Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Manchester stabbings...........

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Having lived in Manchester for 20 years and visited many cities throughout the uk, I can say that it is little different to any of the major cities in the country. Some nice areas and some not so good. Unfortunately it has been the site of what now appears to be two terrorist related incidents in the past three years. Thankfully it appears that there were no fatalities this time.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Before I pull out the Reeves and Mortimer handbags, perhaps I should point out that I made no reference to stabbings whatsoever.

I just don't like Manchester city centre as it seems to be full of pricks and I don't enjoy the general feel of it. An observation, and I did say it might "just be me".

Calm down dear.

Can’t beat a good generalisation.....

See no reference to the city centre in your last post - just the place as a whole. At least you’ve now narrowed it down to the “centre” of the city “seeming” to be full of pricks.

My daughter goes to university there. I’ll let her know what you think the next time you pass her on Deansgate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Can’t beat a good generalisation.....

See no reference to the city centre in your last post - just the place as a whole. At least you’ve now narrowed it down to the “centre” of the city “seeming” to be full of pricks.

My daughter goes to university there. I’ll let her know what you think the next time you pass her on Deansgate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Daughter was an undergrad there; just started back as a postgrad. If I have to do that bloody drive one more time! :wink:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Has mental health come into it? might it not have been terrorist-related?

Are the two not compatible? This s apparently being treated as a terrorist incident. We don't know what sort of terrorism is involved, of course, but if anybody thinks rushing into a busy shopping centre in Manchester and stabbing random passers by in the name of their god/religion/cause is a perfectly sane and reasonable thing to do, they are obviously misfiring badly on the reasoning and rationality front.
Mentally unbalanced - and dangerously so. Can't just be allowed to get away with it because they have 'difficulties' - ultimately the victims who were just peacefully going about their business in a shopping centre are more worthy of compassion.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It is a sweeping comment, but I really don't like Manchester and it does have a "nasty" vibe in the centre. Just me maybe. I go quite often for work and I wouldn't live there if you paid me.

Same. Have to go at least once a week for work and don't find it pleasant any time of day or night. Leeds and Sheffield feel much safer (at least the city centres).

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Most city centres are starting to feel like that

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

You obviously weren't around in the 70s/80s (and most of the 90s in places like Manchester). City centres now are amillion times better than those days - in terms of safety and appearance. Places like Manchester were ghost towns - dangerous as f*** in the city centre

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
You obviously weren't around in the 70s/80s (and most of the 90s in places like Manchester). City centres now are amillion times better than those days - in terms of safety and appearance. Places like Manchester were ghost towns - dangerous as f*** in the city centre

Thankfully all peaceful now .

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It is incredible the changes and money put into the centre of Manchester in the last ten or so years. Nothing to do with the BBC moving there of course with all the new buildings. :wink:

I must admit I found the back streets from just off the centre a bit dangerous with the music and fake designer clothes shops a time to keep my head down but travel 30 miles west and we are talking some very depraved areas......."Calm down, eh".......:)

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Same. Have to go at least once a week for work and don't find it pleasant any time of day or night. Leeds and Sheffield feel much safer (at least the city centres).

I'm on yours and LLcoolJ's boat.

Manchester city centre doesn't have a nice feel at all. I'm gonna sound harsh but it's a complete dive. I was surprised how Northern quarter and Deansgate were meant to be the 'nice ' parts of town but yet were only tiny little areas with not much to do there anyway. During the summer there's no where to sit and have a picnic or just lie down on your lunch break and relax unless you find concrete slabs comfortable.
Thanks to living in ashton under-lyne for a few years, it really helped my City centre experience otherwise, I would never have wanted to visit the place.

Brighton City Centre offers more in terms of variety, feels friendlier/happier and is much more pleasing on the eye especially if you're not looking to spend a day in a shopping mall.

To me, their city centre feels like a massive Shopping mall with a massive shopping mall inside of it. Grim to put it short.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
............and that's why I didn't.............:shrug:

Anyway..............

A 41-year-old black male from the Manchester area was initially held by police on suspicion of serious assault but he was later arrested on suspicion of the commission, preparation and instigation of an act of terrorism, Assistant Chief Constable Russ Jackson.

He didn’t look black in the pics?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Having lived in both cities I reassure anyone with family there that are both incredibly safe. Much safer than they used to be.

After nearly been blown to pieces by the IRA in Warrington the only things I am in fear of in London is cyclists, sniffer dogs at stations and people collecting for charity on the pavement.

I had a really nasty experience with a market research person in Westfield John Lewis last week and I only walk through there to get to the station.

Remain vigilant and sleep well.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He didn’t look black in the pics?