Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

March 29th, 1986: The Palace Delusion

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Perhaps it is a case of abscence makes the heart grow bitterer, but I recall the hatred towards Palace definitely dropping off in the mid-80's, and here's an example.

In 1985/6 both teams go into Easter with an outside chance of promotion, the Albion 5th and Palace 6th in Division 2 (The Championship to you whipper-snappers). We're at Palace on Easter Saturday, so you would think it would be packed out with both sets of fans giving it large.

The crowd that day?

Which player in our team that day went on to play for Palace, and then came back to the Albion?

Yet there was no fuss, no hissy fits from fans, no Judas claims.

Has it been that the fact that we haven't played Palace much in the last 20 years created a myth that every match was open warfare, with Lacoste wearing scamps hitting each other over the head with broken bottles, Hove and Croydon looking like the set of Mad Max after the games, when the reality was, after both teams were relegated in the '80's, that it was a derby, but not the BIG match of the season that we now would have imagined it to be?

By the way, we lost 1-0.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Not so sure that Brighton fans hate Palace, how can you hate something that makes you laugh so much ?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I can never understand the rabid hysteria that surrounds our 'rivalry' with Palace. For old bastards like me, the nonsense in the 70s was too long ago for it to matter anymore and for the younger people, how we can even HAVE a rivalry with a team we have played FOUR times (in the league) in the last 22 YEARS

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It was an electric atmosphere every time I've been there. I'm only 23 so it's only been a handful of times unfortunately but I will always regard them as bitter rivals.

Interesting comment about the warfare. If our rivalry doesn't spill over into violence then I'd be very happy. The games moved on since then. The lack of physical violence however will hopefully not detract from an otherwise total bitter hostility.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I have to say, and it will upset some of the die-hard fans on here, that I hate Manchester United more than I do Palarse.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Perhaps it is a case of abscence makes the heart grow bitterer, but I recall the hatred towards Palace definitely dropping off in the mid-80's, and here's an example.

In 1985/6 both teams go into Easter with an outside chance of promotion, the Albion 5th and Palace 6th in Division 2 (The Championship to you whipper-snappers). We're at Palace on Easter Saturday, so you would think it would be packed out with both sets of fans giving it large.

The crowd that day?

And Palace's average crowd that season...?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I can never understand the rabid hysteria that surrounds our 'rivalry' with Palace. For old bastards like me, the nonsense in the 70s was too long ago for it to matter anymore and for the younger people, how we can even HAVE a rivalry with a team we have played FOUR times (in the league) in the last 22 YEARS

But that is the absolute BEAUTY of the rivalry. Lack of familarity has bread even further contempt. The fact this rivalry seems so incomprehensible from the outside makes it ever the more Delicious in my opinion. It is a testament to the fans of both clubs that we have kept this going despite our infrequent meetings. I can't wait for the games next season and with the added touch of Judas, they have become ever more SPICY.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
So what? It's clear the rivalry is there now from both sides and clear that a lot of Brighton fans are pissed off with Murray. You can keep writing post after post trying to belittle fans who feel that way but it won't change the way we feel.

It's time you got off your high horse, to be honest. It seems that if ever there's a thread where you can take some contrary view then you do so.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So what? It's clear the rivalry is there now from both sides and clear that a lot of Brighton fans are pissed off with Murray. You can keep writing post after post trying to belittle fans who feel that way but it won't change the way we feel.

It's time you got off your high horse, to be honest. It seems that if ever there's a thread where you can take some contrary view then you do so.

I'm not belittling anyone.

I know a lot of fans are pissed off with Murray, yet they weren't pissed off with Gary O'Reilly or Gary Williams in the 80's to the same degree. This was borne out by O'Reilly coming back to the Albion after Palace released him.

Let's face it, we forgave Steve Coppell quickly enough when he took over and started delivering results, if the hatred of all things Palace is as true as some claim, there is no way that would have happened.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I have to say, and it will upset some of the die-hard fans on here, that I hate Manchester United more than I do Palarse.

Why? Rooney aside Utd aren't even that objectionable anymore. If Barca start diving all over the place on saturday I might (and I mean MIGHT) even consider not being upset if they win the champions league final. Surely teams like Chelsea and City are far more loathsome in my opinion. What relevance do you Utd have to us?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Why? Rooney aside Utd aren't even that objectionable anymore. If Barca start diving all over the place on saturday I might (and I mean MIGHT) even consider not being upset if they win the champions league final. Surely teams like Chelsea and City are far more loathsome in my opinion. What relevance do you Utd have to us?

'83.

Taking out Ramsey I think.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I regard Palace as a sort of pantomime villain, you boo and hiss them, but ultimately they are harmless. Put it this way I have more respect for CP supporter than a big teams fan, following a little non-entity club like theirs takes a bit of doing, especially when you consider that they are surrounded by big clubs like Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Orient and Brentford.

:lolol:

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea

I'm afraid I'm with you on this one.

The rivalry with Palace is fun, but my resentment towards Manchester United is nothing but pure unadulterated hate.

I wasn't around for the Palace v Brighton flare ups in the 70s but I have spent enough of my life being mocked by plastic Premiership fans for my unwavering support for my beloved local club. It takes a special kind of dickhead to support Manchester United. Palace fans certainly don't fit the same mould. You could never call a Palace supporter a glory hunter for a start

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I regard Palace as a sort of pantomime villain, you boo and hiss them, but ultimately they are harmless. Put it this way I have more respect for CP supporter than a big teams fan, following a little non-entity club like theirs takes a bit of doing, especially when you consider that they are surrounded by big clubs like Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Orient and Brentford.

:lolol:

Tend to go along with that. There's no question in my mind that we are better now in every way than them. If you look at the three clubs who finished below them in 2009-2010 we took six points off two of them and three off the other. That Palace undoubtedly had a worse team last season convinces me that we will finish above them easily. The fact that they have taken the piss because we paid our debts by selling our ground and lived within our means, very much unlike them we are now in a position to mock them mercilessly. What goes around etc..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here