Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Match Reports are crap. I'm bored with them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I used to love reading the match reports in national newspapers, but now I'm totally bored with them. I'll read the Albions report, but outside of that, I couldn't give a toss now.

"so and so went through but put his shot wide" blah blah
"struck from 25 yards giving the keeper no chance" blah blah
"cross came in, but keeper gathered at his feet" etc etc

Bo-ring.
I'm at the stage now where I just read the stats bit to get the score and the minutes the goals went in. Everything else just bores me, unless there's some unusual, controversial or major incident within the game to chew over. Some of the snippet reports on lower division stuff is a total waste of space anyway, cos it doesn't tell you anything else on top of what you can pick up from the stats page, eg: "Mansfield came from behind to beat Northampton at Field Mill yesterday. Second half goals from La de Daa and La de Dee cancelled out an early strike by Northamptons Fuzzy Twatt".

Does anyone else just skip the match reports in the Nationals now ? (Of course I am not referring to Simons excellent Albion match reports here, which are always top quality and full of passion).

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Not so much boring but blatantly wrong is what gets me. My missus reads the Sunday Express (I am trying to educate her) and I was reading a match report earlier in the year about the Blackburn V Liverpool game. The report basically slagged off the ref for sending off Lucas Neil saying it was a nothing tackle. Well I beg to differ. Not only did it break Carraghers leg it was 2 footed, dangerous & even my granny could see that. According to the journo the ref was wrong. People shouldn't be allowed to print such things and get away with it.

Not only that you get biased journalism. Time and again I watch games and read shit in a national newspaper about how a team was unlucky when anyone can see they were deserved losers.

It amazes me people are paid to do this job so badly.

Inkerman

Sep 3, 2003
Berkshire
Newspaper reports are basically outdated.
Years ago it was all anyone had as a way of finding out how the match went. Now the chances are that you've seen the match or at least the highlights on TV.
Like you I only look at the stats in the Sunday papers cos I've heard all the reports on the radio at 5pm on the way back from wherever the Albion are playing, then I've often seen The Premiership later in the evening. No reason to read a report as well - I've already made my mind up about what happened.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Most of the broadsheets offer analysis and comment, putting the game into a wider context of issues surrounding that club, a particular person, a current hot topic and so on. They're usually much more valuable than the "This happened, then this happened, then this happened..." simple reporting of the tabloids. The Guardian and Independent are particularly good for this.

The Observer does a good thing with Div One, where each match gets a comment from both managers and a fan's quick opinion, the stats and that's it. (Or at east it used to last season when we were there, haven't looked since.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here