Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massively inflated prices

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I looked in the WH Smith at Brighton Station for a packet of crisps today...

A packet of Hula Hoops is 89p. :eek: 89p!!!

What is the world coming to? 92p for a packet of McCoys too...

It makes the Withdean prices look like a bargain! :ohmy:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I had the same experience the other week in WHSmiths in Victoria and couldn't believe the nerve of them selling chocolate bars for about 70p. It would be easier to swallow if their prices were uniform across the board but it really is taking the piss to hike their prices in train stations.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I looked in the WH Smith at Brighton Station for a packet of crisps today...

A packet of Hula Hoops is 89p. :eek: 89p!!!

What is the world coming to? 92p for a packet of McCoys too...

It makes the Withdean prices look like a bargain! :ohmy:

and that is the reason I always go to Budgens just outside.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's the same with everything though isn't it? My favourite one is Burger Kings in motorway services - what'll cost you about £7 at Pease Pottage will cost £5 at Burgess Hill (one which a lot of people don't seem to know about fortunately).

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
It's the same with everything though isn't it? My favourite one is Burger Kings in motorway services - what'll cost you about £7 at Pease Pottage will cost £5 at Burgess Hill (one which a lot of people don't seem to know about fortunately).

£2 pound not to have to go to Burgess Hill seems like excellent value to me

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
NikNaks (which are a small bag of crisps as it is) at Brighton station - 99p. I assumed the bloke had made a mistake when he put it through.

Bizarre as they also do some pretty good deals at the same counter - big ol' Cadburys and Galaxy bars for £1 down from about £2.50.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
£2 pound not to have to go to Burgess Hill seems like excellent value to me

:laugh:

Too true, I cannot stand the place! (my apologies to any Burgess Hillbillies on here, but I worked in that hole for 7 years!)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm amazed WH Smith has survived frankly. They were my bet bet to be the next to go under, after Woolies collapsed last year. EVERYTHING in there is priced at top whack (whether at the station or otherwise). Books you can pick up in Sussex Stationers for £3 or £4 are still holding their "cover" release price of £7 or £8 in Smiths. And as for their DVD's, they NEVER seem to have any decent deals or offers on, even on the older ones.

I don't think I've ever brought anthing more than a newspaper at that place.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Not entirely their fault. Im sure youd be horrified to know just how much they are charged for the priveledge of having a store at a major train station! I worked on setting up a stand at the ideal home exhibition and there was nothing to eat there for less than 6 quid (for a small pie). 30 grand to be there in the 1st place explains why tho!

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In fairness to WHSmiths, they don't get to choose the price on their own. It has to be by prior agreement with Walkers.

And to soften the blow, you do get a FREE 'Hello Gary Lineker' baseball cap with them...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
at victoria, use the little "sweet shop" place on the right as you go to platforms 14+. water used to be 50p, think its gone up now but pops and confectionary are sensible prices.

WHSmiths will get away with it as long as people are mug enough to buy it and not say f*** off at the counter. it pisses me right off that they also try to sell me "disconunted" 1kg chocolate bars, if i wanted choclate id have picked some up wouldnt i?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I paid £1.10 for a packet of Hula Hoops at Cherwell valley services not so long ago. This was as well as a chicken wrap for the best part of a fiver which had almost zero chicken in it.

Robbing. Thieving, gits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here