Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Louis Theroux, last night.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm surprised there isn't already a thread about this, did anyone watch Louis in San Quinton (sp) jail?.

It raised a smile when he asked a guy:-

'how long are you in for?'
'584 years, and then 11 life sentences'.

You would have to say something like 'great, you having a big party around the year 2708, with good behaviour'.

(He was behind bars)

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I thought it was a really good programme, but some parts were a bit scary!! The neo-nazi man with a wife and kids back home going out with the gay jewish man was odd to say the least!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The neo-nazi was going out with the gay jew or his wife was (obviously on a plutonic level).

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Very interesting and possibly the most interesting from Theroux yet, IMO (Edit: Ignoring that Baptist Church one). The guy serving 584+ years was remarkably candid about the whole thing... Blatently a psycho, although he claimed otherwise.

It didn't shock me when the prison guard said that over half of the 29 that were released would be back behind bars, some within days. What a rubbish life.

Edit: What did shock me was the laidback way of the new priosners. That guy in the yard was smiling about a potential 83 years for multiple robberies and he was only 19.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
great program - I've thought that the last couple of Louis programs have been a bit weak but last night was back to his best.

Agreed BAG - the gay neo nazi/jew relationship was just bizarre. The nazi guy was built like a brick outhouse whilst the jewish guy was like a young Danny Le Roux!!!

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
The neo-nazi was going out with the gay jew or his wife was (obviously on a plutonic level).

The neo nazi was going out with the gay jew.

This is probably naive, but the thing that took me was how loud it was, there was constantly noise. I certainly would not be able to cope in there for more than 10 seconds!

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Very interesting and possibly the most interesting from Theroux yet, IMO (Edit: Ignoring that Baptist Church one). The guy serving 584+ years was remarkably candid about the whole thing... Blatently a psycho, although he claimed otherwise.

That surprised me too, but what also surprised me was that although he was obviously mentally ill on some level or another, he spoke with an almost soft voice, and came across as quite clever.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
they said thats cos they were playing up to the cameras

Or were they? I'd have thought that there was some element of that of course. But when you're on your own in cells next to eachother without being able to communicate face to face, you must have to shout to one another. That's what me and my housemate reckoned anyway!

There was a guy being released at the end who said he hadnt seen sunlight for 18 years or something, was he overexaggerating, or was this true? I came into it quite late, so did they show him earlier?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That surprised me too, but what also surprised me was that although he was obviously mentally ill on some level or another, he spoke with an almost soft voice, and came across as quite clever.

I think you would have to be quite clever to pull off so many crimes before being detected. He said it was to make a better life for himself, maybe at first, but you might think he began to enjoy the power he had over the victims.

I chuckled when he (almost) complained about things that he was charged with that were false. Alright then, knock 25 years off the sentence!

Whilst he didn't seem to be very threatening or as menacing as you would think, you got the vague feeling that he could rip out your throat with his bare hands and then carry on as normal.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Bugger, missed the last 10 minutes because the darts overran and I was taping Louis. Guess I'll have to download it. Arse.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Anyone Know If Its Repeated??

Only Caught The Last 10 Mins.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I thought it was ok but not up to his usual standard. I didn't see anything that surprised me or anything particularly insightful. Bunch of banged up psychos acting like banged up psychos. Fairly watchable though.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Have you noticed how in these kinds of programmes (documentaries about criminals, gangs etc) the (U.S) citizens always seem to come across as at least reasonably articulate / intelligent? If Louis did a programme on British crims he'd struggle to understand half of what was being said to him (quite literally)!

Is it due to the TV-driven national pastime of expressing yourself loudly and as regularly as poss?....i.e people get used to making themselves understood purely by the level of repetition.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I liked a number of people on there. Playboy Nolan with his arguments for why he squirted a variety of liquids at guards and other walkers-by. Deborah, who i fancied a bit, who seemed jovial and gleeful in the loving relationship with that young hunk his cell was shared with. David Silva, who seemed strangely approachable and calm despite the unveiling of snippets of the torture he'd administered in homes he'd invaded. The religiously frozen paedophiles blaming the Devil for their unspoken acts.
I have tired of Theroux the last few years, but that one last night was telling and moving, and even in the players' cloudy performances there was a social pertinence of division and war and uncertainty and reliance and blind hope.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is there a complete absence of any form of rehab in US prisons or was that just skipped in last night's whistle-stop tour? Given what was presented to us, I doubt many would be surprised to hear high repeat offender rates.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here