Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Los Angeles hotel recommendations please NSC...

Market Porter

Or The Globe
Feb 14, 2008
South Walk
Hi y'all, I'm in LA for a few days in a couple of weeks time. I've found all the other SF and Vegas threads really useful but if anyone can recommend a hotel and location for LA I'd be most grateful.

I don't actually want to be in LA at all but I'm being outvoted by my companions so anything to un-cloud my opinion of this city would be much appreciated.

Oh and I'm not missing a single home fixture in case you were wondering.

Over to you NSC.

:unclesam:

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Venice Beach is quite a nice area, and one of the few pedestrian friendly zones in the city. Good selection of bars/restaurants on hand without needing to drive somewhere. Also Manhattan Beach and Redondo Beach are nice areas, but more quiet/residential that Venice.

Have a great time! :thumbsup:

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I would have to say Venice Beach/ Santa Monica is the best area to stay as well. Redondo isn't bad either but as poster above said is relatively residential and it would also take a while to get to any attractions! Avoid Long Beach though very residential and not the nicest area.

If you look at places north of the airport rather than south you can't go far wrong.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hermosa Beach is worth a look at too. Studenty vibes and some wicked bars.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
LA is such a vast place you need to decide what you was to do, if its just to see the sights and get on a tour bus then a hotel on the outskirts of hollywood is probably best. Not very helpful but we stayed in a small hotel/motel one underground stop north of there, can't remember the name of the place though :facepalm:

Edit: just checked and it was Beverly Garland's Holiday Inn, actually number 24 on trip advisor for LA hotels, its a ten minute walk from the train and the highway is right next door if you are driving.

Last edited:

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
Hermosa Beach is worth a look at too. Studenty vibes and some wicked bars.

i bloody love hermosa beach - Sharkeys bar was possibly the easiest place on the face of the planet to pull with a British accent..."Excuse me, could you please tell me where the toilets are" and BAM!, your in

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
i bloody love hermosa beach - Sharkeys bar was possibly the easiest place on the face of the planet to pull with a British accent..."Excuse me, could you please tell me where the toilets are" and BAM!, your in

Ahhhh yess Sharkeys....!! Brilliant bar. Summed up perfectly there too!

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
I recently had a week there, If you want to be in Hollywood (and I wouldn’t) then Ramsey’s Hotel - The London (opp Whiskey a go go) was well priced.

Venice Beach was really cool, would recommend that and Santa Monica down the road, also if you are doing a tour I would suggest the Rasta Bus (The Rasta Bus - Los Angeles Tours) much more fun than the cooperate tours. I’m into boxing and just knocked on the door at Freddie Roach's Wild Card gym, they were very welcoming and let me sit and watch the pro's train.
I found the whole city really quite, somebody said that L.A is just a myth and I can see that viewpoint, worth going though.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
IMO Santa Monica is the way to go. We went a few years ago and stayed at the good value, well located Cal Mar Hotel Suites. Dated Deco seems to be the feel! Middle ranking on Tripadvisor.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Stayed in Downtown Marriott as part of a package.

Decent hotel,handy for the tube and of course all Downtown attractions.

Possibly a bit pricey,and I'd lean towards Sta Monica area as an "independent " traveller.

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Many years ago we stayed at the Marriott hotel Newport beach, very nice, just outside LA. Great restaurant on top floor with magnificent views over LA.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Go for west Hollywood/b.hills for the proper short term la experience ....

Beverley hills hotel is a favourite of mine

Chamberlain or andaz both good options

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I lived south of LA for several years and avoided going into the sprawl ... but as some others have said Santa Monica is pretty good.
Venice for weirdo's but not my cuppa
Favourite hotel is The Langham in Pasadena, a bit of colonial splendour
The beach cities to the south of LA are nice, Newport Beach Laguna Beach
Tasty Ritz Carlton at Dana Point but not sure of budget

Sea Eagle

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Monica is great, if you want Hollywood go for the W Hotel, really cool hotel bang in the middle of Hollywood.

slimes

Aug 23, 2011
cheltenham
getting around the sites or a night out, my father drives a classic limo (prettywoman/crocidile dundee style)
he charges $50 an hour cash in hand and he adds drinks in too,also pickups and drop offs at the airport(maybe price a little higher as less time ) if you want more info his email is stephencginglis@gmail.com or his number is 2134845010

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
If you cannot do Santa monicA

Try :

Roosevelt hotel Hollywood

Although Hollywood can be a bit rough this is pretty good and unusually for USA actually has history.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here