Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Manacled together for 20 years...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
To celebrate our 20th year of being manacled together, the present Mrs T and I are off to Venice for a few days.

We've booked flights, a water taxi and a hotel. It says it looks over the Piazza San Marco, but as we both like Italian food, we thought that would probably be OK.

I've started doing the usual web research and will, no doubt, go out and buy a guide book or two.

But I just wondered if anyone on NSC had been, and if they have any suggestions for things we must see / avoid, places to eat etc...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Titanic said:
To celebrate our 20th year of being manacled together, the present Mrs T and I are off to Venice for a few days.

We've booked flights, a water taxi and a hotel. It says it looks over the Piazza San Marco, but as we both like Italian food, we thought that would probably be OK.

I've started doing the usual web research and will, no doubt, go out and buy a guide book or two.

But I just wondered if anyone on NSC had been, and if they have any suggestions for things we must see / avoid, places to eat etc...

I'm sure DTG can give you loads of advice, congratulations and have a great time.

Spunk Bubble

Feb 21, 2007
It is a lovely place to visit. However, my advice would be to avoid the back streets as they are a bit on the smelly side :albion1:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Try Dave The Gaffer I am certain he has been to Venice :lolol: :lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Re: Re: Manacled together for 20 years...

bhaexpress said:
I'm sure DTG can give you loads of advice, congratulations and have a great time.

Bugger :angry: :angry:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Avoid eating in St Peters Sq, its shit and WELL overpriced.

SEVEN euro's for a Peroni just to sit and watch some sub standard string Quartet, however if you want to impress the Missus take her to Harry's bar for a bellini, or two.

If the weather is good take a trip out to Lido, there is a great beach there full of HOTTIES, but a carnet of riverbus tickets when you get to the Airport, I think its 22euro for 3/4 days but its well worth it.

Oh, and haggle if you are going on a gondola, NEVER accpt the first price.

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Rougvie said:
Avoid eating in St Peters Sq, its shit and WELL overpriced.

SEVEN euro's for a Peroni just to sit and watch some sub standard string Quartet, however if you want to impress the Missus take her to Harry's bar for a bellini, or two.

If the weather is good take a trip out to Lido, there is a great beach there full of HOTTIES, but a carnet of riverbus tickets when you get to the Airport, I think its 22euro for 3/4 days but its well worth it.

Oh, and haggle if you are going on a gondola, NEVER accpt the first price.

Sounds like great advice, thanks Rouggers.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
I took my then girlfriend there in 1986. Did the usual water taxi, nice hotel, Piazza San Marco type of things, plus plenty of shagging. However, she dumped me soon after for another Albion fan.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
East Staffs Gull said:
I took my then girlfriend there in 1986. Did the usual water taxi, nice hotel, Piazza San Marco type of things, plus plenty of shagging. However, she dumped me soon after for another Albion fan.

Not sure if it's OK to :lolol: about this or not ?

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Funnily enough I got engaged there first time round, it wasn't planned or anything just happened. I was working in Treviso at the time which is only 10 miles or so away.

Got engaged in the July, we had split up by September.

Hmmmmmm

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Blimey, the omens are not looking too good for this trip. Still I suppose 20 years is a pretty good effort... I would have got less for murdering her :lolol:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Take a water taxi from the airport and not the water bus. Make sure the luggage has wheels(!)

We had dinner in the Hotel Cipriani overlooking the bay with St Peters Square in the background. Lovely views of the sunset. Very expensive but exclusive.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Titanic said:
Blimey, the omens are not looking too good for this trip. Still I suppose 20 years is a pretty good effort... I would have got less for murdering her :lolol:

well if she finds out that you consider yourself "manacled" then I'd say your omens not looking good would be about right! :blush:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Downloaded Penguin said:
We had dinner in the Hotel Cipriani overlooking the bay with St Peters Square in the background. Lovely views of the sunset. Very expensive but exclusive.

They tell everyone its exclusive !

When I worked out there I ate there 3 times and never had a proble getting a table, its mostly full of Yank tourists with Baseball caps on (which thankfully they are normally asked to remove)

If you lay off the wine, its no more expensive than an slightly above average average London resturant

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
All right I will bite

Dont take a water taxi...they are fecking expensive.

As you come into the concourse of the airport,turn left follow signs to Busses. go to the ticket office and buy a 3 day pass for all the public transport its 25odd euro's ( x things by 7 to get approximate ex rate - ie 30 euro's = £21 squids)

Get number 1 or 5 bus to Piazza Roma ( central) get a vaparetto from there up or down the grand canal. Number 1 is main bus and goes all over the place.

get a map from your hotel and it will tell you what transport to get.

OR

Go out of airport to vaparetto terminus....get one to Merano and then down to (???) Nova( same boat)......this is Northish of St Marks Square and central to things.

Gondola's will cost you between 80 and 120 euro's - get a group of you together...its cheaper and do it at night!

Restaurants.

Rialto bridge...on right looking towards Lido....two restaurants on river side...first one expensive BUT have the starter of fish platter,,,,ask for house white...have the sea bass. You will not be dissapointed.

Dont drink in St marks square.....4.80 Euro's just to sit down....cofee 5 euro's. Go at night and wander between the three tents of musicians...very romantic

Finally, Venice is incredibly safe and you can wander around at 12 oclock at night without any hassle at all!

BTW unless you are a buff, dont bother with art galleries, just go in some of the churches...the art on the walls and ceilings are breathtaking.

Oh and harry's bar is full of miserable moaning americans!!!

have a nice time. Hope you dont get the same shit on here as I did!

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
i went to venice once and all the fuckin roads were flooded :angry:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Dave the Gaffer said:
All right I will bite

As you come into the concourse of the airport,turn left follow signs to Busses. go to the ticket office and buy a 3 day pass for all the public transport its 25odd euro's ( x things by 7 to get approximate ex rate - ie 30 euro's = £21 squids)

Get number 1 or 5 bus to Piazza Roma ( central) get a vaparetto from there up or down the grand canal. Number 1 is main bus and goes all over the place.

OR

Go out of airport to vaparetto terminus....get one to Merano and then down to (???) Nova( same boat)......this is Northish of St Marks Square and central to things.

Gondola's will cost you between 80 and 120 euro's - get a group of you together...its cheaper and do it at night!

Restaurants.

Rialto bridge...on right looking towards Lido....two restaurants on river side...first one expensive BUT have the starter of fish platter,,,,ask for house white...have the sea bass. You will not be dissapointed.

Dont drink in St marks square.....4.80 Euro's just to sit down....cofee 5 euro's. Go at night and wander between the three tents of musicians...very romantic

Finally, Venice is incredibly safe and you can wander around at 12 oclock at night without any hassle at all!

BTW unless you are a buff, dont bother with art galleries, just go in some of the churches...the art on the walls and ceilings are breathtaking.

What he said, but I manged to condense it RIGHT down ;)

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Dave the Gaffer said:
All right I will bite

OR

Restaurants.

Thanks Dave... sound advice I am sure. Really looking forward to it. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here