Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mac or Laptop

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I need a new computer and wish to use it for NSC and photography.

So far I have looked at a Apple Laptop Pro but became baffled re PC laptops. I have also never used a MAC but it seemed really easy in the shop.

Your comments please.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
For ease of use, a MAC.

I was a long time Windows user.

I bought an IMac 27inch back in November and love it. Can also run Windows on a seperate partition. Best of both worlds!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I have a MacBook Pro and love it to pieces , if that sways your decision either way before the bitchfest that will be Mac Haters vs Windows Haters takes place.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
pray why?

They are a bit easier to use for photography. Having said that if you consider yourself computer literate they are not worth the extra cost. Windows 7 is pretty clever and I would dispute that a Mac is better especially given not only the cost but also the fact a Mac is limited as regards software.

For a beginner a Mac is better but for somebody with reasonable computer experience it's hard to justify the cost.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
An iMac plus Photoshop is fantastic for photography. They also look good too, I know geeks are not bothered about that, but to me it's a bit like saying who would you rather f***, Kelly Brook or Anne Widdicombe, on the grounds that both of them possess FLAPS.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
An iMac plus Photoshop is fantastic for photography. They also look good too, I know geeks are not bothered about that, but to me it's a bit like saying who would you rather f***, Kelly Brook or Anne Widdicombe, on the grounds that both of them possess FLAPS.

Of course your Mac is a dirty Mac.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
I have a lovely little windows netbook that can dual boot to osx, so you can get a 'fake' mac for cheap if you can be bothered to make the effort. Considering the price gap, I would always go for windows to be honest, but macs are lovely kit.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I have a lovely little windows netbook that can dual boot to osx, so you can get a 'fake' mac for cheap if you can be bothered to make the effort. Considering the price gap, I would always go for windows to be honest, but macs are lovely kit.

Macs are nice bits of kit, however if they go wrong they are much harder to fix than a PC.

Peterrhodes

Aug 18, 2009
London
mac is better

mac is better, longer lasting, wont crash as much, wont freeze as much and wont slow down in months of use like all pcs do! Also for video, photos, music and art pcs got nothing on it. As for dell (youd get a better computer from a skip).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They are a bit easier to use for photography

but why? Photoshop is available and the same on PC. is there some other easier/cheaper software exclusive to Mac?

mac is better, longer lasting, wont crash as much, wont freeze as much and wont slow down in months of use like all pcs do!

now theres some good reasons for the Mac. though i still like to know why better at photography, video, music. all the software i know of is available for both platforms.

it really comes down to fanboism or El Pres's FLAPs comparison :lolol:

im not knocking, just point out to the dover that he needs to cut through all that to get the answer. Theres a lot of badge going on with Apple, and a fair premium for that badge. they are well built, but then so are some of the laptops (Toshiba and IBM usually get rated highly).

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
mac is better, longer lasting, wont crash as much, wont freeze as much and wont slow down in months of use like all pcs do! Also for video, photos, music and art pcs got nothing on it. As for dell (youd get a better computer from a skip).

Not true anymore, simply a myth now. Calling Dells rubbish is stupid, why else would they be the biggest sellers world wide ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The Mac has a simpler interface for non tech users although Windows 7 is virtually as good and the whole package is a lot cheaper. Mac users still think that PCs use Windows 3.11. Believe me anybody who thinks that Macs are more reliable than PCs is deluded, I have to work with both and it's only Mac users who think their machines are better. If you want a fashion statement maybe. It's worth noting that Macs are always behind PCs for new versions of software and with Adobe products of which Photoshop is one it will probably get worse as Steve Jobs has been openly critical of Adobe Flash.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I use a mac at home. At work they have pcs. I use iphoto for organising photos at home. Does anyone know what equivalent software I could use for sorting photos at work? Thanks for any good suggestions.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I use a mac at home. At work they have pcs. I use iphoto for organising photos at home. Does anyone know what equivalent software I could use for sorting photos at work? Thanks for any good suggestions.

Photoshop ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here