant Dean White believes there is better to come from Richards.

He said: "I think he is getting to where he wants to be and where we think he can be.

"Reserve team football is never the same as first team football.

"It takes a little while to adjust and he has come to new surroundings. He has only ever been at Ipswich, never on loan anywhere else, so I think it has been a bit of a culture shock.

"You will see him getting better and better every game. He is settled in now amongst the lads and he is looking more and more comfortable.

"The team at the moment looks like it is going in the right direction and he has been part of that, part of three clean sheets."

Richards makes his fifth appearance for Albion in tonight's Johnstone's Paint Trophy tie at home to League Two Barnet.

The Seagulls are without experienced duo Guy Butters (calf) and Nicky Forster (thigh) but White expects manager Dean Wilkins to be well enough to take charge after illness kept him away from the training ground yesterday.

Meanwhile, Senegal midfielder Daniel Bocande completes a two-match trial in the reserves in a rearranged game against Millwall at Worthing tomorrow night (7pm).

How do you think Matt Richards has performed in an Albion shirt? Let us know at

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
is he much better than rents,why waste the budget?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'd rather have Rents playing.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Two schools of thought really.

One.... he doesn't look any better than what we already have, although agree he has been better in last couple of games than he was at first.

Two... he has been part of a back four that haven't conceded in last three games..... and that is hard to argue against.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It would be nice to see Rents play, but I am going to trust Deano on this one. He knows him better than anyone and there could be a variety of reasons for his omission. Richards is slowly improving and we have had three clean sheets in a row.

He gives us a bit of flexibility. We don't know how long it will be until Lynch is back (we don't want to rush him) and getting rid of Richards would leave us short in numbers at the back.

What are the other options at left back? El-Abd? Mayo? I would rather have Richards with Rents as back up.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I thought his first game against Yeovil. He was dissapointing, but that was down to nerves aswell as no match fitness. He improved against Swansea away, look very steady and did some very good tackles when we needed it most. On Saturday, he was pretty solid for most of the game. didn't really get trouble atall. I think we should keep him for at least another month, because Lynch will be back soon. And that could mean Rents might go out on loan somewhere.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Whats this Bocande like?

A midfielder who likes to get tough tackles in. If you can get to Worthing on Wed evening, you'll be able to see him in action against Millwall reserves.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
think it is likely we will keep him. its obvious mayo has finally fallen out of favour, and el abd proved with his shocker at gillingham that he cant play left back, although given the fact wilkins seems to love him it would not suprise me to see him there again at some point this season. he also seems to be oblivious to the fact that rents, our BEST left back in my opinion, exists, and with all this in mind i reckon we will keep him for at least another month

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I've said it from his first game. He strolls around the pitch like he's a big name player. His main objective appears to be staying on the pitch without getting injured.
He constantly doesnt go in for challenges, and lets right wingers get past him too easily.

No doubt he is a good player, but his work ethic doesnt seem right.

Sam Rents has to be given a chance. Wilkins says he's not tough enough yet, maybe thats why he's been playing centre back for the reserves. As far as i can tell Rents is not any worse than Richards, and is a great supply for the front men too.

Maybe the answer is Richards left back, with Rents left wing, Cox on the right wing?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As BoF says, three clean sheets in a row, is hard to argue against.

I'm also far from convinced by him so far, but he is improving and have no objections to him staying for one more month, until Hinsh, Butters and Lynch are hopefully all back.

If all three are out tonight [which they are] I would rather see Whing or Fraser at CB than El-Abd.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
was awful first game , think he has settled down a bit now , played ok vs rovers. Not worried about him

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I think he's got better each game, although Bournemouth he had a poor one against their very lively winger. Generally I think he is solid defensively, not so good on the ball, although a few good set pieces maybe suggest there is more to come.

I'd like to see Rents given a go on the left wing, he can pass, and he's one of the best crossers we have. Move Cox over to the right.

As was said on another web site, had Rents played like Richards for the last few games would Deano have been pleased - I think not?

Rents can consider himself unlucky and I hope it doesn't undermine his confidence and long term prospects as he ultimately is more important to us than Richards.

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
Richards plays deep, which is fine by me, as Rents pushes too far up the field and leaves the back door open. Richards had a good game on Saturday. He was solid and passed the ball to Brighton players. What more do you want from a left-back?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here