Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

March 29th, 1986: The Palace Delusion

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's a fun rivalry. If God decided to remove 1 team from the English league for good, but said I could save a handful of teams, Palace would be one of the teams I saved. It's less fun without a rival. Those who truly (I mean seriously) hate Palace need to get out more.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The difference is that Murray signed on a Bosman free, if Palarse had paid a transfer fee for him or we'd released him I think it would have annoyed people less. Well it would have me anyway.

Fair enough, I didn't think they had the resources to have signed him.

For everyone who voted 'Stay Up' in the poll as to whether they wanted Palace to stay up or go down this season, be careful what you wish for. There is no way he would have signed for them if they were in League 1.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Perhaps it is a case of abscence makes the heart grow bitterer, but I recall the hatred towards Palace definitely dropping off in the mid-80's, and here's an example.

In 1985/6 both teams go into Easter with an outside chance of promotion, the Albion 5th and Palace 6th in Division 2 (The Championship to you whipper-snappers). We're at Palace on Easter Saturday, so you would think it would be packed out with both sets of fans giving it large.

The crowd that day?

Which player in our team that day went on to play for Palace, and then came back to the Albion?

Yet there was no fuss, no hissy fits from fans, no Judas claims.

Has it been that the fact that we haven't played Palace much in the last 20 years created a myth that every match was open warfare, with Lacoste wearing scamps hitting each other over the head with broken bottles, Hove and Croydon looking like the set of Mad Max after the games, when the reality was, after both teams were relegated in the '80's, that it was a derby, but not the BIG match of the season that we now would have imagined it to be?

By the way, we lost 1-0.
Those were dark days for football and a recession to match so don't look at the crowds and base everything on that.Even the mighty leeds averaged 13k that season???

Maybe one day we will move away from the palace thing as football is changing and miles mean nout in rivalries these days.You have to say that many clubs with big local rivals tend to hate other clubs more.

I always looked at pompey as the big one as i wasn't around in the 70's to watch such games,you don't really need a fierce rival these days as you will always have loads of little rivalries.

Maybe its time to leave palace to charlton and move on:D

I still dislike palace though even though we,ve hardly played much:)

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Fair enough, I didn't think they had the resources to have signed him.

For everyone who voted 'Stay Up' in the poll as to whether they wanted Palace to stay up or go down this season, be careful what you wish for. There is no way he would have signed for them if they were in League 1.

Good point. I voted "Go Down" (fnarr, fnarr).

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I really think this crawley rivalry could be very special,they are 5/1 favs to go up again next season.Im sure many albion fans hate crawley:)

Out with the palace in with the pikey crawley lot:)

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
There is a rivalry between us and a lot of fans cannot wait for the games next season. Me included. But I totally agree with the comments about plastic prem fans and I have much more respect for supporters who follow their local team, Palace included. And whenever I've bumped into Palace fans on various away trips over the years, most of them have been decent people.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
And. I say once again you're all over the place. Is this thread about Murray being a good player or about the Palace v Brighton rivalry? You don't seem to be able to make your mind up on this and whether or not I want Murray to suffer an injury is irrelevant to either argument. Trying to bring match attendances from 30 years ago to back up either argument is also pointless.

Liverpool play Man U often as do Rangers v Celtic and many other derby matches too. I've already pointed out that Millwall and West Ham have played each other fewer times than us and Palace so I don't see how you can also state with certainty that the number of times we've played each other matters in a rivalry.

You're just not making any sense.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'm afraid I'm with you on this one.

The rivalry with Palace is fun, but my resentment towards Manchester United is nothing but pure unadulterated hate.

I wasn't around for the Palace v Brighton flare ups in the 70s but I have spent enough of my life being mocked by plastic Premiership fans for my unwavering support for my beloved local club. It takes a special kind of dickhead to support Manchester United. Palace fans certainly don't fit the same mould. You could never call a Palace supporter a glory hunter for a start
100% this to be honest.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Perhaps it is a case of abscence makes the heart grow bitterer, but I recall the hatred towards Palace definitely dropping off in the mid-80's, and here's an example.

In 1985/6 both teams go into Easter with an outside chance of promotion, the Albion 5th and Palace 6th in Division 2 (The Championship to you whipper-snappers). We're at Palace on Easter Saturday, so you would think it would be packed out with both sets of fans giving it large.

The crowd that day?

Which player in our team that day went on to play for Palace, and then came back to the Albion?

Yet there was no fuss, no hissy fits from fans, no Judas claims.

Has it been that the fact that we haven't played Palace much in the last 20 years created a myth that every match was open warfare, with Lacoste wearing scamps hitting each other over the head with broken bottles, Hove and Croydon looking like the set of Mad Max after the games, when the reality was, after both teams were relegated in the '80's, that it was a derby, but not the BIG match of the season that we now would have imagined it to be?

By the way, we lost 1-0.

I was at that game and we stood on the uncovered Holmesdale terrace behind the goal, i always thought that the game finished 2-0 but then again we had all had a lot to drink that day.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
And. I say once again you're all over the place. Is this thread about Murray being a good player or about the Palace v Brighton rivalry? You don't seem to be able to make your mind up on this and whether or not I want Murray to suffer an injury is irrelevant to either argument. Trying to bring match attendances from 30 years ago to back up either argument is also pointless.

Liverpool play Man U often as do Rangers v Celtic and many other derby matches too. I've already pointed out that Millwall and West Ham have played each other fewer times than us and Palace so I don't see how you can also state with certainty that the number of times we've played each other matters in a rivalry.

You're just not making any sense.

The issue I raised was that the rivalry subsided to a degree in the 80's, and the reason for this was because both sides were poor, especially the Albion, and there was little at stake apart from a few bragging rights. This was reflected in relatively poor attendances and players switching sides without any major criticism from the fanbase.

When we played Palace in 1981, for example, and we needed to win to have a chance of survival, there was a lot of trouble, and the crowd was nearly 19,000. It kicked off big style before and after the match, and the Albion nitwits were further stoked up to the extent that they were booing one of their own players who was making his debut.

It's the same here in Manchester, the derby here has for years been very low key, with United reserving all their venom for Leeds ( in the 80's and early 90's) and Liverpool (since United starting winning titles). It's only in the last two years that things have got spicy because of the Abu Dhabi millions. Why is that? It's because of fear, fear of City taking top dog status locally.

Rivalries can ebb and flow, that's all I am saying, and ours with Palace ebbed in the 80's.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
...but what the hell has that got to do with Murray going to Palace or him being a good player (which you've already asserted is the point of this thread)?

I also dipute your reading of the Liverpool v Man U rivalry but I think we'll just have to agree on that.

Edit - in fact, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this entire thread as I don't think I'm making any headway in trying to find out what the point of citing a Palace v Brighton attendance is in connection with quite a few people getting pissed off that a player of ours has moved to Palace.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
...but what the hell has that got to do with Murray going to Palace or him being a good player (which you've already asserted is the point of this thread)?

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the post you quoted, not the original one in the thread.

People should be pissed off with Murray going. Wishing him a career threatening injury is taking it too far IMO, I just hope he scores next to no goals.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
August 17th 1974 Brighton (Ian Mellor) 1 Palace 0 was the first taste of the rivalry to follow as a large number of Londoners on holiday in the town came to the game intent on siding with Palace and causing no end of Aggro. Next significant rise in hostilities and enhanced rivalry came in the 75/6 home evening game the night the 'seagulls' chant was born and Malcolm Allison in his fedora and sheepskin coat, walked round the perimiter track before kick off towards the North Stand indicating a 2-0 Palace win to come with his fingers and thumbs down to us..... Sammy Morgans two goals for the Albion put paid to that !! Brighton 2 Palace 0. Yes Pompey were our prior top rivals and we had some real hatred, League Cup home 1969 Brighton 1 Pompey 0 with skinheads everywhere , the away game in 72/3 stands out and also 75/6 Boxing day away with the fratton end invading the pitch prior to kick off to get at us, plus the home games of that period. Palace are and will always be our bitterest rivals stemming from those early 70,s encounters and also the Mullery promotion years. Just because we have not played them as many times as most traditional rivals in football have in recent times does not lower and should not deminish the rivalry for our new generation. Celtic, Rangers, Liverpool,Everton etc etc would not give up their rivalry if they did not meet as much , it is engrained and so it should be, in each Brighton fan. I really do not need to say anything to make sure this happens as Mr Glenn Murray has done it for me.......!!! Yeah like other BHA fans I have a dislike of Man U, Pompey, Southampton, MK .... ! Just like the play says ' Brighton till I die ' to me It will always also mean ' Hate Palace till I die' In of course my very humble opinion .

THIS !
I think we must be of a similar age Rocker 959 .

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
........ Those who truly (I mean seriously) hate Palace need to get out more.
Looks like I need to get out more, then.
Perhaps if you had been at those matches in the mid to late 70's you might feel more animosity towards the South London scum.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
My personal loathing is for Portsmouth, with the stupid bell, that tattooed idiot but most of all for the way the local plod kept us in after a 5-1 stuffing in 1984 for half an hour in the pouring rain, singing 'you're gonna get your f***ing heads kicked in' then hopped into their vans in their waterproofs leaving us to take a serious battering from the Pompey nutters.

Crouch End Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
The fact that they have taken the piss because we paid our debts by selling our ground and lived within our means, very much unlike them we are now in a position to mock them mercilessly. What goes around etc..

Sorry. can't let that go. You're joking right? Archer and the Belotti sold the Goldstone and shipped us to Gillingham to be financially prudent?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Every Palace fan I've ever bumped into during my life, several have become good friends but I've known many more through work, have all to a tee said BHA are their bitter rivals without any prompting from me. As soon as I mention I'm BHA, the shit starts flying my way and I take great pleasure throwing it back too!

El Pres, think you're alone on this if you think our rivalry is a) with anyone else b) think they're not looking forward to this match next season more than any other.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Sorry, I thought you were referring to the post you quoted, not the original one in the thread.

People should be pissed off with Murray going. Wishing him a career threatening injury is taking it too far IMO, I just hope he scores next to no goals.

If Murray had received a bad injury last season, I like most Brighton fans would have been absolutely gutted. If he gets one this season I wouldn`t care one way or another. I wouldn`t wish it on him but I wouldn`t lose any sleep over it either.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I will be honest if that northern **** breaks his leg in his first game for those idiots and never plays again then I will forgive him. I wish Murray nothing but the worst kind of luck. ****. As they say in the theatre BREAK a leg. But this time literally.

Sod the 80s when football generally was in decline its all about the now and right now he is a ****.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Every Palace fan I've ever bumped into during my life, several have become good friends but I've known many more through work, have all to a tee said BHA are their bitter rivals without any prompting from me. As soon as I mention I'm BHA, the shit starts flying my way and I take great pleasure throwing it back too!

El Pres, think you're alone on this if you think our rivalry is a) with anyone else b) think they're not looking forward to this match next season more than any other.

I'm with you on that, the two matches I want us to win above all others next season are against Palace.

But to me there's a difference between that and wanting someone physically injured. Perhaps I'm going soft in my old age?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here