Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Longest standing pursuit / hobby

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Same here. To expand a bit.....I have cassette recordings of R1 John Peel, Bob Harris, Alan Black and the Jock DJ whose name escapes me from around 1970, through to CITR (Vancouver) in the mid 80s. I have converted some of the rare stuff onto MP3 but alas many will never be played again. I have some vinyls. LPs and 12 inch singles mostly. I posted a list of all my 7 inch singles on NSC some time ago and got pelters for it from a couple of arse hats. :lolol:

I then moved on to CDs with a focus on completism of my favourite 80s (mainly) music. In the late 90s I discovered GEMM a now-defunct global CD vending site that had me buying mountains of stuff from small record stores all over the world (much to the annoyance of my credit card provider who was alarmed that I was apparently spending money in, e.g., Argentina, Israel and Russia on the same day). Then I wandered into short lived illegal MP3 curation/download sites and peer to peer exchanging. That kicked off a bit of an orgy of indulgence. That then brought me into darkwave and related genres. I went out watching live music again after a 15 year hiatus. Now I have a massive collection of MP3 music....

About 10 years ago I found a member-only site that curates old Peel programmes, Whole 2h programmes lovingly converted from listeners' 8 track stereo recordings onto MP3. I have thousands of hours of these downloaded and have barely scratched the surface in terms of listening. They are wondrous. Even the early 70s ones are top quality.

And then there is my iPods. I have 4 all with the same music on them. I lost an iPod once and was so distressed I found I had to keep multiple back ups. These are all now full so I have a new one that I plan to pack exclusively with wave, trap and witch house (my obsessions for the last 10 years). I have thousands of hours of of stuff burned onto CD. Not the smartest storage vehicle but it was the only option when I started, and I started so I'll finish.

If I like a new artist I will buy their entire output directly from them if this is available.

I listen to music for at least 3 hours each day. I have an iPod on random play in the car and another in my work-commute bag. If I forget the iPod as I did today, I have a frightful commute because I have to listen to other people making noise, and that stresses me out.

I suspect all this is an expression of my autism. Collecting, obsessing....and enjoying an almost secret private pursuit. I have thousands of CDs in wall mounted storage. I had the wall reinforced to take the weight. They are all in alphabetical order (obviously :wink: ), but I have thousands more (bespoke burns) that are stored on spindles.

I'll get my coat.
Goodness me - that is some dedication. I understand your posts on the various music threads a bit better now!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Out of interest, and respect for doing it when just about everyone else was going with the Dolphins, but why did you choose the Browns? (At least I think you did)
A really random reason tbh. I used to get Gridiron magazine as a kid, and although I was casually following the Chargers to begin with, in one issue there was a really good photo of Kevin Mack trucking the LA Raiders defense...and I just thought he looked really cool. That was basically it, and 40yrs of hell has ensued....! 😁

Ironically, my youngest lad is a big Dolphins fan, and has a gorgeous retro Dan Marino jersey.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I absolutely love Al Bowlly

Have this Album in my collection

(Interestingly the Ray Noble band featured Glenn Miller as it’s first trombonist for a few months in 1936.)

Also love Victor Sylvester

(I worked in a nursing home many years ago and use to bung on a Victor Sylvester recording and get them quick stepping round the living room :lol:)

Ray Noble is of course Brighton born and one of our greatest ever song writers. Criminally under rated in my view.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
This.

I love the look on peoples faces when yu load a 60 + year old scooter with a weeks shop . . . .it is what they were designed for after all.

similar to a monkey bike, this usually raises a smile. . .not fast but it can break the speed limit from Btn to Worthing all the way.
That is cool. What is it's name? My husband thinks I am nuts but all my bikes have names.

My Monkey bike is called Clyde

1727338781965.png

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Football - since I could walk I've just loved the game, it is my one true passion. My wife is a life long eqestrian and she has a similar story, in that it chose her she didn't chose it, I can relate to that.

My biggest regret was not pursuing a career within the football industry.

In terms hobbies - running & golf. I'm quite good at running (I've won trail races in over 50 cat) and find it the biggest positive wellbeing activity in my life, however I'm quite awful at golf but I enjoy it as I no longer take it that seriously!!!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That is cool. What is it's name? My husband thinks I am nuts but all my bikes have names.

My Monkey bike is called Clyde

View attachment 189391.
None of my toys have names. The only exception being the race car because of its number plate 'PEA'

It's a Lui 50 ( also a Vega 75 here and in Aus ) so it just gets called the Lui, they're pretty unique compared to all 'normal' lambretta

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
I have also been researching my family tree for about 20 years. I have no particular interest in finding famous people, more interested in the ways that populations have migrated over the centuries from europe and rural britain into london and then out across the world. It's a fun hobby, much like writing a never-ending story by creating little patterns of information which bolt together. I have 22,000 in my extended tree

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I was into rock and heavy metal at the time, and the first proper gig I went to was Magnum, On a Story Teller's Night tour at Eastborne Winter Gardens. I say proper, as I had seen a few 'pub rock' acts before this...anyone remember Dumpy's Rusty Nuts? These were good days, and I saw most bands of the era.

First gig would have been Hanoi Rocks but the drummer died and gig was cancelled.

This started something which has never stopped. As a teen rocker/metaller I was often in Brighton seeing bands and travelling to London to see shows regularly. I have encompassed many other forms of music now, but still go and see the big rock bands from time to time (Maiden, Metallica, AC/DC - one with Axl on vocals -, Def Leppard, Motohead RIP); the scale and the pantomime of heavy metal is still great fun.
Saw Dumpys in Oxford a couple of times.

My first gig was Saxon at the Brighton Centre in October 1981. I was gobsmacked how loud they were, after that baptism I never really thought a band was too loud, and I saw Motörhead 40+ times.

I see Uriah Heep are doing a final tour, quite fancied that having seen them a few times over the years, £75 tickets at Bexhill, decided I can live with the memories.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Saw Dumpys in Oxford a couple of times.

My first gig was Saxon at the Brighton Centre in October 1981. I was gobsmacked how loud they were, after that baptism I never really thought a band was too loud, and I saw Motörhead 40+ times.

I see Uriah Heep are doing a final tour, quite fancied that having seen them a few times over the years, £75 tickets at Bexhill, decided I can live with the memories.
Saxon were great. I saw them at The Dome once headlining in the mid-80s and again supporting Motorhead ,I think, around 10 years or so ago . I definitely saw them supporting Motorhhead but am not 100% sure where.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Saxon were great. I saw them at The Dome once headlining in the mid-80s and again supporting Motorhead ,I think, around 10 years or so ago . I definitely saw them supporting Motorhhead but am not 100% sure where.
Think that was Motörhead, Saxon and Danko Jones.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Ray Noble is of course Brighton born and one of our greatest ever song writers. Criminally under rated in my view.
Completely agree.

I used to live in Montpelier Road in my 20s and the house he was born in was just around the corner from me in Montpelier Terrace - It use to have a blue plaque by the front door - not sure if the plaque is still there?

IMG_1291.jpeg

There is another plaque on a wall of a house in Radicon Manor Road Hove that used to be the Sussex Arms pub that Ray Noble drank in apparently
IMG_1292.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here