Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MacBook/iMac query

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
My son wants to replace his laptop with a MacBook or iMac.

He wants to spend around £150 - £200 and needs something that will enable him to access the internet for homework.

Can anyone give any help as to what sort of machine he will be able to get for that sort of money? What should he be looking for in terms of hard drive capacity, processor speed etc.

Thanks in advance.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You will definitely not find anything "new" by Apple for that sort of budget. Double it, and then add a couple more £100 to it. Then you might be close.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
for that kind of money you might be able to buy him a shuffle.

seriously though. apple dont do cheap computers, you wont find anything close to 150-200 that your son will want, unless its a 5 year old laptop that will be AWFUL

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
My son wants to replace his laptop with a MacBook or iMac.

He wants to spend around £150 - £200 and needs something that will enable him to access the internet for homework.

For that kind of money, you might just get a second hand macbook from Cex on Western Rd... You'll be looking at at least £500 for a new one.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Why does he need to replace the laptop - is it broken? If it's just under-powered, some more RAM might do the trick.

As others have pointed out, you'll struggle even to get a decent second-hand Mac for that sort of money - but there are plenty of decent laptops around for that sort of dosh.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
My flatmate sold a 5 year old broken mackbook pro for £200 the other day granted for parts but madness.

I have a 3 year old MacBook (summer 07) that I'll look to sell next month, has usual scratches and clicks and bits of broken off plastic- works perfectly fine otherwise but probably not something your son would want!?

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Just in case this helps: my Macbook is over 4 years old, and by occasionally upgrading the software (including Mac OSX operating system and, for work, the Office:Mac software), it still works a treat and is totally up-to-date. I'd much rather have it than a spanking-new mid-range PC/laptop.

There must be plenty of people with the same sort of setup who decide to upgrade (maybe because a new Macbook will look more impressive to clients, etc), so there must be a second-hand market. I just don't know how you access that market, I'm afraid.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
£200 will buy you a budget netbook on offer at Tescos or something 2nd hand probably no different to what you have. just give the existing one a tidy/reinstall, moer memory if needed (goto crucial.co.uk to find memory for the model.)

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Apologies I should have clarified that - he is looking at second hand.

Has seen a few Macbooks and iMacs on Ebay. He has had problems with his laptop (Acer) and wants to try going down the Apple route as he has heard that they are generally more reliable/secure.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
:bounce:

Anyone got any ideas? Up to £200, what can I get 2nd hand, iMac/Macbook?

Zamora For England

Sep 27, 2006
Hurstpierpoint
:bounce:

Anyone got any ideas? Up to £200, what can I get 2nd hand, iMac/Macbook?

Apple1.jpg

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Hardware reliability wise, the low end Apple laptop (Macbook) is going to be on a par or worse than anything Acer have made; and with the inherent wear on a second hand one, he's on a hiding to nothing.

Add £100 to it and get a new standard laptop with a warranty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here