Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LuaLua's style

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Is anyone else perplexed by Kazenga's playing style these days? I would love someone to shed some light on it for me.

In our League One days when we had him on loan he used to absolutely BURN players. He would knock it past a player and NOBODY was going to catch him.

His style in the Championship appears very different. He likes the ball into his feet and edges himself sideways very gently before either cutting in or going on the outside of the defender and instead looking to beat the defender over a few yards rather than over distance.

There was a moment on Saturday where the ball was knocked over the top for him but he looked at it and it looked as if he didn't believe he would beat the defender for speed over distance. Why is this?

I absolutely LOVE Kazenga. Some of those League One performances made me think we were looking at a future legend in the making. My question is why does he seem reluctant to use his pace over distance. I can think of a few reasons:

1. He is actually only lightening fast over a few yards rather than 100 metres.
2. He used to be fast over 100 metres but isn't any longer since his injury.
3. Kick and run works in League One and not so much in the Championship, so he doesn't bother trying it - but surely as long as you're not a one trick pony, the odd kick and run wouldn't matter.
4. He is fed up of being hacked down. I remember on his way back from injury in pre-season last year he had another cynical challenge made against him.
4. It's what he's been coached to do.

Sorry for the long post, but it's been bothering me for the last year! Thoughts?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He's lightning over short distances, from a standing start. I think Buckley is built to be quicker over longer distances.

Dec 19, 2011
Hove
It amazes me that Kaz makes almost the exact same moves and uses the same tricks/dummies several times during the game against the same defender but it always seems to work . . . but agree that I'm not as excited about watching him at the Amex as I was at the Withdean . .

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
It's surely more tactical than any apparent deficiency he might have, injury or otherwise - he is unstoppable over 5/10 yards, as opposed to Buckley or CMS who probably take longer to get going but would beat him in a 50-yard dash. His tactic is to slow things down until the ball is barely moving and the defender is stationary on his heels, and then explode past him to create the room for a cross or cut inside and shoot. I love how you can see what he's going to do before he does it...slow down, slow down, wait, wait a bit more, then stepover with the right, knock it to the byline with the left and lash a low ball across the six-yard box. Defenders have even been doubling up on him, so one can try to cut out the ball when he knocks it past the first, but he still beats them over a short distance. Of our three wingers he's the best impact sub I think, probably because both Buckley & Noone are better defensively and are slightly less injury prone - I doubt LuaLua will ever complete 90 minutes, whether that's for fear of a hamstring tweak or his stamina isn't as great, but for short bursts with him at 100% and tired defenders slowed down to standing, they're simply not going to get near him.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I don't understand why he has to have the ball played to his feet all the time. Surely a burst of pace also could take him past a defender and into space to receive a pass?

Right now, I think a defender's best tactic is to get really tight on him so he doesn't get the ball played to his feet. It can't be that hard as he is usually not making a penetrating run to receive it nor running off the ball to make space for a colleague. Also, best to defend the nearest corner of the goal area as that's where the cross will go (as Ashley Barnes worked out on Saturday).

Last edited:

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
He's not totally against this, as the fifth goal on Saturday proved - although I agree that as others have said he doesn't take on and SKIN four players at a time anymore, like he used to at Withdean.

I would say that his two loan spells during the Withdean days were probably the most excited I have ever been about watching an Albion player. It's the only time, and I include Vicente and Zamora in this, that I have ever seen EVERYONE around me lean forward in their seats when he received the ball.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
His style is: get the ball in front of a defender, do a step-over with one leg, knock it past the defender with the other then run after it to cross/shoot

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
His style is: get the ball in front of a defender, do a step-over with one leg, knock it past the defender with the other then run after it to cross/shoot

Best to tackle him mid-stepover?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

this is how i see it - seems to work very well - imo his crossing is excellent better than noonaldo.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
In L1 he would beat players but give himself a 'reach' to get to the ball then, before another player got to it. That doesn't work at close quarters, and it got him an injury too, that sent him back to NUFC for a large part of the remaining season.
He can't get away with it at this level either, so it's harder to do without uncompromising tackles coming in, and refs will decide that he didn't have enough control over the ball.
Noone is a 'closer' ball player who can keep the ball on his toe, so he might baffle defenders or get the foul given, where KLL won't.
Both are outstanding and differ from each other. Kazenga can spear a ball in from distance too, where Noone can slalom from the edges of the area.

I sometimes wonder if Noone wouldn't make a decent forward, if he can put in the final killing stab of ball into net.
Kaz - definitely a danger along that line of the area, and free kicks.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick

Which is a vast improvement on the get the ball in front of a defender, do a step-over with one leg, knock it past the defender with the other then run after it to cross/shoot out for a goal kick that he amosot always used to do.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Also worth considering that hit and run won't work against good fullbacks. Obviously jaz wouldn't wanna limit himself to league 1 so hac to develop an extra string to his bow.
Also will be training against bridge and Bruno so will be getting hints off them .

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
He is better now by far. apart from being a by selfish with some of the crosses by the end, he tied their right back in knots. Last effort left the guy on his arse. crossing has improved. Far more dangerous in my view. A nightmare for tiring defenders.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
No question marks for me, cant say I see a major difference other than he seems to cut inside and hit shots less but then to do that Gus needs to play him more.

Every game this season he has barely got 25 mins and a similar story last year.

Give him a few 90's and you will see more of what we saw L1

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It's surely more tactical than any apparent deficiency he might have, injury or otherwise - he is unstoppable over 5/10 yards, as opposed to Buckley or CMS who probably take longer to get going but would beat him in a 50-yard dash. His tactic is to slow things down until the ball is barely moving and the defender is stationary on his heels, and then explode past him to create the room for a cross or cut inside and shoot. I love how you can see what he's going to do before he does it...slow down, slow down, wait, wait a bit more, then stepover with the right, knock it to the byline with the left and lash a low ball across the six-yard box. Defenders have even been doubling up on him, so one can try to cut out the ball when he knocks it past the first, but he still beats them over a short distance. Of our three wingers he's the best impact sub I think, probably because both Buckley & Noone are better defensively and are slightly less injury prone - I doubt LuaLua will ever complete 90 minutes, whether that's for fear of a hamstring tweak or his stamina isn't as great, but for short bursts with him at 100% and tired defenders slowed down to standing, they're simply not going to get near him.

Agree with that pretty much and I think TCB was right about coaching - I'm sure his style didn't help his injuries and the coaching team will try to help him develop a way of playing that utilises his strengths and allows him to play more games and extend his career

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm confused .... he beat his man each and every time he got the ball on Saturday. What's the problem?

2. He used to be fast over 100 metres but isn't any longer since his injury.

Was he? I honestly don't remember the run over 100 metres where we saw this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here