Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

March 29th, 1986: The Palace Delusion

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
:facepalm:

Nice to see the penny has finally dropped. It's only taken umpteen people to tell you this (although Billy the Fish has put it most succinctly).

I think Billy has put it excellently. It's an irrational hatred, not based on logic, and analagous to religious and cultural extremism. It also ebbs and flows.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Perhaps it is a case of abscence makes the heart grow bitterer, but I recall the hatred towards Palace definitely dropping off in the mid-80's, and here's an example.

In 1985/6 both teams go into Easter with an outside chance of promotion, the Albion 5th and Palace 6th in Division 2 (The Championship to you whipper-snappers). We're at Palace on Easter Saturday, so you would think it would be packed out with both sets of fans giving it large.

The crowd that day?

Which player in our team that day went on to play for Palace, and then came back to the Albion?

Yet there was no fuss, no hissy fits from fans, no Judas claims.

Has it been that the fact that we haven't played Palace much in the last 20 years created a myth that every match was open warfare, with Lacoste wearing scamps hitting each other over the head with broken bottles, Hove and Croydon looking like the set of Mad Max after the games, when the reality was, after both teams were relegated in the '80's, that it was a derby, but not the BIG match of the season that we now would have imagined it to be?

By the way, we lost 1-0.

How very Mike Ward....

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Man U or Palarse

Both imo, Henry Houghton for ending Gerry Ryans career
Norman Whiteside for taking out Ramsey
Palace are ok,I have 4 mates who are non going Palace followers...yes they do come from East Croydon and they do support the REMF,BUT MATCH DAYS ARE DIFFERENT...IT'S A LOVE/HATE THING. Man U is disliked because of all the glory hunters..."Look WE won the league again"
and that miserable Scottish ....... Fergie

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here