Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matt Prior

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
At the advocation of the devil...

Is it not about time that Matthew realises that he is not going to be a test great and plumps for being a great county player?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Has a test average of 40+ still, I wouldn't write him off just yet. Clearly not going to be a great but can be a decent enough wicketkeeper-batsman I think.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Wasn't he dropped because of his keeping, as opposed to his average? He's shown enough so far to prove he's improved, so will be interesting to see how he does.

Percy Flage

Perfidious Albion Exile
Nov 6, 2008
The High Weald
Why ask the question now when I don't believe he has played in a test match for about a year?
Hopefully he will get another chance on this tour but I think the question will be has his keeping improved.
His batting is certainly test level on evidence so far.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
At the advocation of the devil...

Is it not about time that Matthew realises that he is not going to be a test great and plumps for being a great county player?

Er, If picked, who would turn down the opportunity ? Its down to the selectors to decide, rightly or wrongly his Test career. Remember how the selectors persevered with Ramps for ages even though he never made more than 30 in about 24 innings ?..... an eventually dropped him.. he never said " I don't think I'm good enough, don't pick me "

Matt is a good batsman and may become a great one yet

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If he gets cramp every time he reaches 30 runs, we might as well play a better keeper instead.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
He is just in the scheme of things the best of a bad bunch at the mo,i heard alec stewart say today that basicly he isnt doing what he is there for so its time to go,and thats from the guy who pretty much spent a year with matt working on his keeping.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I always thought Matt would be superb in one dayers but to be honest he's been nothing but a disappointment. Maybe Bopara should move up the order or give Wright a chance. At least they MIGHT get a decent score at a decent pace. Matt unfortunately won't.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
If he gets cramp every time he reaches 30 runs, we might as well play a better keeper instead.

So Mr Cricket Expert, who would that be?

You continually come to cricket threads saying that so and so should be dropped, or the youngsters should be brought through, but every time you are unable to offer an alternative player or players, so the floor is open to you, please do enlighten us.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
He's not an opener but compared to the rest of the team he's not doing badly and his keeping's fine. He had a very good series against the S Africans. I'd say Bopora, Collingwood and Anderson's places are the most at risk

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
He's not an opener but compared to the rest of the team he's not doing badly and his keeping's fine. He had a very good series against the S Africans. I'd say Bopora, Collingwood and Anderson's places are the most at risk

I agree. OK, Prior's no Gillespie but he's a good one-day keeper and a good one-day batsman, and probably the best we've got at present. You could say that the for Test team you pick the best keeper regardless of their batting ability but that's another argument (and given the frailty of England's batting that debate will go on for a while as well).

Trouble is, if he doesn't open where do you play him? Down the order you need the big hitters and quick scorers. Opener is probably his best position; I could be a bit perverse and suggest that him getting to 30 and then getting out isn't actually a bad tactic.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
. Opener is probably his best position; I could be a bit perverse and suggest that him getting to 30 and then getting out isn't actually a bad tactic.

I would suggest that when chasing a score as big as we have had to do in the last two matches getting to 30 odd in 50 odd balls is not good enough, then again it's not like anyone else has really been able to take to the bolwesr at the top of the order.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here