Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Master Bates admits "mistake"

Dandyman

In London village.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
God bless David Conn, he's like a terrier with Bates' trouser leg in his teeth who won't let go. I find his pieces hard to follow, but that's the nature of the web of bullshit weaved by Bates.

I've always found Bates uncannily similar to Archer, not just in looks, but also the way they use hurricane-force bluster and intimidation to shield their dodgy financial shennagians. Allegedly etc.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Interesting stuff.

I wonder when the F.A will wade in?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If someone (and presumably Wills will) formally refers it to the FL then they are obliged to review the situation. I suspect they will reach an "accomodation" over Notts County's (similarly veiled) ownership which will enable them to gloss over their own rules for both clubs.
In truth when the option is for both to (potentially) collapse, any other decision would be unlikely.

The question of course remains whether Bates is, or was ever, a "fit and proper person" to have anything to do with football?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Yeah, I got you - sorry, wasn't implying that you weren't.

No worries.

Its a f***ing travesty that Bates continually weasles through this stuff. With Leeds looking unstoppable this season how long before they're back in the prem and Bates raking it in?

Bastard.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Looks like there is a trail of evidence here that shows that Leeds hoodwinked the administrators. Be interested to hear Starrys view on all this.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I hope they get suitably f***ed. They won't though, and they'll walyz back into the Premiership to be welcomed with open arms by Andy Gray et al, back where they 'belong'.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Be funny if Bates was found not to be officially "fit and proper" and therefore Leeds were deducted another 20 points or so.

Dandyman

In London village.
I have no faith in the FA to do anything other than FA, but if Bates were found guilty of perjury or of being untruthful about the ownership of the creditors who handed the club to him then it could open up a whole new can of worms.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
I have no faith in the FA to do anything other than FA, but if Bates were found guilty of perjury or of being untruthful about the ownership of the creditors who handed the club to him then it could open up a whole new can of worms.

Im not a Lawyer but I don'y think you can be found guilty of perjury in a case outside the criminal court.

The issue of "fit and proper person" is the real one here...if no-one knows who actually owns the club and Bates won't say...surely thats a suspension straight off..I fail to see how Leeds can be owned by a mystery group of investors when everyone else has to declare every detail or face de-selection from the league

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Im not a Lawyer but I don'y think you can be found guilty of perjury in a case outside the criminal court.

The issue of "fit and proper person" is the real one here...if no-one knows who actually owns the club and Bates won't say...surely thats a suspension straight off..I fail to see how Leeds can be owned by a mystery group of investors when everyone else has to declare every detail or face de-selection from the league

Similar with Notts County isn't it.
If the ownership of a club is shrouded in mystery, and all you get is smoke and mirrors when trying to ascertain who it is that is bankrolling the club, then you can pretty much guarantee that they've got something to hide. The League really need to start cracking down on this.

Surely the issue of ownership and the fit & proper persons test should have to be ratified by the League BEFORE they allow the ownership of a football club to change hands. When is Mawhinney going to grow some balls and start applying the rules here ?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Similar with Notts County isn't it.
If the ownership of a club is shrouded in mystery, and all you get is smoke and mirrors when trying to ascertain who it is that is bankrolling the club, then you can pretty much guarantee that they've got something to hide. The League really need to start cracking down on this.

Surely the issue of ownership and the fit & proper persons test should have to be ratified by the League BEFORE they allow the ownership of a football club to change hands. When is Mawhinney going to grow some balls and start applying the rules here ?

Ah yes, but when Leeds were admitted everyone THOUGHT that Bates was a bona-fide owner...now apparently, that was a "mistake" on his part.

Personally I often mistakenly believe that I own Liverpool or Man Utd as I'm sure do many of you, its easy to do. That sort of oversight is completely understandable.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Yes you can. The law of perjury applies to any declaration made to a judicial proceeding. So, not just criminal cases but any civil court or an inquest, a Parliamentary committee, Royal Commission would also come under this.
I don't know where and when (or what) Bates said - I just generally assume that he's up to no good and leave it at that - but if it were in any form of judicial heariing, he could face perjury charges.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Yes you can. The law of perjury applies to any declaration made to a judicial proceeding. So, not just criminal cases but any civil court or an inquest, a Parliamentary committee, Royal Commission would also come under this.
I don't know where and when (or what) Bates said - I just generally assume that he's up to no good and leave it at that - but if it were in any form of judicial heariing, he could face perjury charges.

All good, nothing bad.

I assumed that Perjury implied misleading a jury..obviously when I think about it in more depth that is pretty dense.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Personally I often mistakenly believe that I own Liverpool or Man Utd as I'm sure do many of you, its easy to do. That sort of oversight is completely understandable.

Absolutely.

Likewise I am often confused when people are unhappy that I'm only prepared to pay them 17p for every £1 I owe them.

For example, this woman in Barnados started crying when I bought a second hand suit for £20 and only paid her £3.40. What IS her problem?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here