Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mac for Mackail

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Based on last season and age, I can't see how we could ask for any cash as well as McCormack. However I would rather we stuck with CMS than use him in a swap deal for anyone.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
We will regret getting rid of Cms, he will go somewhere with a decent midfield and fire in shit loads of goals, I want him to stay, but Mac would be a cushy addition.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A straight swap would be fair, why don't you lot just admit you paid well over the odds for CMS
Because I'm not sure we did. No one suggested he was worth less when we bought him and there are reports we had decent offers for him in January, and there may be interest this summer too. Obviously you want to think he's worth less than we paid, because that's the sort of small victory you've been reduced to.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Because I'm not sure we did. No one suggested he was worth less when we bought him and there are reports we had decent offers for him in January, and there may be interest this summer too. Obviously you want to think he's worth less than we paid, because that's the sort of small victory you've been reduced to.

I think we did, and many others on here at the time were sceptical about the fee. When you consider Brett Pittman cost £1m, and he was far, far younger and has a better record than CMS in the championship, Mccormack cost Leeds 350k and the current fee talked about to Palace was £1m ish (after scoring 17 goals last season). Adam Le fondre cost Reading 350k, Simon Cox, Charlie Austin, and so on, all were younger and cost FAR more than CMS. CMS had a season in the Championship before we signed him, and didn't impress. Not saying he's a bad player, but I think we over paid.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
If he came to Brighton instead of the nigels, their McCormack thread, which has gone on for weeks on their board, would be the funniest thread of the decade.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Releasing CMS would represent a massive failure for Poyet.

Either Poyet paid £3m for a player who did not have the skills and ability that he had believed he did have OR
Poyer failed to devise a system/team that linked effectively with his most expensive signing

Personally, if we're strengthening our midfield I'd like to see CMS given more time. Early in the season he scored some well-taken goals and seemed to falter once his confidence went low due to utter lack of service - at this point, his touch really deserted him compounding the problem.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this but I genuinely believe Barnes and Hoskins have what it takes to compete for the CMS role. I think we need someone completely different to all three. Who that is? No idea...
Marvin Emnes is what we need.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Hang on a minute.Surely this is a non story, I thought McCormack was mates with Freedman and it was as good as a done deal he was off to Palace..pmsl...told you they were skint,if they are taking £250 k for Ambrose then they aint signing anyone for over a quid lol.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Releasing CMS would represent a massive failure for Poyet.

Either Poyet paid £3m for a player who did not have the skills and ability that he had believed he did have OR
Poyer failed to devise a system/team that linked effectively with his most expensive signing

Personally, if we're strengthening our midfield I'd like to see CMS given more time. Early in the season he scored some well-taken goals and seemed to falter once his confidence went low due to utter lack of service - at this point, his touch really deserted him compounding the problem.

Agree with all of this

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
How many games did CMS and Vicente start together last season? Can't be that many. I honestly believe a creative midfield is the key to CMS more than a target man alongside. It would be a huge error to offload now (imo) especially as it's not as though there is no resale value in him even if it didn't work out between now and January. I think he'll come good (or even better) and hope he is given the opportunity.

Skills

Aug 4, 2008
Brighton
McCormack is 3 years younger than CMS. Swap + £800k works for me. We can Barnes/Hoskins playing off him or if he plays alone up top then the wingers can get close at times playing 4-3-3 (4-5-1 defending)

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I think the fact that we should be stronger in defense will actually help CMS. Means we can be a bit more offensive from midfield thus creating chances for him... hopefully.

Completely agree with this. Also the fact that our new fullbacks are a whole step up... For me, Calde and Painter made the difference for our promotion from League One; defensively, offensively but also leading the 'attack and defend as a team'. I'm hoping for the same this time round..

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I don't see the sense in this deal at all, apart from early last season McCormack has a shocking strike record for both Cardiff and Leeds... the only thing going for McCormack is he is younger, and therefore potentially can improve more, but at this stage I would be keeping CMS and giving him a chance for this season.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I'd take somewhere around McCormack + 500k. The only thing which puts me off is McCormack is a bit of a twat by all accounts. Can't see it happening though.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How many games did CMS and Vicente start together last season? Can't be that many. I honestly believe a creative midfield is the key to CMS more than a target man alongside. It would be a huge error to offload now (imo) especially as it's not as though there is no resale value in him even if it didn't work out between now and January. I think he'll come good (or even better) and hope he is given the opportunity.
According to my records

Started 7 games together.
Vicente came on as a sub in 6 games that CMS started.
CMS came on as a sub in 3 games that vicente started
Both were used as subs in 2 games

In total, they played about 880mins together.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
warnock knows a player to get his teams out of this division So i can seewhy he wants cms we should keep him

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Acker. Would love to see CMS given a run of games with our best creative players behind and seven in total is not sufficient to judge. Only problem - what do you do with Barnes? He doesn't deserve to be omitted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here