Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

March 29th, 1986: The Palace Delusion

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010

What is the point you are trying to make? That because in the 80s the rivalry wasn't as strong and because Brighton fans didn't get particularly upset back then when a BHA player switched to Palace that somehow we are all over-reacting and we shouldn't hate Palace so much now? It seems that is your point to me.

If not, please explain.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If not, please explain.

Upset that he is signing for Palace, yup. I think he is a cracking player, and without him we would not have gone up.

Wishing that El Abd or Greer breaks his leg when we play them, nope.

Depends on your definition of hate, personally I hate the likes of Archer, Stanley, Bellotti and De Vicci. These people have tried to destroy the club, Murray, to my knowledge, hasn't.

Murray's doing what is right for himself financially, I'm pissed off that Palace have outbid everyone for his services, but don't hate the bloke for what he has done.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I don't hate Palace but I certainly despise their fans who have looked down their noses at us and then fail to see that had they lived within their means they'd have been along side us. I have to admit if it came to clubs I really dislike Palace come a long way behind the likes of Leeds and Cardiff. As it so happens last weekend I was marshalling a sponsored walk with over three thousand participants. I wore a Brighton shirt and spoke to quite a few Palace fans. Perfectly civil and none were selling lucky heather or pegs. Not many seemed too optimistic about the coming season though. To be fair the sooner Palace sort out the ground situation the better. The problem they have apart from the local Nimbys (who really have a lot less to get upset about than the residents of Falmer) they will also have to wait until Tottenham, West Ham and Newham Council have finished arguing over the Olympic White Elephant. If that ends up going to an enquiry it's going to be some years before anything happens. I've said for a long time that it makes perfect sense for Crystal Palace to actually be at Crystal Palace, they'll even have their name on the station !

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
There's one (maybe two) significant differences between us and Palace, we have never been in administration. Do you honestly think that Palace would have sustained their status had the actually lived within their means as we did ? It's neither here nor there as to what Goldberg (who really did make some huge blunders) and Jordon (quite highly regarded by many BHA fans) did. They spent money they didn't have and Palace (like several others) were allowed to stay in business by paying a small token amount back to their creditors. We have been lower than you because we paid what we could. I just can't see why Palace fans don't get that. Nobody blames Palace fans but the fact remains that you would be no better than us had you not been in administration twice. Now we are on a more even (make that better) situation we do enjoy taking the piss out of your lot.

Very much this. It's like having to listen to some boring suburban twat from Surrey drone on for years that he's got a bigger house, a faster car, a better looking girlfriend, and he goes on much better holidays, and then you discover one day that old Nigel from Surrey has done it all on homeowner loans and borrowed money, and has in fact been made personally bankrupt - twice.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Very much this. It's like having to listen to some boring suburban twat from Surrey drone on for years that he's got a bigger house, a faster car, a better looking girlfriend, and he goes on much better holidays, and then you discover one day that old Nigel from Surrey has done it all on homeowner loans and borrowed money, and has in fact been made personally bankrupt - twice.

How very well put ! :thumbsup:

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
August 17th 1974 Brighton (Ian Mellor) 1 Palace 0 was the first taste of the rivalry to follow as a large number of Londoners on holiday in the town came to the game intent on siding with Palace and causing no end of Aggro. Next significant rise in hostilities and enhanced rivalry came in the 75/6 home evening game the night the 'seagulls' chant was born and Malcolm Allison in his fedora and sheepskin coat, walked round the perimiter track before kick off towards the North Stand indicating a 2-0 Palace win to come with his fingers and thumbs down to us..... Sammy Morgans two goals for the Albion put paid to that !! Brighton 2 Palace 0. Yes Pompey were our prior top rivals and we had some real hatred, League Cup home 1969 Brighton 1 Pompey 0 with skinheads everywhere , the away game in 72/3 stands out and also 75/6 Boxing day away with the fratton end invading the pitch prior to kick off to get at us, plus the home games of that period. Palace are and will always be our bitterest rivals stemming from those early 70,s encounters and also the Mullery promotion years. Just because we have not played them as many times as most traditional rivals in football have in recent times does not lower and should not deminish the rivalry for our new generation. Celtic, Rangers, Liverpool,Everton etc etc would not give up their rivalry if they did not meet as much , it is engrained and so it should be, in each Brighton fan. I really do not need to say anything to make sure this happens as Mr Glenn Murray has done it for me.......!!! Yeah like other BHA fans I have a dislike of Man U, Pompey, Southampton, MK .... ! Just like the play says ' Brighton till I die ' to me It will always also mean ' Hate Palace till I die' In of course my very humble opinion .

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
So is the fact that I had a salad for lunch very much a fact but it's about as meaningless as the 'facts' that you've quoted to this particular argument. They have no relevance to this debate.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So is the fact that I had a salad for lunch very much a fact but it's about as meaningless as the 'facts' that you've quoted to this particular argument. They have no relevance to this debate.

I think they are because

1: It indicates that despite the rivalry, ultimately people couldn't be arsed to attend the match.
2: A player managed to play for both clubs (and indeed then return to the Albion) and no one to my knowledge was wishing that he broke his leg.
3: Steve Coppell, who managed Palace on four separate occasions no less, was being begged to stay by Albion fans when he left us for Reading, this was due to the relative success he had at the helm of the club. My argument is that if the 'hatred' between the clubs is as great as you say then this is unlikely to be the case.

I couldn't personally understand why so many Albion fans wanted Palace to stay up this year, just so we could play them next season. They are our rivals, and as such I want them to fail on the park, and therfore I was hoping they would be relegated.

I just think there is a difference between rivalry and hatred, that's all.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
You think Murray is a good player and this is apparently the point of your thread ( and I doubt many would dispute he is a good player) and to back up your argument you quote a Brighton v Palace attendance from the 80s and mention O'Reilly.

If the object of the game was weak tenuous connections then you'd win hands down. Unfortunately on this matter you are all over the place. You've done nothing to convince me that I'm wrong in thinking you're trying to downplay the Albion v Palace rivalry.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I'm not belittling anyone.

I know a lot of fans are pissed off with Murray, yet they weren't pissed off with Gary O'Reilly or Gary Williams in the 80's to the same degree. This was borne out by O'Reilly coming back to the Albion after Palace released him.

The difference is that Murray signed on a Bosman free, if Palarse had paid a transfer fee for him or we'd released him I think it would have annoyed people less. Well it would have me anyway.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You've done nothing to convince me that I'm wrong in thinking you're trying to downplay the Albion v Palace rivalry.

If you look at the start of the thread I said that abscence makes the heart grow more bitter.

When both Palace and ourselves were pretty shit in the mid-late 80's the rivalry was less intense than when we were both aiming for promotion in the late 70's. This is of course my opinion, and I then tried to back it up with some statistics and facts.

It is the VERY fact that we've hardly played them for 20 years that has intenstified the rivalry, and we have a generation of fans 'hating' Palace, but probably not sure why, other than based on the songs we sing at matches. If we had both been vying for 16th in the Championship for the last ten seasons I suspect that some of the heat would have disappeared. But it's only an opinion.

Out of interest, do you wish that Murray suffers a career finishing injury in his first match for Palace (or against us) next season?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here