Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Magnificent Oatway

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have to say how much Charlie Oatway has improved since McGhee joined. His tackling is hard , his passing has improved and he as much as anyone is to thank for getting to div 1. Only second behind Cullip yesterday.

Will McGhee keep him. For loyalty and improvement. Why not ?.

I hope not. Great servant, superb at community based roles etc, but does anyone remember how out of place he looked in Div 1 last time round. We can only afford to play one of him or Chippy in that battling midfiled role next year, and Chippy is the model of consistency.

We are crying out for a creative/attcking midfielder for next season. Could Reid do that job? I thnk it is too early to say.

Exciting times ahead, no doubt.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Agreed! I was impressed with him yesterday.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I would like him in the squad with some involvement from the bench during games. He may continue to improve under McGhee and deserves a second shot at div 1.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Would you really get rid of anyone? The squad is thin enough as it is, and on the money we can afford I'd rather have Charlie as a squad player than almost anyone. Guaranteed maximum effort.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I thought Reid made a difference yesterday as soon as he came on. He brought the wide players into the game and opened up play with quick free kicks and balls to the feet of the strikers.

Charlie played well yesterday but I honestly think that should be his last game for the club.

He's been inadequate most of this season and will, quite frankly, get RAPED in Division One.

Loyal servant and all of that stuff (and especially influencial in the dressing room), but the time has definitely come for him to move on.

As for the midfield, I'd be happy with Reid and Carpenter in the middle with a couple of decent wingers either side.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Oatway has been a faithful servant to the club these past four years but last season showed that he was not a Div I player. I can see him having an occasional role as a disrupter/man marker but we desperately need a creative player alongside Chippy. Reid may be the guy - the jury is out but his case wasn't helped by being playerd out of position wide against Swindon, where he dissappeared almost completely.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I hope Oatway stays on as a squad player. He did his job superbly. If he hadn't, Doherty would have run the show.

Charlie had a great game yesterday, but if we are to move forward as a club we need more creativity in the midfield. I thought we were a different proposition when Reid came on (in the centre), and when Piercy was introduced I wondered if we were taking a sneak peak at the future.

I do not think we should discard Charlie, but I can only see him being a squad player next season. I would think that the entire midfield should be worried about their places for next season. The defence is superb, and the forwards are good it's the midfield we need to beef up, if we do that we'll be fine next season.

It will possibly be the hardest Div 1 in recent years next season, and sentiment will have to go by the wayside if we are to succeed.

albionman

May 22, 2004
Sayers Common
I like the bloke. He's a trier and seems a genuine guy. I was impressed to read about him acknowleding his literacy difficulties and then trying to do something about it.

He may not be able to 'cut it' in Div 1 but I really hope there is a place for him at the club. He's genuine and will give everything he has. In my book, that is always worth having.

Charlie was outstanding yesterday and oustanding in our best performance of the season against Plymouth at the Withdean. That alone says to me he is worth continuing with. Reid was a revelation when he came but you have to ask the question how much of that was due to Brizzle's heads dropping after banging them all afternoon against the Oatway/Cullip/Butters brick wall.

This call for a big squad overhaul is wishful thinking. Most of the current squad are on contracts and the best we can hope for is a small number of key signings to increase the competition for places.

I would say our No1 priority is to get another striker. It was great news too to hear that Leon wants an extended contract. :clap: :clap:

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Charlie Oatway. Not necessarily as a fixture every week but definetely a useful squad member.

I love the guy for his commitment alone.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Our no. 1 priority has to be to strengthen the central midfield...

Chippy is good enough, Charlie isn't... Paul R maybe, but we need to bear in mind that he wasn't making Bradford's first team, and they got relegated...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
are we talking bout the same oatway that created most of swindons chances in the away league and gave the ball away numorous times in home league? he is not quick enough at releasing ball and puts players under pressure with his passing.

fair play he did well yesterday but he is no way good enough

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
charlie is one of the main reasons we have that fantastic team spirit and towards the end of that last div 1 excursion he actully started to look a bit more at home but def no div 1 player just a squad player and a big part to play in keeping spirits up in the dressing room

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
We need Reid, Oatway and Chippy. One will always be on the bench but useful for subs and injuries.

Charlie has been ok at div 1 standard for all of you who say he won't cut it at that level. He is a man marker not a creative midfielder.
He sat on Merson when we played Pompey and kept him out of the game completely. That is an important role in a game.
It doesn't get noticed and it doesn't get plaudits but it works.
He did the same to Igoe when we played Swindon.

I agree that Charlie is part of the team spirit at this club and if (a very big IF) Danny is going then that will be vital.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Charlie deserves a chance next year certainly a useful squad member...Reidy looked good and hoope he sustains it next yr which i think he is capable of...but im sure there will be a few availaible shortly... june 30 is contract up time for a lot of players ...Jason Mcateer is available :lolol:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
theres more chance of Reid moving on than Charlie in my opinion.
We have to get another central midfield player in so i would imagine one of Oatway and Reid will move on, and my money is on Reid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here