Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Match Report

Falmer Forever

Jan 5, 2011
Today was a very frustrating day losing 6-0 to a team that were not very good. But they did not have to be good today with are performance being awful. The first goal was very poor to concede after Vicente had given the ball away. Vaz Te had acres of space to pick his place and shoot. I had no idea what Brezovan was doing but he should of saved it. I think if Brezovan had not let it go in, the scoreline would not of been so big as are heads went down. West Ham came out of the blocks very quickly putting us under a lot of pressure not letting us play the way we do, causing us to make mistakes. They did not let us settle and played very high up the pitch for the first 15 minutes. The second goal was again very poor defending as the no one closed the crosser down. What frustrated me even more was that Greer didn't even attempt to jump letting Vaz Te just head it in to Brezovan's near post. West Ham didn't finish there still putting tonnes of pressure onto our back four. The third goal was even more annoying as again it was suicidal defending by Painter (who made a return after a long time out). Again like Greer he wasn't bothered about were the ball was. He tried to stop the West ham player from heading across goal. As he and many other Brighton players, he does not have the physicality to cope with that. The ball was headed across goal and Nolan tapped in. With about 6 Brighton players in there nobody picked him up or the ball and there we were 3-0 down with 11 minutes gone. If it wasn't down to Brezovan i think we could of been at least 5-0 down after 20 minutes. Brighton then started playing there usual passing game up to half time as West Ham eased off the pressure. Brighton played good football with Vicente and Assulin linking up well and looking threatening. Brighton controlled the game up to half time and probably should of had a goal, which would of spiced things up but we didn't. Half time came and soon the second half started and Brighton piled on the pressure in the first 5 minutes. Mackail-smith came on for Barnes who was no where to be seen all game and when was, giving the ball away and Lua Lua came on for the threatening Assulin. From then on Brighton never looked like scoring as the midfield especially Navarro and Dicker kept giving the ball away very cheaply. Soon came West Ham's fourth, again from Brighton's poor defending. The ball was played into the back post with Cole having a completely free header to put it back across goal. Communication was no where as El-Abd, who was all over the place today, got in Painter's way. Painter headed it straight to Vaz Te who completed his hat-trick with a very nice overhead kick. Brighton had gifted them 4 goals. West Ham's fifth cam very quickly after the fourth as Dicker, who grew worse and worse as the game progressed, gave the ball away again very cheaply to Taylor who slotted in Cole for the fifth. It did take a big deflection off Lansbury and Brezovan could of done nothing about it. Noone came on for Vicente which at first looked stupid as Vicente was our best player today. But Poyet knew we were not going to get anything out of the game so took him off to rest him for Tuesday night's game against Watford. The game progressed with Brighton getting out-muscled in every department. The sixth goal came from a Mark Noble corner which bounced off Dicker and in, which just compounded in the misery for Brighton.

Overall today was a massive learning curve as it showed that we are not good enough to go up to the Premier League. It also showed who is good enough for the championship and who isn't. Navarro was shocking today, giving the ball away countless amount of times and basically not being there, like Dicker. I thought Dicker looked promising at the start but faded quickly, giving the ball away a lot as well. Bridcutt did alright but was muscled out of the game. Greer, El-Abd and Painter were horrific and i definitely think Mattock is better than Painter. I thought Calderon was average and did alright. Cms and Barnes were just both dreadful and could not hold the ball up to save there lives. I think Cms is a waste of money at the moment but i do think that with a better striker alongside him like Boyd or Vaz Te i think he would do much better. Vicente again was our best player looking lively and dangerous but i think Assulin was good as well looking to take on players with his low centre of gravity. Noone's end product is not good enough for this league while Lua Lua was marked out of the game. Probably the biggest factor was that we barley won a header and was out-muscled in every position. In addition there was no leadership or inspiration in the as when we did something wrong Greer just shouted the hell out of them.

Today showed who's good enugh for this league and who's not. Navarro, Painter, Noone, Barnes, Cms (at the moment) and probably Dicker. This season has been a very good one exceeding all expectations with Poyet showing how good of a manager he is and what he has and will do for us especially with the players and budget he has. I seriously think that people who doubt him show get themselves checked up because without him I don't know where we would be.

Ok we lost 6-0 but we are playing a near enough Premiership team and it was always going to be a real test for us. I think the team will be completely different on Tuesday and i would really like to see JFC back because i think he would link up with Vicente well. If we could sign some Strong, talented players in the summer i think we could a very strong side next season. We will need to better are horrid away record but with a home form and the way we play we could be serious contenders for going up. For where we were, bottom of league one to eighth in the championship is a remarkable achievement and if we stay on the Gus bus who knows what we can do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here